Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
motomatto OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I want to buy a 990 Adventure but...

Hey folks.

Is the 990 Adventure a viable option for a short touring and commuting (in addition to all the dirt flying)?

Here's my conundrum. I grew up riding dirt bikes -- single track through the dense forests of Washington state. I love adventure bikes and had (and loved) a 650GS a few years back.

Now I want a bike that can do short tours (few days), commute, but also get on the dirt. I'm looking at the Ducati Multistrada, which is a total blast and fits my requirements. BUT...it's not very dirt-worthy.

I see the 990 Adventure and my heart aches to ride it. But for practical riding (touring/commuting) it doesn't seem a good fit.

What is your take?
motomatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,612
Don't understand your hesitation. Seems like the perfect bike per your description.

Perfect.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
hehe.... WOW.
I never heard anyone say the ADV was not a good tourer or commuter bike....EVAR!

I don't have an ADV but from what I have heard/read(on this site) it is great at all 3 things...dirt/commuting/touring.

Just go take one for a test ride. But make sure u bring your cheque book
For the record, I have a 950 SUPER ENDURO and will say that the engine puts out great power. I imagine the 990 engine is even more impressive.

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,061
I ride mine to work every day that I can. I only have room in my life for one bike, so I need a dirt bike, a road bike, a commuter bike, and a touring bike. There is nothing out there better at all of these than the LC8 KTMs. Period.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
motomatto OP
Adventurer

Let me clarify...

Thanks for all your replies. Let me clarify one thing.

My biggest concern is butt pain management and two-up riding. The GS had a super comfortable seat and riding position, the 990 Adventure looks like a dirt-bike seat which it not made for long days.

Am I being a wimp here. Maybe me ass is bonier than most???

How does your derriere do after 4 hours on the road?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
While we're all here, maybe you could explain this other thread you just started, wanting to buy a Multistrada?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post21071903

As for seat comfort, I've had 3 different seats on my GS, finally settling on a Russell Day Long custom seat.
But first you need to know what you're going to put it on
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
motomatto OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
While we're all here, maybe you could explain this other thread you just started, wanting to buy a Multistrada?
I'm considering both the Multistrada and the Adventure (see above). I originally posted on the ROAD forum, but thought this might be a better place. Unfortunately (or fortunately) someone replied to the post on the ROAD forum, so I left it. Wasn't meaning to clog up the place. My apologies.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Before deciding on a bike, I'd be sure I was willing to live within the limits of its abilities. Both are fun bikes, with more attention to fun than touring. But the KTM is actually good off road (for a heavy bike) and the Multi is a great sport tourer that's almost adequate on dirt roads.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
BK
Electron herder

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomatto View Post

My biggest concern is butt pain management and two-up riding. The GS had a super comfortable seat and riding position, the 990 Adventure looks like a dirt-bike seat which it not made for long days.

I have the 990 with the KTM low, gel seat. After hours in the saddle, it feels like angels have been gently supporting my delicate booty. And I'm old!

It has a very comfortable seating position, that's one of the reasons I bought it.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,458
990 ADV is one of the best all around M/Cs out there. There are ways to address the saddle to where a 500 mile day will not kill your arse. Granted, its not a GL1800, but then again I'd like to see a GW on single track, then drop out onto a back road and start passing sport bikes

Based upon what you state you want the bike to do, it will do all of it and more.

Quote:
Hey folks.

Is the 990 Adventure a viable option for a short touring and commuting (in addition to all the dirt flying)?

Here's my conundrum. I grew up riding dirt bikes -- single track through the dense forests of Washington state. I love adventure bikes and had (and loved) a 650GS a few years back.

Now I want a bike that can do short tours (few days), commute, but also get on the dirt. I'm looking at the Ducati Multistrada, which is a total blast and fits my requirements. BUT...it's not very dirt-worthy.

I see the 990 Adventure and my heart aches to ride it. But for practical riding (touring/commuting) it doesn't seem a good fit.

What is your take?
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,381
I've used my 990 Adv for commuting - 35 miles each way - and it did just find for that duty. I've done 300-400 miles days on mine and I'm fine with the seat. It's slightly better than the Ducati ST2 that I used to ride for all day comfort.

Go ahead and buy one, you should like it. It's a great do-everything motorcycle. That's the main thing I like about mine - whatever type of riding I happen to feel like at the time, I know the KTM can do it. (Okay, tight single track isn't quite so great, but I have an XR650L for that.)
Old 03-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 624
Quote:

Just got back from a 2K mile trip yesterday and my butt feels just fine.

el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
KTMbageera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Laugh

If you want a nice sport bike, go with the Ducati or Beemer. If you want a dirt bike on steroids, then opt or the 990R.

I have a 09' 990R that I ride around town, blast on open dirt roads and tracks, and ride province to province in Cambodia covering 300 to 500 kilometres a day for multiple days. I used to do that travel on a WR450f and then a KTM 450MXC. I am used to hi mileage every month on my dirt bikes, so seats are not so much of an issue. I ride 5 / 2 routinely. 5 klm siting, 2 klm standing, rotating all day except when terrain dictates one or the other.

My 990R is an extension of this habit, feeling equally comfortable standing on it as I do with my 450. THAT is the beauty of a 990 for dirt bike oriented dudes.

Those other bikes are for street bike guys who want to get their bikes dusty..... a little bit. Just check out the stand up riding position on the Ducati or BMW, or Tenere, or Tiger. They do not inspire stand up, grip the tank with your thighs, roll on the throttle and steer with your feet off road riding that a KTM does.

They are all nice bikes. Just not dirt bike machinery.
KTMbageera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #14
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
I have the hardparts gel seat nd can do a 400 mile day of mixed roads and not even think about my butt.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
motomatto OP
Adventurer

You guys are awesome

Thanks for all the feedback. Just when I thought I had finally made a decision the Ducati, you all turn it around for me.

Now I just need to find a 990 Adventure for $6-7K.

Thanks!