User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
Fishman71 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Question Tyres

Hello All, I am riding from Townsville,Simpson,Alice Springs then across the Plenty Hwy home to Townsville(June). I have almost finished my CRF450X for the trip but I am stuck on tyre choice. Any other advice other than I am using the wrong bike would also help.
Fishman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,619
Mitas E09 or Dunlop D 606 will both do the job .
Old 03-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
gkNQ
Northern Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
The 606's have been very good for my last 3 trips on a 640 with no issues at all. There are a couple of photos in my ride reports that show the wear at the end of the trips across similar country. Have not used a E09 dakar as yet however they get good reviews on the forum, about to order a rear for my 990 to go with a 606 front.

gk
gkNQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,718
I would be going a 606 rear with a mx 51/71 front , have found the bike too lite for any dual purpose tyres - that combo will get just under 4000k's of hard riding
I have been getting told lately "NOTHING" to my questions about space and vacuum, I feel I need funding for a project that could have a Noble prize involved. Space is not nothing 84% is dark matter "dark matter seems to be the scientific word for nothing" I have three experiments that need to be conducted. If any millionaires out there would like to fund my projects and riding career please pm me
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
tyres

With my DRZ, I like to keep a fairly aggressive front tyre on.... It doesn't matter if the back slides around a bit, but you need to be able to steer the thing. I just don't like the feel of the 'DS' fronts (could just be me).

I'm planning similar terrain using Mitas E-09 Dakar rear, and Mitas C-17 or C-21 fronts. Although I'm currently using a Pirelli Scorpion front that's DOT rated, and it handles and is wearing very well.

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman71 View Post
Hello All, I am riding from Townsville,Simpson,Alice Springs then across the Plenty Hwy home to Townsville(June). I have almost finished my CRF450X for the trip but I am stuck on tyre choice. Any other advice other than I am using the wrong bike would also help.
What route are you planning on doing from Townsville to the Simpson? That will have a lot to do with tyre choice, and how much fuel range have you got with a 450x The reason i ask is you can cook a set of tyres going via the large tar sections or if you go by mostly dirt from Charters Towers you will need decent fuel range.

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #7
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,838
You may like to have new tyres in Birdsville? Post them to yourself (post resante? - look it up) about 2 weeks before you get there (check on the post delivery times - go for an arvial there for your tyres about a week before you actually get there - that way they should be there waiting for you). Maybe a service kit so you can change filters etc too?

Have fun.
Warin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:07 AM   #8
nzrian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
+1 on the mitas e-09 dakar, i did 6500km on a set on the dr650, brisbane, across simpson, alice springs and back to brissy via the plenty.
very happy with the tires, they were shot when we got home though.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:59 AM   #9
Fishman71 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback jack View Post
What route are you planning on doing from Townsville to the Simpson? That will have a lot to do with tyre choice, and how much fuel range have you got with a 450x The reason i ask is you can cook a set of tyres going via the large tar sections or if you go by mostly dirt from Charters Towers you will need decent fuel range.
T/ville, Torrens creek, work my way down to Windorah. 30ltrs in the tanks plus, 15/47 gearing,around 500km range loaded( then fuel bladder if needed). I will be traveling as light as I can.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:07 AM   #10
barra
trying to get there

Oddometer: 1,357
I normally run 606's. I'm running a e09 on the rear at this point in time. The only definate difference is ,the e09 locks up a lot easier in the dirt than the 606. At times this can be a annouying. But still a good tyre. Also ,on the tar, the e09 lets the motorcycle lean into a corner easier.
barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:16 AM   #11
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
T/ville, Torrens creek, work my way down to Windorah. 30ltrs in the tanks plus, 15/47 gearing,around 500km range loaded( then fuel bladder if needed). I will be traveling as light as I can.
You may be borderline on getting a full round trip on a set of 606's with that amount of tar first up. I wore a set out in 3000 k with 50/50 tar/ dirt on a DR, but i'm a fat bastard. If you want a good dirt loop down to Windorah we can point you in the right direction.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:11 AM   #12
Fishman71 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
You may be borderline on getting a full round trip on a set of 606's with that amount of tar first up. I wore a set out in 3000 k with 50/50 tar/ dirt on a DR, but i'm a fat bastard. If you want a good dirt loop down to Windorah we can point you in the right direction.
Open for all directions. Just picking through maps for the trip as I will be on my own( rest pulled out)
Old 03-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #13
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Open for all directions. Just picking through maps for the trip as I will be on my own( rest pulled out)
Have you got set dates? There's a group leaving T'Ville for Birdsville in about 4 weeks if your interested. The AQR.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:00 AM   #14
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,359
Quote:
Just be aware that Aramac is very unreliable for fuel.

As far as tyres go, I like 606's but I have been liking T63's on my 640.
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:07 AM   #15
Fishman71 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Have you got set dates? There's a group leaving T'Ville for Birdsville in about 4 weeks if your interested. The AQR.
Leaving on Sunday 2nd June to be in Alice Thursday some time.