ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #46
plumbstraight
plumbstraight

Oddometer: 52
I was always of the opinion that if everyone just stopped doing stupid things so the local enforcement had nothing to chase, they would be out of a job in a few months.
plumbstraight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #47
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,750
Am surprised that there isn't a law in WA that says that all LE vehicles have to be clearly marked so that law-breakers on motorcycles can easily identify them.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #48
Pro_Marinero OP
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
Am surprised that there isn't a law in WA that says that all LE vehicles have to be clearly marked so that law-breakers on motorcycles can easily identify them.
CA does. Tickets can only be issued from marked patrol cars.

Law enforcement is about deterrence by presence, not paranoia. Shall we just stop having police wear uniforms too?

Nobody here is bitching about getting caught, it's bitching about the motive behind the sneaky stuff.
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #49
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro_Marinero View Post

Law enforcement is about deterrence by presence, not paranoia. Shall we just stop having police wear uniforms too?

Nobody here is bitching about getting caught, it's bitching about the motive behind the sneaky stuff.
It got three posts in and everyone ignored it but alas you took the bait. Look at its frequency towards the end. It looked something like this:

shrubitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:42 AM   #50
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
If it was at all about safety they would sit right out in the open in plainly marked cars so people would see them and be more aware of their speed.That don't pay the bills though...
South of Bellingham, north of Burlington there's a south-side weigh station. There is or was a WSP that liked to park on the median on the curve right at the end of the guardrail. His/her location was spooky because it was *BAM!HERE I AM!* on a corner. It spooked the crap out of me as it was TOO good of a spot. Thing is, around 2006 a friends daughter was speeding (no argument there) and crossed over the median and crashed into north-bound traffic at that location. The WSP never took responsibility for it, but I "highly suspect" that she was driving too fast (no argument) and got lit up by the sneaky WSP there. She reacted badly (young driver) and ended up getting killed.

Was the effen ticket worth that?

Was that location "all about safety"?

Nope, it was a great place for the WSPer to go fishing and fill his/her cite book. And I "highly suspect" it got someone killed (though she made her choices too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
What's next, m/c cops on KLRs? Can you say "unmarked milkcrates"?
San Francisco PD uses dual sports. For urban policing they make a TON of sense. More than H-Ds and BMWs in a lot of ways.

Quote:

See my first comment, I think that very low tolerance from marked and not-hidden vehicles makes a lot of sense. If the person is reasonably observant, they'll see the "threat" and adjust. Otherwise, play stupid games, win stupid prize.

As for CA's marked only policy (which I was unaware of), I think that's probably a result of the people that used the gumball in the dash ploy to pull over people to rob/rape/murder. It's a good policy, actually.

Tripl Nikl screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 03:53 AM
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #51
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,587
So has anybody but me looked up the RCW and read the brief?

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #52
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
So has anybody but me looked up the RCW and read the brief?

1911fan
Not yet, working 14 hour days on another continent, but definately plan to when time allows.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #53
Pro_Marinero OP
Carbon Sasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup View Post
It got three posts in and everyone ignored it but alas you took the bait. Look at its frequency towards the end. It looked something like this:

I know, I'm know. It was late and I was tired.

My mind becomes susceptible to Jedi mind tricks after a day like yesterday. Considering you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy like here, I should be cautious.

Pro_Marinero screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 06:39 AM
Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #54
frdbronco8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by tod701 View Post
Up until a few years back the WSP was all "to serve and protect".

Then the Governor hired an out-of-towner to run the WSP with the promise that he could make it a profit making agency.
Speeding tickets tripled in a couple of years.
I recently came back from a road trip through ID, MT, WY, SD and of course WA. I think we saw only one trooper in all the other states combined, and he wasnt running radar. Once we hit WA we saw about 9 just on I-90 on the way home.

And Washington was just complaining about not having enough troopers and having to hire a bunch more.....

I get the whole speeding thing but seriously!
frdbronco8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #55
Island Rider
solo adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Ok 1911 fan, I read the first 10 pages of the cited 43 page brief. It seems to be a well argued well-thought-out well-documented Legal brief supporting the point that unmarked cars are not legal. It it attacks the legality of a unmarked car, the licensing of an unmarked car, and the failure to stop when lit up by an unmarked car.
Definitely useful at your trial. But I'm not going argue that to a patrol officer in the field. I would take the ticket and go to court let the judge read the 43 page legal brief.
Island Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #56
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:

Law enforcement is about deterrence by presence, not paranoia.

You are aware they are out there, started a thread about it, and others have joined in. I'm sure other folks elsewhere have noticed it, and are talking about it too.

"Sneaky"? So what? Sounds like a dam good deterrence by presence to me.

I may not agree with some laws, but they are the law, we either break them or we don't, our choice. I don't want or need a nanny when I ride/drive, but as we all know, there are a lot of really bad drivers out there. The laws are there because of them.

Splitting hairs over the how and why when we choose to break them and get caught seems kinda silly.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #57
Pro_Marinero OP
Carbon Sasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
You are aware they are out there, started a thread about it, and others have joined in. I'm sure other folks elsewhere have noticed it, and are talking about it too.

"Sneaky"? So what? Sounds like a dam good deterrence by presence to me.

I may not agree with some laws, but they are the law, we either break them or we don't, our choice. I don't want or need a nanny when I ride/drive, but as we all know, there are a lot of really bad drivers out there. The laws are there because of them.

Splitting hairs over the how and why when we choose to break them and get caught seems kinda silly.
So you're the good driver but others aren't. A bit narcissistic but I digress...

So where would you draw the line? As I said earlier do police need uniforms anymore? Can we park a drone over your neighborhood? After all, you could be breaking the law and removing the EPA plug on your carb air screw. How about a camera on every block tied to a bank of police observers?

CA doesn't do much right but this one is. Going more and more stealth not only undermines our perception of LE but also provides a huge avenue for abuse. Right about the time some state official's daughter gets raped by an impersonator you'll see these cars disappear. For those that aren't so well-connected though... Too bad.

But I forgot - your "safety" on the road is worth it.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #58
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
So you're the good driver but others aren't. A bit narcissistic but I digress...

So where would you draw the line?
Well driving is my profession, you good at your job too?

I'm only going to worry about what is, not fret about unlikely what if's. When I'm pulling a double trailer set of hazmat I need to keep it real for the safety of you and yours.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #59
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Well driving is my profession, you good at your job too?

I'm only going to worry about what is, not fret about unlikely what if's. When I'm pulling a double trailer set of hazmat I need to keep it real for the safety of you and yours.
Really, a double of hazmat,and you talk about safety. That in itself should be illegal.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #60
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,691
Ok Been lurking long enough,not sure what to say but I do agree that the whole undercover deal is not right,I work for a large company and while it's a good company they are really current on all the cameras and any other way they can monitor their employees and customers,because a private entity post the warning of the monitoring it's legal,but when the government starts being sneaky to catch you that's not right,you can say"well just don't do anything illegal"but as monitoring becomes more common more things become illegal it seems.Ok dang it all came out,gonna stay up and listen to Coast to Coast tonight,it's a all night radio program that digs into a lot of conspiracy stuff,if ya didn't know.UUUHHHGGG I need to go back to ADV and do motorcycle stuff.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote