User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #196
blackcaps
Do it alone

Oddometer: 98
Waypoints from Oasis to -nearly- Lake Baikal
Travelled to Ural mountains in 2007. Travelled to Siberia in 2008. Travelled to Baikal and Mongolia in 2009. Travelled to Altai and Mongolia in 2010. Travelled to Russia and Mongolia in 2011. Travelled to Russia and Siberia in 2012. Travelled to Siberia, 'Dalnie Vostok' and Sachalin in 2013.
blackcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:27 AM   #197
blackcaps
Do it alone

Ulan Ude - Utylik (on Lake Baikal)
Travelled to Ural mountains in 2007. Travelled to Siberia in 2008. Travelled to Baikal and Mongolia in 2009. Travelled to Altai and Mongolia in 2010. Travelled to Russia and Mongolia in 2011. Travelled to Russia and Siberia in 2012. Travelled to Siberia, 'Dalnie Vostok' and Sachalin in 2013.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #198
eustachius OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcaps View Post
Hi Blackcaps,

thanks again for the waypoints. Any further comments?
eustachius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #199
eustachius OP
Adventurer

A friendly handshake and good-bye, as so often.

[IMG][/IMG]

The road that leads us to Lake Baikal.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now what did you say? If you can't repair it with a hammer, it must be electrical. Russian working happily on his Lada or whatever it was.

[IMG][/IMG]

There was only one in our group who was brave enough to go for a swim. It wasn't me! Hans doesn't look very motivated either.

I'm trying to find a good way how to carry my extra front tire. Many overlanders put on new tires at the Oasis Guesthouse in UB and leave their old ones there. I got this Michelin T63 for a beer or two. I took it with me just in case. My front tire was wearing more quickly than the rear and I wanted to be on the safe side.
This was our last night together on a campsite at the lake. Many Russians on vacation. We would split the following day at Irkutsk. Hans wanted to take his time and visit friends on his way back, but first he had to have his car fixed at the Mitsubishi dealer in Irkutsk. The car behaved strangely and bottomed out on minor bumps. One of the rear coil springs had broken in two.

[IMG][/IMG]

Along the lake you can buy fish everywhere, well almost.

[IMG][/IMG]

And they love gardening.

[IMG][/IMG]

On the southern shore of the lake, smoked fish.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Not as big as one might think. We tried them cold and warm and liked them better cold.

Not a very romantic place to say good-bye to Hans. He would go straight on to Irkutsk, Paul and me would take the road to Novosibirsk.

Paul had to recover from the shock of separation, in fact, we were pretty tired the three of us.

eustachius screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 12:51 PM
Old 04-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #200
eustachius OP
Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG]

We carried on towards Novosibirsk, it's the M53 all the way. 1,800kms from Irkutsk. Distances are huge, but as long as there is not too much traffic, it's like a meditation. There is nothing spectacular about these landscapes, you like them or you don't. I do. And we were lucky with the weather, at least most of the time.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It was end of July, beginning of August and people were busy making their firewood.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

eustachius screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 12:49 PM
Old 04-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #201
Caymen8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Wow!

I just got caught up with this report. What a great job! Thanks for sharing your experiences on what would be the trip of a lifetime for most of us. It looks like you had remarkably good weather for such a long trip.

I'm looking forward to the remainder of the report. Thanks!

'09 KLR 650
'08 Road Glide
Caymen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #202
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,417
Awsome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eustachius View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Same place, different angle.

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #203
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,417
I bet is slower, but the pictures taken from afar gives a nice twist, a third view!

Quote:
Hi Twinmike,

our friend in the car was with us from Barnaul (Altai) through Mongolia and back to Lake Baikal, more or less. He had been to Mongolia twice before on a BMW F800 GS and knows Siberia and Russia well. He has visited this part of the globe many times before and speaks good Russian. His first trips were on a Transalp 600, like mine. When he changed to the BMW F800GS the Honda had something like 150,000kms on the clock.
The Mitsubishi Pinnin is a nice little car, but some repairs were necessary along this trip.
Of course it's fine to have a car in the group, but the travelling speed on tracks is slower.
Maybe he wants to write about how the Transalp compares to the F800gs and what it is like for a biker to be in a car.

