User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
trululu96 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
How cold its south america in july, aug, sep

Hello, Im planning a RTW trip for 2014 the idea is to depart from colombia the 6 of july 2014 we (my dad and I) will be heading south till we get to buenos aires and then fly to capetown, well the deal is that we are concerned about the weather because the winter in the south hemisphere is from june 21 to sept 21.

we got now two options:

Go by venezuela and brazil (so we dont cross the really high mountains)

Go by ecuador, peru, chile and finally argentina (ive heard that this route is much more interesting)

The questions are:
1) it will actually be so cold that we cant cross the mountains safely ?
2) what do you think about the other (venezuela-brazil) route
3) any other thing that you want to say is really welcome

Greetings
Daniel Gomez
trululu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
You can find weather and temp averages for most places in the World on the Internet.
If you can find an Internet connection some where, do a search.

Do you have access to Internet?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,731
Sure seems that the lower the elevations, the less likely you are to run into cold weather problems.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:01 AM   #4
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
It's colder than a well diggers bottom here in the Kentucky mountains this morning!

P.S. bring a riding jacket with a heated liner as your going RTW?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
AZKomet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Been there......SO AM is a variety of temps and weather systems. Rode there in 2011. One day is was dry as a bone and the next it was torrential rains. As far as temps....I never had a cold day ever....Muggy, steamy and even a bit HOT was the norm. I agree the web is the best resource.
AZKomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Since you are a Colombian, expect below Peru and any altitude in Los andes, very cold weather. Never freezing temperatures at low level except Chile, Argentina and evrything below and in between. It could be a warm winter or could be a freaking cold winter. For this God have the answer.

To tell you the thruth, it is the worst time of the year for the Andes and the southern cone countries.
The Andes (Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia), have dry season on these month, which is good for the ride but it will be cold. As for the Andes on hte southern countries better to check the conditions at the borders between countries. They could be closed because of the snow or gelid temperatures.
As for southern Chile, expect rain every single day up to August. Beginning September the spring start showing up and better temperatures.

My 2 cents, never ever cross the Andes after 4pm or sleep in tent overnight. It could be fatal.

Venezuela and Brazil to be the almost end of the rainy season, but expect heavy showers and sometime impassable dirt roads. However , most of the main roads connecting both countries are paved.

Atacama Desert is fine dry and it never rain but it is extremely cold after 6pm and during the night. Most of the nights and early in the morning you'll find a lower fog that make difficult to see the road in front of you. It is very thick and not fun, beside for being dangerous. Well, most riders don't ride at night right?.

Everything is possible, but not like with good weather. Just keep checking the weather condition every week, be well dress for the ride. Have heating devices in your steering and body. Take an Aspirine every morning and protect your neck and face.

South America it is cold over the winter in the high latitudes but rarely below 0 C degrees, so it is somehow better than in the U.S. , except in the high Andes.

I 've ridden from Boston to Miami in winter with 25 -30 F degrees and I've sustained the ride without problems, except at late night hours. So it is possible down there with a little of an effort. If I was doing your trip, I will avoid Chile and Argentina during winter. Instead I would spent more time up to Bolivia and Peru which both have a lot of landscape to show and ride. Leave Chile for another time, from November to March is a paradise.

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net

GastonUSAChile screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 07:30 PM
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #7
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonUSAChile View Post
Since you are a Colombian, expect below Peru and any altitude in Los andes, very cold weather. Never freezing temperatures at low level except Chile, Argentina and evrything below and in between. It could be a warm winter or could be a freaking cold winter. For this God have the answer.

To tell you the thruth, it is the worst time of the year for the Andes and the southern cone countries.
The Andes (Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia), have dry season on these month, which is good for the ride but it will be cold. As for the Andes on hte southern countries better to check the conditions at the borders between countries. They could be closed because of the snow or gelid temperatures.
As for southern Chile, expect rain every single day up to August. Beginning September the spring start showing up and better temperatures.

My 2 cents, never ever cross the Andes after 4pm or sleep in tent overnight. It could be fatal.

Venezuela and Brazil to be the almost end of the rainy season, but expect heavy showers and sometime impassable dirt roads. However , most of the main roads connecting both countries are paved.

Atacama Desert is fine dry and it never rain but it is extremely cold after 6pm and during the night. Most of the nights and early in the morning you'll find a lower fog that make difficult to see the road in front of you. It is very thick and not fun, beside for being dangerous. Well, most riders don't ride at night right?.

Everything is possible, but not like with good weather. Just keep checking the weather condition every week, be well dress for the ride. Have heating devices in your steering and body. Take an Aspirine every morning and protect your neck and face.

South America it is cold over the winter in the high latitudes but rarely below 0 C degrees, so it is somehow better than in the U.S. , except in the high Andes.

I 've ridden from Boston to Miami in winter with 25 -30 F degrees and I've sustained the ride without problems, except at late night hours. So it is possible down there with a little of an effort. If I was doing your trip, I will avoid Chile and Argentina during winter. Instead I would spent more time up to Bolivia and Peru which both have a lot of landscape to show and ride. Leave Chile for another time, from November to March is a paradise.
I'm curious, Why take an Aspirin? To thin the blood? I take them cause I'm old but never heard that one.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
Old 04-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I'm curious, Why take an Aspirin? To thin the blood? I take them cause I'm old but never heard that one.
I said 'an aspirin' just to use the name, even if it most of the people don't take it anymore. Motrin, out of the market and so on.
Basically is to take an Ibuprofen every day to keep good control of any bad cold. mainly throat infection due to the cold air.
To thin the blood?, nope, Coca tea for the altitude every morning at breakfast and late afternoon/evening is the best to control the altitude thickness.

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonUSAChile View Post
I said 'an aspirin' just to use the name, even if it most of the people don't take it anymore. Motrin, out of the market and so on.
Basically is to take an Ibuprofen every day to keep good control of any bad cold. mainly throat infection due to the cold air.
To thin the blood?, nope, Coca tea for the altitude every morning at breakfast and late afternoon/evening is the best to control the altitude thickness.
FYI: FYI, most old farts like me in USA take one 81 mg aspirin(coated & extended release is recommended) to thin blood & to prevent heart attacks. I'm sure no doc but there is in fact NO cure for the common cold... Not being exposed is the best way to prevent getting one. Coca, I'll take you at your word.