User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
New 690 Duke

Have any of you FFs managed to get your grubby paws on one of these? Opinions please.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Teabar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Thumb

Hi Lyle,
Hope it's not too late for you but I've had a 2012 for just over a year now but I've only managed to put about 2.5K miles on it. However, 2 thirds of them were in the Pyrenees last summer and I can tell you that there's not a bike in the world that I would have rather ridden. It was the perfect mix of weight and power for the twisty terrain, and it got a lot of looks as well given that it was something different to the normal touring genre (hundreds of GSs and Triumphs). One thing I really like about the bike is that you feel like you are riding it rather than been brought along for the ride. For a single the power delivery is really smooth and progressive. Also, an added bonus is that it's one of the most frugal bikes on the road, though not a frugal as some mags make out in their shootouts. I get about 55mpg - I'm a bit lardy if truth be told :-)

There's no wind protection to speak of but I was able to do decent distances quite easily (between 5 and 8 hours a day). Keeping the speed down - circa 70mph - really helps. If you want to do very long blasts at 75 and above then this isn't the bike for you. The seating position is comfortable and the high bars help your back and wrists.

I went looking for a Monster 796 but came away with one of these. I'm glad I did. I'm off to the Italian and Swiss Alps next month and can hardly wait.
Steve
Teabar is offline   Reply With Quote