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #204
blackcaps
Do it alone

Utulik-Irkutsk-Angarsk
Old 04-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #205
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
[QUOTE=eustachius;

We met three Polish bikers in this village. They were on AT, KTM950 and Varadero and were heavily loaded. He was suffering. We met them again later on in UB. They were covering longer distances per day than we did.

Quote]

Ouch. I truly cannot imagine the effort required and misery endured by trying to ride huge bikes so overloaded. These guys will have learned a very tough lesson.

Less is more.

You clearly got it about right Eustachius
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #206
blackcaps
Do it alone

Quote:
And they love gardening.
Quote:
Any further comments?
I wonder if she is a patato girl or in the strawberries?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #207
eustachius OP
Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG]

Chances are that when you meet Russian bikers they very often have the best material available, like those two bikers who were on a weekend outing to Lake Baikal.

[IMG][/IMG]

It's mostly asphalt all the way with some long and very dusty stretches of road works. Here again, no fun in the rain.

[IMG][/IMG]

Never any problem with gas and restaurants along the main road.

[IMG][/IMG]

Family reunion in one of the restaurants, it was the Bon Voyage. The men wanted us to stay and celebrate with them. We had a very small drink and continued. We felt we had to keep moving.

[IMG][/IMG]

Got off the main road and found a beautiful spot for our tents. The biggest pain with camping in Siberia are the moskitoes. Sometimes really, really bad.

[IMG][/IMG]

That's the moment for a little schnaps and some philosophizing.

Typical vegetation along the way

and snackbar. They serve simple, but tasty food. Very often different kinds of soup which we got addicted to. Normally you order and pay food and drinks at the counter and sit down at a table. When your food is ready, they either call you or you are served.

Paul is enjoying his soup and some bread.

[IMG][/IMG]

Had a chat with those farmers during one of our breaks in the afternoon. Their machinery looks outdated

[IMG][/IMG]

but it works.

Some is even older. The contrast between modern urban Russia and the rural way of life is quite amazing.

[IMG][/IMG]

There is one main road going from west to east, needless to say that you happen to meet overlanders on this route. They were going the opposite direction to South Corea, after a visit to Central and Southern Europe.

[IMG][/IMG]

The farmers had already cut the grass so it was easy to find places for camp. Just make sure that you can't be seen from the main road. We always try to leave the road and go into the forests unnoticed by anyone.

[IMG][/IMG]

Better than many hotel rooms.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Very meditative.

[IMG][/IMG]

One day we met this Japanese biker on a DRZ400SM on his way to Europe. We stayed together for a day and a night. He had a completely different approach to packing.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Steady speed along the M51.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

One way of looking stupid. The moskitoes were nasty that evening. We just got into our tents and called it a day.

[IMG][/IMG]

People we meet along the road.

[IMG][/IMG]

Nil was coming from Spain and heading for Mongolia on a very small Yamaha - 125cc I think.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hans had joined us and we spent the night in a roadside gastiniza. After a day on the motorcycle we were enjoying a typical Russian banja.

Packing up on the following morning and going different directions. The Transalp looks like a big bike compared to the Yamaha.
Nil made it to UB and back home.

[IMG][/IMG]

Our daily routine was packing, riding, resting, taking some pictures, having tea, a cigarette, some food, taking fuel ...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

and finding a place where to sleep.

eustachius screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 12:56 PM
Old 04-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #208
eustachius OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcaps View Post
I wonder if she is a patato girl or in the strawberries?
I would guess potatoes, but I am not much of a gardener myself.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #209
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 455
Hi eustachius,

Yet more fantastic images of your trip; maybe an effort at times for you to stop and take, but now great to look back on for you and us all here. What an insight into both your travels, the other riders you met, bikes (and packing styles), but above all a view of the lives and culture of the people and the lands you travelled through.

Cheers
Potski

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen
potski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #210
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,356
Great pictures of a beautiful land and it's people. Thanks for sharing. Love checking in every few days to see what you have brought to us.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote