Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #166
eustachius OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinmike View Post
thank you for this great RR with stunning pics,

do you have car accompaniment only through mongolia or all the way.
Hi Twinmike,

our friend in the car was with us from Barnaul (Altai) through Mongolia and back to Lake Baikal, more or less. He had been to Mongolia twice before on a BMW F800 GS and knows Siberia and Russia well. He has visited this part of the globe many times before and speaks good Russian. His first trips were on a Transalp 600, like mine. When he changed to the BMW F800GS the Honda had something like 150,000kms on the clock.
The Mitsubishi Pinnin is a nice little car, but some repairs were necessary along this trip.
Of course it's fine to have a car in the group, but the travelling speed on tracks is slower.
Maybe he wants to write about how the Transalp compares to the F800gs and what it is like for a biker to be in a car.
eustachius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:08 AM   #167
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 448
Hi eustachous,

I must say the more I see of Mongolia the more I like it, the culture, people and of course the landscape.
How did you find the people, is there any animosity at all towards travellers? Have you any advice for travelling there?
How long did it take you to ride there?

It would be good to hear your friends views on the old low tech Transalp -V- the modern F800. I had a short ride on one once, very impressive and quick too, but as I'm only 5' 8" it was a tad tall for me, not a problem for your friend who looks to be quite tall.

Cheers
Potski

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen
potski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:33 AM   #168
eustachius OP
Adventurer

On this day we would get as far as Erdenet, which is the second biggest town in Mongolia. There are huge copper mines and it looks like a modern and prosperous town.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Very 'European' landscapes in this part of the country.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

We had been warned as to Mongolian food, but it wasn't that bad, in fact. Quite often we were surprised how tasty it was, although vegetables are scarce. I am talking about those small restaurants in the villages.
Anyway,we were approaching the capital and looking forward to a special treat of the palate in UB. I had begun to fantasize about huge ice creams with hot fudge and whipped cream and stuff like that.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Something was wrong with the car. We spent the morning in the garage.

As you can see, the mechanic tried really hard to fix the problem, but his method didn't work.

It was such a hot day and we were tired. At moments I found it difficult to stay awake on those long straight stretches of asphalt. It was such a difference to the tracks we had covered before.

[IMG][/IMG]

We hit the main road from Russia to UB. We turned south.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #169
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Fanstastic!!

Thank you for re-living your story with us!

Looking forward to your next edition.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #170
iceandfire
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Epic. Subscribed (better late than never)
iceandfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #171
eustachius OP
Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

We were on the main road from Darkhan south to UB. It was getting late because of the attempted car repair in Erdenet.

[IMG][/IMG]

Traffic in UB is chaotic and we were glad when we had safely made it to the Oasis Guesthouse. It was dark by then.
This place is a real oasis. They rent rooms or gers. The bikes are parked in the yard. There is a nice restaurant and a terrace where they serve European food, delicious pastries, apfelstrudel, goulash, cold beer etc. and the people there are very helpful in many ways.

Pictures of some of the bikes that were there during our stay.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Maybe you remember this Guzzi side-car from Khovd.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is something special. They had come all the way from Switzerland through Russia, with some mechanical problems. They were the two of them.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Crating of a Beemer.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Joao's R100GS/PD. Something was wrong with the drive shaft, seals leaked?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Allan driving out the rear wheel bearing. This was the only repair on my Transalp. Luckily I had extra wheel bearings with me. Even in UB, which is a city of more than one million, it was not easy to find sealed bearings of this dimension. Other bikers were quite desperate to find some.

Many thanks again to Allan, a great mechanic and always willing to help.

Dan working on his DRZ 400.

Another Transalp.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

After this work was done, we went to a restaurant with a view over the city.

[IMG][/IMG]

Very modern and busy. Traffic can be bad.

[IMG][/IMG]

Beautiful view.

[IMG][/IMG]

It's a rapidly growing town with big environmental issues. The smog in winter must be terrible, much coal for heating in the yurts and traffic.

eustachius screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 01:36 PM
Old 04-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #172
eustachius OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by potski View Post
Hi eustachous,

I must say the more I see of Mongolia the more I like it, the culture, people and of course the landscape.
How did you find the people, is there any animosity at all towards travellers? Have you any advice for travelling there?
How long did it take you to ride there?

