ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #31
internalcombust OP
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Sounds great! We are getting the ball rolling.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #32
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
You might want to look into private schools in different areas too. From my little bit of Google searching it looks like Maine is in the top 10 for public schools while we are in the bottom 10. I thought I was better edjumacated than that. Lol just a thought.
KJD19892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:53 AM   #33
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD19892 View Post
You might want to look into private schools in different areas too. From my little bit of Google searching it looks like Maine is in the top 10 for public schools while we are in the bottom 10. I thought I was better edjumacated than that. Lol just a thought.
I can't believe our public/government schools are in the bottom 10. I've been here almost 5 years & my daughter has been to 2 schools up here. Both were light years above the schools in Florida, where I fealt like an abusive parent for sending my kids to them.

Here in Tennessee they don't kick you out of school for defending yourself if some punk a$$ walks up & starts punching you in the face. I spent 13 years in S. Fla. public school & the only thing I learned was how to not get stabbed or hooked on crack.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:57 AM   #34
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
I can't believe our public/government schools are in the bottom 10. I've been here almost 5 years & my daughter has been to 2 schools up here. Both were light years above the schools in Florida, where I fealt like an abusive parent for sending my kids to them.

Here in Tennessee they don't kick you out of school for defending yourself if some punk a$$ walks up & starts punching you in the face. I spent 13 years in S. Fla. public school & the only thing I learned was how to not get stabbed or hooked on crack.
Those ratings are for the entire state. Like everywhere else there is a huge variation from county to county and city to city in TN.. Very rural and intercity schools tend to score more poorly than those in small to medium sized cities. Where there is local industry (i.e. relative affluence) the schools tend to be better. IMHO it usually comes down to the involvement and interest of parents.
thump! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #35
internalcombust OP
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD19892 View Post
Schooling is very important to us and we have found the eastern part of the state has much more to offer. Our daughter is also very active in martial arts so we hope to be able to keep the ball rolling with that as well. I spoke with Phil last night and came away feeling great about the prospect of eastern TN.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #36
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,805
Carl, were you at CroMag last year? If so, you and Hawk (posted on last page) might have met.

Good luck
Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #37
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
Schooling is very important to us and we have found the eastern part of the state has much more to offer. Our daughter is also very active in martial arts so we hope to be able to keep the ball rolling with that as well. I spoke with Phil last night and came away feeling great about the prospect of eastern TN.
MMA is big in Tennessee, you can easily see live minor league shows once or twice a month if you're willing to drive 100 miles in any direction. Many churches have mma youth training programs, as well as profesional schools in the bigger cities.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #38
internalcombust OP
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
Carl, were you at CroMag last year? If so, you and Hawk (posted on last page) might have met.

Good luck
Yes! I have been the last 4 years running. One of the best events of the year IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
MMA is big in Tennessee, you can easily see live minor league shows once or twice a month if you're willing to drive 100 miles in any direction. Many churches have mma youth training programs, as well as profesional schools in the bigger cities.
This is fantastic! Our daughter is only 8, but she has been doing Karate for 2 years and BJJ for about 6 months.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #39
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Quote:
Yes! I have been the last 4 years running. One of the best events of the year IMHO.

I know you and I have met before, not sure if you and Hawk ran into each other though.

Some good Rallies down this way too, just watch out, there are a bunch of Morans running around. You should come down to Rick's Rendezvous in May or BYOB in June... you know, to do research on the area

The Rendezvous isn't far from the area you're thinking about.

Cheers,

Lance
Old 04-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #40
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,180
Very good martial arts studio in Athens TN. My son received his black belt from them and another one in Florida. He also wrestled 3 years at Athens high school. I can still kick his ass...

Quote:
Old 04-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #41
internalcombust OP
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Quote:
I know you and I have met before, not sure if you and Hawk ran into each other though.

Some good Rallies down this way too, just watch out, there are a bunch of Morans running around. You should come down to Rick's Rendezvous in May or BYOB in June... you know, to do research on the area

The Rendezvous isn't far from the area you're thinking about.

Cheers,

Lance
Were you up near the lean-tos, or did we meet at the fire? What were you riding? I meet so many folks at these events it can be hard to keep track of them. The beer may have something to do with it as well......

Quote:
Originally Posted by philp38 View Post
Very good martial arts studio in Athens TN. My son received his black belt from them and another one in Florida. He also wrestled 3 years at Athens high school. I can still kick his ass...
For now.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #42
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Up under lean-to's the "screech" night 2010 when it REALLY rained, mostly down by fire last year. Silver GS the first couple years, yellow DR trucked up from VA last year

And yes I have about 300 friends up and down the East Coast who I could not pick out of a lineup

If you come to RDV you will (theoretically) know me, Hawk, Kyle B (guy who had the bigass coffee maker), Laconic (came up from NC), Mark_O (New York guy), and maybe Old_Lion. Just be sure to introduce yourself.

There is a pretty good group that plays together a lot in the NC/SC/TN/GA/WV/VA region- there are several 75+ (and 75+++) rallies in the area, and lots of smaller events like Recompense (which I have tried to get up there for twice but just couldn't). That Northern GA/Eastern TN/Western NC area is just great.

The weekend of the 21st-ish there is a rally in Murphy, NC (the Dirty Beaver), that is right near Tellico Plains, TN. Check with Hawk, he's going I think. Hell you could even fly into Knoxville and rent a bike ( google GSM motorent).
Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #43
internalcombust OP
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Quote:
Up under lean-to's the "screech" night 2010 when it REALLY rained, mostly down by fire last year. Silver GS the first couple years, yellow DR trucked up from VA last year

And yes I have about 300 friends up and down the East Coast who I could not pick out of a lineup
I hear you there. I don't know If I will have time to make it rallies other than the ones I have planned already. I am headed to the Gaspe around that time as well. I have a feeling I will be doing a lot of home projects to get the house ready to sell. The wife is still on board with the move, so things are getting real.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #44
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Look around Oak Ridge, I think their schools rank pretty high, the people I know from there are much more involved with the schools than other places.
Oak Ridge has many High tech industries plus a huge nuclear industry and alot of research, so there should be jobs available for a stainless steel Fabricator.
It is also very close to alot of great riding, on and off road.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #45
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
I am a stainless welder fabricator by trade and I am also proficient in Autocad.
I heard they were hiring at Watts Bar Power Plant a few months ago.

minimike