Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
Dr LC8
...soon or later

Oddometer: 797
Forget the Multistrada for off.
Just go for the 990!

That is what I have done with the same bike:

Sounds like is what you are looking for?

Nic
2010 KTM 400 EXC
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomatto View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. Just when I thought I had finally made a decision the Ducati, you all turn it around for me.

Now I just need to find a 990 Adventure for $6-7K.

Thanks!
Considering your background I really didn't see a happy fit with the Duc. It's really a street bike, that you can take down the occasional well groomed dirt road.

I don't think you'll find a 990 in your price range, but I wouldn't rule out a 950 Adventure. It'll be a couple of years older, but still boatloads of fun and take you places the Multi won't.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #18
motorcyanide
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Just got a 2012 990A about a month ago. Awsome bike so far. Makes it easy to be a complete hooligan. If you ride dirt bikes you will feel at home on this bike. Go for it!
motorcyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
skier
genius or insanity?

Oddometer: 185
Versatility

I have about 28k miles on my 990, short commutes, local jeep roads, desert trips and one cross-country trip to Maine. If you get the seating right for you, it would seem to fit your needs. I'm a one-bike-at-a time guy, except for projects, and this one is hard to beat.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #20
Norsk62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I gave up a BMW for the 990 ADV

I used to have 5 bikes in my stable. Now I am down to just 2. A 2006 DRZ400S and a 2012 KTM 990 Adventure that is brand new and I am at the first service for break in.

Great bike. Lots of power. Handle well. The only short comings is its fuel mileage at 33 mpg and no fuel gauge. But from what I heard mileage slightly improves after break in to around 38 mpg. Not great, but that the trade off for all that power. All things considered, this is where my old BMW shined. Averaging around 46 mpg.

I commute and tour. Short and long distance. Riding up to 12k a year. The 990 out of the box is not designed as a long distance touring bike. But Neither is the GS. Both require some add ons and tweaking to make them long distance contenders.

Here in the Seattle area where I live and ride all year around. The 990 is almost too much power on the wet roads of fall and winter. Throttle control plays into keeping this beast under control. It comes into it's own on dry roads and in the dirt, but with a lot of wheel spin. Had to finess the throttle a bit more to control. Otherwise this stump puller is a very fun and enjoyable bike to ride.
Norsk62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #21
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
How can wheelspin be a negative? (atleast that's what i understood of your post)

Why the ADV990 over the Multi?
The Multi is a comfortable sportsbike with 0 dirtworthyness.
An ADV990 is like a big and very comfortable dritbike. The ADV990 can do anything a Multi can + more. On top of that, it's cheaper and easyer to maintain if u got the intrest to do it yourself
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #22
Capt.saveaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Thanks for all your replies. Let me clarify one thing.

My biggest concern is butt pain management and two-up riding. The GS had a super comfortable seat and riding position, the 990 Adventure looks like a dirt-bike seat which it not made for long days.

Am I being a wimp here. Maybe me ass is bonier than most???

How does your derriere do after 4 hours on the road?
I did a 24 hour endurance rally on the stock seat, my ars was fine, but the angle of my knees caused a problem... I'm 6 2 34 inseam.
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #23
Mars Sentinel
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. Just when I thought I had finally made a decision the Ducati, you all turn it around for me.

Thanks!

For 7K you can get TWO bikes. I got a used Kawasaki COncours and a used KTM 625SMC for 7K. I commute on the Connie (best.fairing.ever.) and hoolie around on the sumo. I can take Ms O'Lady around on weekends on the Kwak and get my slip-n-slide on with the KTM. Perfecto. I see no reason a'tall to pay that much for a bike when there are so many 3 and 4 thousand dollar bikes out there.
Mars Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #24
munsey8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.saveaho View Post
I did a 24 hour endurance rally on the stock seat, my ars was fine, but the angle of my knees caused a problem... I'm 6 2 34 inseam.
Agreed, only had my 990 adv for almost 3 weeks and spent max 2 hours in the saddle but I can't see it being a 'pain in the ass' for any longer amount of time.
munsey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #25
pdxmotorhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Sentinel View Post
For 7K you can get TWO bikes. I got a used Kawasaki COncours and a used KTM 625SMC for 7K. I commute on the Connie (best.fairing.ever.) and hoolie around on the sumo. I can take Ms O'Lady around on weekends on the Kwak and get my slip-n-slide on with the KTM. Perfecto. I see no reason a'tall to pay that much for a bike when there are so many 3 and 4 thousand dollar bikes out there.
2x insurance. ( Yes if your riding on public ground you need insurance. )
2x maintenance. (The Concourse is very reliable yet Ive seen friends bleed on them.. The 625 is not far behind the 950 on maintenance )
Space can be an issue as well.

And neither bike you listed is as much fun as my 950....

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #26
rcautox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I've tested both the MS1200S & 990Adv and settled on the 990Adv. I live and tested in central Houston and felt both were as good as any bike in traffic (and much better than my '74 XS650!). Weather was the typical brisk Texas winter, 65F To complicate matters I threw my girlfriend on the back. She's a novice pillion and bumped my helmet a few times with each bike, didn't notice her more or less so on either bike. I take that very short sample size test to mean both bikes were pretty smooth and I need to spend more time teaching her to ride!

My car has a very similar feature to the Multi's adjustable ECU map & suspension-love it on both. If I was looking for an upright sports bike that could probably pull my R6 track bike I would've went for the Multi. Texas has no twisties and I have already sports car so I'm looking for a 990...for all of our mountains The KTM feels more like a jack of all trades for quite a few bucks less.
rcautox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #27
jsg161968
daydreamer

Oddometer: 13
send it!

I do all that you're describing with my 990..it's sick, period. It's a fine enough commuter over Hwy 17 scz mts to SJ, but it's second to none in the dirt. I was just having too much fun launching water bars on some forest service roads the other day...that was with the bike loaded for camping; it didn't even flinch...in fant, it felt oh so similar to my 450. I got a seat concepts seat to address my bony ass and it is far better...certainly not renazco level by any means, but adequate. I camp off it frequently and it works efficiently for that. Fire that shit up and go orange man!
jsg161968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #28
coloktmguy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
KTM F1 error fix

Just wanted to shout out to all who commented on my 2013 KTM 990 F1 error message. It was the orange key deactivation of the black keys. You guys rock. It was an easy fix. I called the local KTM shop and they didn't know of this fix so I'll call them to give it out. Anyway, thanks again!
coloktmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #29
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 509
You re welcome...

Quote:

Thanks!
You gave us the opportunity to reclaim the enthusiasm we all share for our 9xx bikes...it is the Swiss army knife of bikes it does it all and does it good...one last advice stay tuned with our OC forum when you get yours, there is plenty of excellent info about it..
Ther are some minor glinches for the Adventure (most have been shorted for 2009+ bikes) and it'll be nice if you had them covered...
For seating I use an Airhawk pad with the low gel seat (that came standard with my white 2009 adventure) and I've done several 1000+ miles days with no problem...

Deviant666 screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 04:02 AM
Deviant666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #30
DirtyRoadie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Why do you guys torture me? I just added an FJR1300 to my fleet and my wife would like me to sell my 990, as she says 4 bikes is too many. Heck one of them dosnt even run right now so she shouldn't count that one. But after reading this thread I do not want to sell the 990, especially after the above photos made me realize how sexy these things are. Mine is an '08 and with stock seat, 500 mile days are not a problem at all. I find the riding position and seat just about perfect for all day rides. If I didn't ride two up so often I probably wouldn't have gotten the FJR, which is so smooth,fast and effortless when loaded down.
DirtyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote