ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #181
Rango
Phaneropter
 
Rango's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Kingdom of Belgium
Oddometer: 1,120
If it can't be fixed with a hammer it must be electrical

(From "The Code of Motorcycle")
__________________
Moriunt omnes pauci vivunt
Rango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #182
Blader54
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 980
To touch again on the idea of traveling alone versus the feeling of loneliness. When you were riding solo, did you miss not having another person with you with which to share the experience? And when you were traveling with a group did it sometimes seem that it was hard to be by yourself, that you became a little irritated at alway being with others?

Love the report. Excellent mis of photos and words.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #183
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: where elephants roam
Oddometer: 540
Holy smokes! I'm speechless, and that doesnt happen very often. Thanks for an amazing documentary. I'm thinking a similar trip is now on my "list".
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #184
muschelschubser
Gnarly Adventurer
 
muschelschubser's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Kuddewörde
Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by eustachius View Post
If some of my pictures can be an inspiration to some of you, I will be very glad. While writing this report I relive this trip to some extent.
Inspiration, And a great Source of Fernweh. Been there in 2008.

Thanks!
__________________
Central East Tour
http://gespann.wordpress.com
The fastest way to yourself leads arround the world!
Richard Hoffmann (*1938 ),
muschelschubser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #185
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Moscow, Russia
Oddometer: 1,139
eustachius, really great pictures, thank you!

I have another camera question--where did you keep it while riding, in a tank bag or something? How did the camera survive the dust?
__________________
Adventure is just another word for poor planning.
http://www.motoreiter.com
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:01 AM   #186
trailtosakhalin
Adventurer
 
trailtosakhalin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 63
Great pics
__________________
Our adventure on Trailtosakhalin

Proud to be sponsor of Polar Ice Ride on Yamaha R1 by Sjaak Luccassen

Member of CMA-NL
trailtosakhalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #187
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Paratrout's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Cackilackistan, Concord Oblast
Oddometer: 170
Thanks!

Danke mein Freund für dieses tolle Geschichte. Wenn Sie jemals in den USA sind mit dem Fahrrad Sie haben einen Platz zu bleiben und etwas kaltes Bier warten auf Sie in Concord, NC.
__________________
If you go to the gym everyday and workout you don't feel as sore. Same with riding bikes. The more you ride the easier it gets. -JDowns


2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #188
eustachius OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
To touch again on the idea of traveling alone versus the feeling of loneliness. When you were riding solo, did you miss not having another person with you with which to share the experience? And when you were traveling with a group did it sometimes seem that it was hard to be by yourself, that you became a little irritated at alway being with others?

Love the report. Excellent mis of photos and words.
Hi Blader54,

you say it. Travelling alone is great, for me at least, but sometimes you wish you could be with someone you know well. Especially in the evenings. And when you are travelling in a group, you enjoy the company, but at moments you'd rather be alone.

We want it all, as is the case with many other things, but we have to make decisions. Either one or the other.

After two and a half months solo, I was happy to meet my friends. And in Mongolia it's not such a bad idea not to be alone. It feels good to know that there is someone who can help in case of a breakdown or worse.

And if going together doesn't work, everyone is free to go separate ways. Don't make your trip a miserable experience because you think you have to stick together. For this reason, important, everyone has to carry all the things they need to continue the trip on their own.
eustachius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #189
eustachius OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter View Post
eustachius, really great pictures, thank you!

I have another camera question--where did you keep it while riding, in a tank bag or something? How did the camera survive the dust?
Hi motoreiter,

most of the time I was carrying the camera in one of the many pockets, always in a small plastic bag. The camera survived the dust, it still works fine. The display is badly scratched, but I don't mind so much. I bought the camera cheaply second hand before the trip because I didn't want to leave with a brand-new expensive camera.

I wanted to go low-profile in everything I had with me - bike, saddle-bags, tent, sleeping-bag, etc. and use things I already had at home. The only stuff I got new for the trip was a helmet, jacket and pants, because I wanted to feel (fairly) comfortable during the trip.
eustachius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #190
wildbilly
I am released...
 
wildbilly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Peloponese-Greece
Oddometer: 41
Many, many thanks for this RR...This is a dream trip for many of us!!! Keep writing, reading this RR is an adiction!!!
wildbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #191
eustachius OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 95
It feels great that so many of you have been following so far. Sorry, there is no installment today for the simple reason that I was busy working in the garden. It's finally spring in Austria.

Thanks to your many positive replies, I feel highly motivated to continue my RR home across Russia in the next few days. So please, hang on.

Cheers

Eustachius

Maybe just one picture of my second bike, which I use very, very rarely.

[IMG][/IMG]

It's one of the first Ténérés, kickstart only.
eustachius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #192
eustachius OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrout View Post
Danke mein Freund für dieses tolle Geschichte. Wenn Sie jemals in den USA sind mit dem Fahrrad Sie haben einen Platz zu bleiben und etwas kaltes Bier warten auf Sie in Concord, NC.
Hi Paratrout,

das ist sehr nett und vielleicht trinken wir einmal ein kaltes Bier miteinander.

Take care

Eustachius
eustachius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #193
Rango
Phaneropter
 
Rango's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Kingdom of Belgium
Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by eustachius View Post

Maybe just one picture of my second bike, which I use very, very rarely.

[IMG][/IMG]

It's one of the first Ténérés, kickstart only.
Looks like it could go places too.
It has more adv-aura than the new ones, my feeling.
__________________
Moriunt omnes pauci vivunt
Rango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #194
Twinmike
Grandpa
 
Twinmike's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by eustachius View Post
And if going together doesn't work, everyone is free to go separate ways. Don't make your trip a miserable experience because you think you have to stick together. For this reason, important, everyone has to carry all the things they need to continue the trip on their own.
+1 very wise words
Twinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #195
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid
 
WarLlama's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: twixt & tween
Oddometer: 16,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by eustachius View Post
It feels great that so many of you have been following so far. Sorry, there is no installment today for the simple reason that I was busy working in the garden. It's finally spring in Austria.
Take your time, it is worth the wait.
WarLlama is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014