Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #106
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,924
Look around the internet? are you serious? for all you know those people who posted up about having problems with the links work for motion pro and make a commission selling rivet mushrooming things..What are you going to reference next ? A you tube video of some guy using a grinder to shorten a length of chain. Anybody with common sense knows thats a big no no. between the heat generated effecting the tensile strength not too mention brittleness if cooled too quickly and the abrasive grit thrown all over the rest chain you're just asking for a premature failure of the adjoining links. But you have people all over you tube and even here swearing its ok.
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #107
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Look around the internet? are you serious? for all you know those people who posted up about having problems with the links work for motion pro and make a commission selling rivet mushrooming things..What are you going to reference next ? A you tube video of some guy using a grinder to shorten a length of chain. Anybody with common sense knows thats a big no no. between the heat generated effecting the tensile strength not too mention brittleness if cooled too quickly and the abrasive grit thrown all over the rest chain you're just asking for a premature failure of the adjoining links. But you have people all over you tube and even here swearing its ok.
Wow.

You keep using clip links. I'll keep using rivets. It's your bike and body; not mine.

Let me ask you a question though. Do you truly believe that clip master links have roughly the same failure rate as rivet masters?

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #108
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,217
Amazing how so many millions of riders survived the highly dangerous clip master link era, innit ;-}

This thread is fun.

And getting funner.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #109
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,425
If you use a clip master link you will die in a firey crash! well maybe not
Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #110
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Wow.

You keep using clip links. I'll keep using rivets. It's your bike and body; not mine.

Let me ask you a question though. Do you truly believe that clip master links have roughly the same failure rate as rivet masters?
I can honestly say Ive had one failure and it was right after I installed a new chain. I most likely did not seat it properly as I was in a rush. It popped off within the first few minutes after I rolled backwards down a hill. Most everyone I know runs the clip style without any incidents
Old 04-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #111
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
I can honestly say Ive had one failure and it was right after I installed a new chain. I most likely did not seat it properly as I was in a rush. It popped off within the first few minutes after I rolled backwards down a hill. Most everyone I know runs the clip style without any incidents
I appreciate your honesty in this answer, and hate to be the guy who pounces on it... But you DID say earlier that you had "no problems ever." Having it pop off is a major problem. You were fortunate enough that it popped off when it did, but it could have been worse.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #112
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,217
Quote:
I appreciate your honesty in this answer, and hate to be the guy who pounces on it... But you DID say earlier that you had "no problems ever." Having it pop off is a major problem. You were fortunate enough that it popped off when it did, but it could have been worse.

Just a data point -- many folks, including myself, upon reading "I hate to be the guy" immediately see a mental imagine of you, rubbing your hands together in glee, ready to pounce on any inconsistancy posted . . .

It is a great deal like a post that starts out with, "I'm not a dick, I'm just being honest."

YAY internet arguments!
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #113
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:

Google rivet link failure...Im sure lots of people who are unfamiliar with them have fucked up the installation Everything everywhere has failed somewhere at sometime. You need to compare failure rates of clip vs river vs screw before you can declare victory
Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #114
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
Just a data point -- many folks, including myself, upon reading "I hate to be the guy" immediately see a mental imagine of you, rubbing your hands together in glee, ready to pounce on any inconsistancy posted . . .

It is a great deal like a post that starts out with, "I'm not a dick, I'm just being honest."

YAY internet arguments!
You can think what you want. That wasn't my intention, nor was your mental image at all correct. I hesitated posting it at all, and reworded my post several times before clicking submit.

The only reason that I posted it was because it was more than merely an inconsistency. What he posted was in direct contradiction to what he said earlier. Surely he knew he was typing a lie when he replied to my post calling it "nonsense" and then telling me that he had "no problems ever," only to later tell us of a chain failure he experienced himself directly caused by his clip master link. I would be remiss not to point this out.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #115
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Google rivet link failure...Im sure lots of people who are unfamiliar with them have fucked up the installation Everything everywhere has failed somewhere at sometime. You need to compare failure rates of clip vs river vs screw before you can declare victory
I just did that Google search. I also Googled 'clip link failure' as well.

Here are the search results from 'rivet link failure:' https://www.google.com/search?q=rive...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Here are the search results from 'clip link failure:' https://www.google.com/search?q=rive...w=1366&bih=677

You'll notice if you filter through the results that clip link failures are overwhelmingly overrepresented in both of the searches. I'm not arguing that rivet links don't fail. They obviously do. I'm just saying that I believe clip links fail at a much higher rate than rivet links. I don't have a study to back up my beliefs because AFAIK an unbiased study does not exist. However, stories of clip link failures FAR outnumber rivet link failures, which is enough evidence for me to rivet mine. I'm not aware of any drawbacks to rivet links, so for me, it's an easy decision.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #116
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:

Here are the search results from 'rivet link failure:' https://www.google.com/search?q=rive...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Here are the search results from 'clip link failure:' https://www.google.com/search?q=rive...w=1366&bih=677

You'll notice if you filter through the results that clip link failures are overwhelmingly overrepresented in both of the searches. I'm not arguing that rivet links don't fail. They obviously do. I'm just saying that I believe clip links fail at a much higher rate than rivet links. I don't have a study to back up my beliefs because AFAIK an unbiased study does not exist. However, stories of clip link failures FAR outnumber rivet link failures, which is enough evidence for me to rivet mine. I'm not aware of any drawbacks to rivet links, so for me, it's an easy decision.
Hey I'm an to each his own type of guy. As long as your jsut saying you prefer rivet style and not trying to tell me Im going to die if I use a clip link for even an emergency I can respect that.

Now can we please get back to the original topic... OP have you received any replies yet on your emails?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #117
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Hey I'm an to each his own type of guy. As long as your jsut saying you prefer rivet style and not trying to tell me Im going to die if I use a clip link for even an emergency I can respect that.

Now can we please get back to the original topic... OP have you received any replies yet on your emails?
Agreed. To each their own. Agree to disagree.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #118
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:

I hate being a rare statistic, dammit.

The only chain failure I've ever had in over 40 years riding was a rivet link chain (done at a dealer). The one time I decided to have someone else other than me replace a chain. I have always used the master clip chains.

For me, the drawback was an incorrectly peened/rivet job. Something that ended up stranding me. The most annoying part, was I had a spare masterlink and clip tucked away in my tool kit that I have always carried, but never needed. I couldn't use it to fix the chain, because the failure of the riveted link somehow boogered up the ajoining links too much.

I totally hear you, and am not arguing or trying to change your mind, of course. Just speaking mine.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #119
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by notrivia View Post
Let us hope my e-mails to EK, Regina, and Suzuki may shed some light on this matter.

Any replies from EK, Regina or Suzuki yet? Surely they would want to nip the conspiracy theory right away.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #120
06CCDMAX
Johnny 2-Stroke

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by notrivia View Post
Every time I change the chain I change the sprockets Max just like the manufacturers conditions. Nothing in any way has been done that is not the normal procedure for the chains. Which prompts the question as to why some ware so quickly and other's haven't. The only clue we have is that my 3rd chain and this most recent were in the middle of the adjustment zone, my first two were at the beginning.
You still didn't say if you measured a length of your new chain to see if it's out of spec or not. I'm sure it is. I'd be surprised to hear there ISN'T a chain conspiracy in this day and age.

And on Clip vs. Rivet.. It's usually a master-link that fails. I avoid the hassle altogether. Cut chain at the end of an outside link on one side, and inside link on the other like you were going to half-link it. Then just attach the ends with a cotter-pin. = No master link to fail.
"I run on Caffeine and Klotz. Beer is a bonus
Quote:
You wanna tag some poles together?
06CCDMAX is offline   Reply With Quote