Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Hubbman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Nagging ABS/ASC QUESTION

Hey guys,

Just wondering who among you stops to turn off ABS and ASC before riding loose dirt/gravel fire road (for you N Cal folks, think Old Coast Road).

I've never experienced it, but I keep hearing stories about GS riders riding down steep dirt roads with ABS on, making the brakes ineffective, or even worse!

Also curious as to how this changes your riding habits beyond using the rear brake more frequently.

Thanks
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
RomaDakota
Illuminatus

Oddometer: 1,338
Not disabling ABS will affect your stopping capabilities; the brakes will oscillate as the wheel(s) slip a bit in the gravel, etc.
Not disabling ASC will affect your going capabilities; the engine will cut out as the rear wheel slips a bit in the gravel, etc.

Try it on a level gravel road first without shutting anything off. You will get the idea for the need to shut them off.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,178
I have ridden alot of fire roads in Colorado and I leave mine on just because I'm too lazy to stop and turn it off. having said that, i don't find it difficult to manuver the bike or stop. having said that i doubt that i'm very fast on the roads as compared to others.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Most of the time I ride off road, I am really going off road so there is no question about having time to switch off the ABS. Last year, I did a moto tour in South America and we did a LOT of transitions from street to dirt and there were a number of times when I really wished that the ABS could be turned off while on the move. A lot of my fellow riders (all riding rented BMW F650GS models) didn't get the idea of turning off ABS and couldn't figure out why I kept stopping when we hit dirt. It was a hassle but a minor one.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
It depends. If it's just a short stretch of pretty benign dirt road, I'll just switch the traction control to Enduro mode (which you can do on the fly). I don't bother to switch off ABS unless It's a long enough stretch or there's a steep descent. If I know I'm going to be in the dirt for a while, I'll stop, turn off ABS, change the ESA to one of the offroad modes, and switch TC to Enduro mode.