Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
stuntheavy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Bare minimum for TAT?

Howdy everyone,
Preparing for the tat and looking for insight for GPS options.

Honestly, I have very limites gps usage, other than this ride. What would be my options for the bare minimum GPS to get by on the TAT? I have a hard time justifying a Montana when I may only use it once or twice a year after the TAT.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
skianreid
Boulder Moto

Oddometer: 108
I travel extensively with a GPS. Used fancy ones and I find the best is a simple gecko picked up at a pawn shop for 20 bucks and a good paper map.

Unless you want the use of communication with a spot don't waste your money on a tool you don't need.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:45 AM   #3
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,466
The cheapest way out would be the basic Nuvi. It will give you all the roads with no other frills. It is NOT waterproof however, but could just be put in a ziplock bag. It's doubtful that it will rain everyday anyway.
Have fun on the ride!!
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
thebugslayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
Howdy everyone,
Preparing for the tat and looking for insight for GPS options.

Honestly, I have very limites gps usage, other than this ride. What would be my options for the bare minimum GPS to get by on the TAT? I have a hard time justifying a Montana when I may only use it once or twice a year after the TAT.

I'm in the same boat--basically need a GPS so I can follow tracks with my dual sport. I'm thinking the garmin 78 for $200 from West Marine is the way to go. ymmv.
thebugslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Quote:
Sent from my SCH-I535

Use that thing?
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
GPS for TAT

There are a couple of ways to go....

Simplest would be to get a Garmin 78 from West Marine for $200. Get tracks from Sam and load them into the 78. Note that you will also have to load maps - either purchased or free from GPSfileDepot.

Cheapest would be to get a Garmin Nuvi, get the tracks from Sam and build a map overlay using IMGfromGPX, load the overlay on a microSD card and put into the Nuvi. This takes quite a bit more know how.

In both cases you'd also want to load waypoints for Gas / Food / lodging / camping using either MapSource or BaseCamp.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,904
Quote:
Honestly, I have very limites gps usage, other than this ride. I have a hard time justifying a Montana when I may only use it once or twice a year after the TAT.
I think what 99% of the people on this board would say is that once you use a GPS, you will never ride or drive without it.

Having said that, the $200 78 (or used 76Cx for $75) is great first unit and unless you really get GPS serious, will make you happy for years.

The Nuvi just has too many negatives for a bike unless you just use it once then put it in car. I have Nuvi in Motorhome and love it there.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
stuntheavy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks fellas. I will look into the 78.

The montana 600 looks awfully appealing.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,839
Funny to run across this thread, as I use a Garmin 60csx and am seriously considering carrying it only as a backup to my Samsung GS3 (SCH-I535) smartphone. I've got a handful of offline-map programs installed and need to sort that out and pick one to use (and learn how to use it). The enticing thing for me is being able to update the content whenever I can get a cellular signal without having to carry a laptop. Of course, there still and probably never will be (for me at least) anything better than carrying a good map.

For the TAT though, the ability to easily load tracks and/or routes is where the Garmin really shines.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
stuntheavy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I've thought about using the phone, but honestly with how I ride, I just see the lack of ruggedness/waterproofing resulting in a seriously short lifespan.

I am as green as they get when it comes to gps, so I need all the help I can get.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
I've thought about using the phone, but honestly with how I ride, I just see the lack of ruggedness/waterproofing resulting in a seriously short lifespan.

Every Garmin I've ever owned died, refurbed, then died, refurb, death again, on and on. Multiple bikes, multiple Garmin products. That's why I tossed out the idea of using your phone, I've never had a cell phone quit working, ever. Search around, I bet somebody has figured out how to mount your phone to make it last and a waterproof solution.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,839
There is no RAM-mountable Aquabox for the GS3, at least not that I've found, and the one for the GS2 is just barely too small according the the specs.

Otterbox Defender case and a RAM universal phone/device holder might work, but I can't afford to find out it doesn't, if you know what I mean.

Cell phone in the map pocket of the tank bag is maybe workable.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,742
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think if you are travelling alone you might need 2 GPS units. The second one would be a backup.

The big problem I have found in years of riding is missing a turn and not realizing for a while.

Back east if it happens you will run into a paved road pretty soon and will be able to figure out where you are from the paper maps you are carrying.

Out west this is not the case, especially in Utah and Nevada. You can get totally lost and not have any idea where you are no matter how good maps you have. At least I can.

Then you are in danger of running out of gas backtracking.

Since most people do the TAT from east to west and it can be a rough trip, your GPS will be most likely to break when you need it the most.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think if you are travelling alone you might need 2 GPS units. The second one would be a backup.

Roll chart makes three.

The main problem with the TAT roll charts is that whomever made them is without clue and it would take a person 6 months to actually follow them for the full TAT.