User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
milzispete OP
Conquistador

Oddometer: 250
ktm 690 Enduro or Husaberg FE570?

I've had a 2009 KTM Enduro R for a little while now but I'm wondering if it was the right bike. I loved it with all my heart until I purchased a KTM Freeride 350 for my wife. You just can't get me of it. The little bike will get over stuff you just wouldn't believe. The Freeride has really brought on my riding and really gives you the confidence to tackle anything.

The problem is I now want to tackle the same stuff a little further from home when I'm out on the 690 and there is just some stuff I can't get over due to the lack of traction, piss poor steering lock and the extra bit of weight. It's a fantastic bike for 95% of the time when out on trails but I'm wondering if a Husaberg FE570 might be better. I know the FE570 and 690R are not exactly in the same class but I'm wondering which would be better for 4-7 day trails on about 90% trail riding. I like the idea of the long far flung trips on the 690 kitted out with all the latest bling from rally raid, but if honest it's probably never gonna happen.

Has anybody ever owned both for any length of time?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,570
Not quite the same scenario, but pretty close

I have 3 bikes actually: 09 690r, 01 520 EXC, and a 02 250 EXC - all great bikes for 3 separate reasons

I too quested the 690 in hopes that this 43yo could narrow down the line up to one single bike - possibly 2. Cant be done I say

You love the 690 for its versatility on both pave and dirt, and it truly is a great 50/50 bike. The line gets drawn when I hop on my 520, even though its aging, it still puts the biggest smile on my face. The 520 just screams fun and fits the bill on the trails all day long. Light enuf to conquer the tighter trails, powerful enuf to climb anything I throw at it, definitely my choice for anything off road related. As long as I dont have great pavement distances to travel, thats where I miss the 690, toss in the occasional 2 up road sessions with the wife too.

I say that if you dont spend much time on the pave - buy the Berg and dont look back. Plus its just fukn purty.

Im pondering selling my 250, which is my trials/motoX/HS/play bike, and my 520 to fill the spot with a 350/500 EXC or DS berg
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
milzispete OP
Conquistador

Rekluse also make auto clutches for the 570 but not the 690 which may help mask my lack of talent

It's not so much that the 690 is tough to ride on the tricky stuff that bothers me. It's when I just can't get up up there no matter how many times I try that fecks me off. I have to turn back kicking myself knowing the 350 would have flown up there. How MUCH better is your 520 on rocky hill climbs with 180 deg switchbacks?

On the 690 I lose traction on steep inclines with loose rock, the rear bounces out and I'm done. I can't get a run up due to the 180 Deg switchback turns and shite steering lock
Old 03-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Ads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10

May be if you put a trail tyre on the 690 and run it about 10 psi or use soft mooses and see how you get on.
Ads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
01Belgarda600
Bourbon Guzzler

Oddometer: 25
I nearly sold my bike after the first off road trip.

I agree on the tyre and maybe suspension and gearing. I geared down my bike, put Kenda's front and rear and it completely changed the bike. The rear preload and rebound might want looking at. I can change mine from riding a fence rail to an arm chair. It all helps to keep the wheel on the ground. Air preasure alone changes how the front handles and grips. Have a much around with it
01Belgarda600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,818
Search B1 threads on here, he did a write up about the bikes not long ago.

Tip, he owns the 570 now.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post20954829

http://ktm-690r-test-review-problems.blogspot.com.au/

xronly

Cruz screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 04:46 PM
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzispete View Post
Rekluse also make auto clutches for the 570 but not the 690 which may help mask my lack of talent

It's not so much that the 690 is tough to ride on the tricky stuff that bothers me. It's when I just can't get up up there no matter how many times I try that fecks me off. I have to turn back kicking myself knowing the 350 would have flown up there. How MUCH better is your 520 on rocky hill climbs with 180 deg switchbacks?