It would be good to hear your friends views on the old low tech Transalp -V- the modern F800. I had a short ride on one once, very impressive and quick too, but as I'm only 5' 8" it was a tad tall for me, not a problem for your friend who looks to be quite tall.

Cheers
Potski
hi Potski,
animosity towards travellers? we didn't experience any, not that I could think of. If you are British, you might be disappointed because Mongolians do not cultivate the fine art of queuing.

My advice for travelling there? Bring GPS, good camping equipment; normal precautions when camping. Don't leave your helmet or gloves on the bike overnight. Some bikers do and wonder why they have to continue without.

From UB to Austria it's 9,000 kms on asphalt. How long do you need for this distance? The Polish guys we met did Poland - Mongolia in 8 days. I couldn't.

I went a different route and took my time. Left on the 12th of April and arrived in UB on the 16th of July. No hurry.

I agree with you. The F800GS is another generation. Quick, strong, better suspension and good fuel economy. But is it as reliable?

Maybe my friend will find the time to give us a nice comparison of the two bikes.

Cheers
Eustachius.

eustachius screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 09:19 AM
Old 04-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #173
blackcaps
Do it alone

Oddometer: 98
Waypoints along the route and exact position Oasis
Travelled to Ural mountains in 2007. Travelled to Siberia in 2008. Travelled to Baikal and Mongolia in 2009. Travelled to Altai and Mongolia in 2010. Travelled to Russia and Mongolia in 2011. Travelled to Russia and Siberia in 2012. Travelled to Siberia, 'Dalnie Vostok' and Sachalin in 2013.
blackcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #174
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,927
FYI, not to take anyone away from this fabulous RR, but if you want to read about how the F800GS did across Mongolia read here for another great RR. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750189
Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #175
eustachius OP
Adventurer

We left UB after three nights at the Oasis and were heading up north towards Russia. We had planned to camp one last night in Mongolia and cross the border the next morning and have plenty of time to get to Ulan Ude. And this is what we did.
Getting out of UB took some time, we had to cross the whole city from east to west. We decided to meet at the city 'gate' in case we couldn't stay together in the traffic.

[IMG][/IMG]

We stopped for lunch on the way.

[IMG][/IMG]

Always wear a helmet.

We stopped again for icecream in Suchbaatar. It looks as if we ate our way across the continent.

[IMG][/IMG]

This was our last camp in Mongolia.

It was raining when we crossed the border to Russia. Normal procedure; on the Mongolian side somewhat chaotic, the Russians helpful with the forms.

First stop right after the border. We were hungry again. I can't believe it now that I see all the pictures where we stopped for food or drinks.

Some kilometres after the border we met three Swiss cyclists. They had come all the way from their country and were heading for UB and on to China. Strong men!

[IMG][/IMG]

For those of you who speak and read Russian. It's the menu of the next restaurant!!!

It had become sunny and warm again.

We turn off at Ivolginsk to visit one of the few/the last Buddhist monasteries in Russia.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is our hotel in Ulan Ude. They do the registration, which is nice.

eustachius screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 09:24 AM
Old 04-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #176
eustachius OP
Adventurer

We went for a walk in town and didn't miss this head of Lenin, it's supposed to be the biggest worldwide.

Ulan Ude on a warm summer evening. There was music on the square and people seemed to enjoy the nice temperatures, very laid-back.

Pedestrian area and shopping street close to the hotel.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #177
eustachius OP
Adventurer

On the way to Lake Baikal we stopped at this monastery which was being renovated.

[IMG][/IMG]

A lot has already been done, but they haven't finished yet.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #178
JMOL
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for being your pillion. What a nice RR

There is always a risk in building a bridge, but once it's done, you don't know how you managed without it. The same applies with friendship.
JMOL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #179
eustachius OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMOL View Post
Thanks for being your pillion. What a nice RR
You are welcome. Thank you too.

That's a beautiful signature of yours.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #180
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 681
Great RR

I especially like the fact you can learn a heck of a lot about fixing motorcycles on these Ride Reports.