On the 690 I lose traction on steep inclines with loose rock, the rear bounces out and I'm done. I can't get a run up due to the 180 Deg switchback turns and shite steering lock
My 520 had to be bred with a mountain goat

Its a good 50+lbs lighter than my 690, it has a greater range of steering, and puts way more useable power to the rear. I can lug it in 1st/2nd all day without stalling - just make sure you have the e fan for better cooling

I have taken the 690 on some great treks, almost the same places that the 520 has been, just that the 520 did it better. Put more pavement into the scenario and its a whole different ball game = advantage 690. Plus my 690 is my mid size adventure bike - throw on a tank bag, and some soft panniers and I got me a weekend getaway for 2

Have both
Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
milzispete OP
Conquistador

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
My 520 had to be bred with a mountain goat

Its a good 50+lbs lighter than my 690, it has a greater range of steering, and puts way more useable power to the rear. I can lug it in 1st/2nd all day without stalling - just make sure you have the e fan for better cooling

I have taken the 690 on some great treks, almost the same places that the 520 has been, just that the 520 did it better. Put more pavement into the scenario and its a whole different ball game = advantage 690. Plus my 690 is my mid size adventure bike - throw on a tank bag, and some soft panniers and I got me a weekend getaway for 2

Have both

Why isn't anybody making this any easier for me

I do actually really like my 690. I have the injection sorted and it's spot on everywhere. My suspension is set up for my weight. I have it set up with tubliss tire inserts meaning I can run with tires at 8psi without flats and its a fooking hoot on everything but the really tight stuff. Maybe I should try a new set of rims and MT43 trials tires but I don't want to dump any more money into it if it isn't going to get me anywhere new. The berg I was thinking of getting is a used 2011 model so I shouldn't lose too much money on it if I sell it on.

The wife will of flip of course but if I use my manly charms she might let me back in the house. I will have to sleep with the dog in the kitchen for a while but I can live with that.

I'm gonna hate being hit on the nose with a news paper every time the dog leaves her a present tho. I will be getting the blame for everything for a while I reckon
Old 04-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #9
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
If your wife let you sleep in the kitchen she ain't that bad.

Go 570. Your heart has allready made the desicion, just have to get your mind to it aswell. And after all, biking is about fun, ain't it?

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,142
Put a trials tire on the rear of the 690 and run it at about 9 lbs of air pressure. If you will be riding some longer road stretches to get to the trail consider the Pirelli MT43 trials tire...its a little harder compound than the full blown trials tires but it still offers great traction and holds up better to stretches on the pavement and higher speeds.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
milzispete OP
Conquistador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Put a trials tire on the rear of the 690 and run it at about 9 lbs of air pressure. If you will be riding some longer road stretches to get to the trail consider the Pirelli MT43 trials tire...its a little harder compound than the full blown trials tires but it still offers great traction and holds up better to stretches on the pavement and higher speeds.
Thanks everyone for the input. Do you reckon I would get away with the standard 2.5" rim with a trails tire? Even just to see if it makes the 690 a better tough trail bike. I searched for an answer on google for a while but can't find much info. I really don't do much road riding on it. It's pretty much all easy trails leading to hard ones.
I also like running the tubliss system which is made for a 2.15" rim. I'm probably getting away with it at the moment because I'm running tires with pretty heavy side walls (K60 scouts or pirelli FIM pro's).
Your thoughts on how risky it is on a thin walled tire? I'm only looking for it to last long enough to see if it's worth keeping the 690 and getting a 1.6" and 2.15" set of rims.

I almost wish I bought a GS so I could just declare it a turd and go for the 570
Old 04-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the input. Do you reckon I would get away with the standard 2.5" rim with a trails tire? Even just to see if it makes the 690 a better tough trail bike. I searched for an answer on google for a while but can't find much info. I really don't do much road riding on it. It's pretty much all easy trails leading to hard ones.
I also like running the tubliss system which is made for a 2.15" rim. I'm probably getting away with it at the moment because I'm running tires with pretty heavy side walls (K60 scouts or pirelli FIM pro's).
Your thoughts on how risky it is on a thin walled tire? I'm only looking for it to last long enough to see if it's worth keeping the 690 and getting a 1.6" and 2.15" set of rims.

I almost wish I bought a GS so I could just declare it a turd and go for the 570
My biggest reason for not mounting up Trials type tires is that they cant handle pavement speeds for any amount of distance - simply just not ment for that at all.

Maybe just a soft sticky tire - doesnt have to be DOT (they never check anyways) I have a Pirelli (forgot what model tire it is till I get home) non DOT tire mounted on my 520, and so far its wearing like iron, its provided plenty of grip in all areas, plus it is decent on the short pavement jaunts at 60ish - the only place I dont care for it is on loose gravel, but there is hardly a tire that is good there anyways.

My biggest problem with my 690 is how the original owner set it up, as far as gearing goes. The bike is newer to me, and I just have to make it better for myself (didnt find the time last year - just rode it). That being said, It does suffer from traction, where the 520 is far better. So my thoughts are to change the gearing and find the right tire to make this bike shine better in my eyes. If I can get the 690 to handle the same areas + give the same confidence as I do on my 520 - then I will give more nod to the bigger steed.

I dont know if that helps

PS - Yesterday I started shopping for a 500 EXC (possibly a 350 or used Berg 570) - so if there is room to spare in that dog house, let me know
Old 04-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #13
01Belgarda600
Bourbon Guzzler

Oddometer: 25
Bikes are like nipples, they need tweeking

I bought my bike for steep climbs and decents and it was scary with standard tyres (road legal knobbies) and standard gearing. 25km/hr at idle in 1st gear just before it was at stalling point. Me and the bike weigh nearly 250kg and trying to stop that weight on one front wheel down hill on average tyres is rediculous. I replaced the gearing from standard to a 15 to 51 set up and the seller told me i was mad, I told him if i was wrong he would sell a another set. Anyway it dropped it to 15km/hr idle and coupled with a tyre that gripped I was the "The Man From Snowy River" after that. When stock the bike would run out of pull at 160km/hr with new gearing it can do 150km/hr and hit the rev limiter. It dosent rev to hard at 100km/hr on the road and who does 150km/hr in the bush all day anyway? The other plus is usable power up hill, I can climb and lean over the handle bars with throtle and steering control untill the thing flips, damn physics! I have just ordered my new chain and sprokets and still run the same gearing. The only downer is 7 litres only last 100+ kms then you have 3 left for reserve. Not sure if this helps, but its what changed my perspective on my bike. Hope you can convert the measurements..haha
01Belgarda600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #14
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Why isn't anybody making this any easier for me

I do actually really like my 690...The berg I was thinking of getting is a used 2011 model so I shouldn't lose too much money on it if I sell it on.

The wife will of flip of course...
Keep the 690, at least for awhile.

Buy the 570, because you won't really know until it sits in your garage and you can spend time on it.

Justify it to yourself by realizing that rims and tires for the 690 will be about what you'll take as a loss on the Berg if you resell it. (or maybe not if you get it at a good price.

Tell the wife it's all temporary, or that one of them is for her...
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #15
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
Keep the 690, at least for awhile.

Buy the 570, because you won't really know until it sits in your garage and you can spend time on it.

Justify it to yourself by realizing that rims and tires for the 690 will be about what you'll take as a loss on the Berg if you resell it. (or maybe not if you get it at a good price.

Tell the wife it's all temporary, or that one of them is for her...
And ALWAYS remember: Its easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission

If he does buy the Berg and keep the 690, he will be in the same scenario as Im in = Happy Owner of 3 bikes instead of one or 2 in his case unless you include his wifes bike.

MAYBE you just need to buy another 350 like your wifes and keep the 690 too