Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #211
blackcaps
Do it alone

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by eustachius View Post
Chances are that when you meet Russian bikers they very often have the best material available, like those two bikers who were on a weekend outing to Lake Baikal.
Yes thats what I saw too. Although there are quite a lot of Russians who still drive the old Ural boxer or two stroke Izh the majority has a modern bike second hand imported from Japan or the States. And those are cruisers (the bigger the better) or fast -super-bikes like Blackbird or Hayabusa.

Where we think that we need an offroad to handle the bad Russian roads they do all with their cruisers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eustachius View Post
[/IMG]

There is one main road going from west to east, needless to say that you happen to meet overlanders on this route. They were going the opposite direction to South Corea, after a visit to Central and Southern Europe.
A little more than a month before I met them in Ukrain. They just came that day from Russia. I would go there the next day. There are not so many roads indeed.

Travelled to Ural mountains in 2007. Travelled to Siberia in 2008. Travelled to Baikal and Mongolia in 2009. Travelled to Altai and Mongolia in 2010. Travelled to Russia and Mongolia in 2011. Travelled to Russia and Siberia in 2012. Travelled to Siberia, 'Dalnie Vostok' and Sachalin in 2013.
blackcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #212
eustachius OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
[IMG][/IMG]

I mentioned before that the weather was good most of my trip. I had some rain and cold in Eastern Turkey, some showers in Kyrgyzstan, very little rain in the Altai and in Mongolia, and a few rainy days on the way across Siberia. Not bad for the duration of the trip. I've heard of people who got soaked in Siberia.

[IMG][/IMG]

We met Inaki from Spain on his Fazer 600. He was going to Wladiwostok and on. He was going fast and long distances.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

We were approaching the Ural mountains.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Café Oktan and Café Sputnik.

[IMG][/IMG]

Traffic was getting dense and our breaks more frequent.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
eustachius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #213
eustachius OP
Adventurer

I forgot to mention the police in Russia. We were waved down a couple of times and were 'fined' for going too fast, for overtaking, for I don't know what. We got away cheaply because we didn't 'need a receipt', everybody understands. Sometimes we bargained them down to a souvenir from Austria, something we were carrying in our tankbags and didn't need.

I 'forgot' to buy insurance for Russia after Mongolia. It was raining when we crossed the border and I didn't want to bother. At the first police check they wanted to see my insurance. Bad luck! I had to pay, but it wasn't much really, something like 20$, without receipt. They told me to buy insurance at the next filling station. Of course, there was nobody there who could do this, but someone called someone and a couple ofminutes later we followed a young man in his car into the centre of town, where I bought insurance for two weeks. We wanted to show our gratitude to the young Russian, but he would not accept anything.

Police checks became more frequent towards the west. In Ukraine we were almost paranoid, at times there were so many cops along the roads that we were too tense to enjoy riding.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #214
HenningW
HenningW

Oddometer: 3
The world is small

Hi Eustachius,

the wordl is small, people doing extraordinay things know or meet each other.

The did in June 2011 a trip from Ulan Bator to Germany and also met the Swiss guys on there BSA, but about between Saratow and Samara and the BSA's in better shape, meaning still with there self built one wheeel trailers. These two were cool guys, cooler than ordinary swiss people.

We had only 4 weeks free time from our families and therefore we had to hurry on our trip. As you might see (sorry, I have to learn how to oupload pictures, but I'll do that later!) we did it with your "spare bike", three Yamaha XT600 Ténérés from 1983 to 1985 (models 34L and 55W). But you missed something very fascinating: the island Olchon in the baikal lake, really stunning this pieces of (is)-land.

Maybe we stayed also in the same yellow motel, where you met Inaki from Spain. It hat great room with good showers and was really cheap, food was also great. Unfortunatlly I have only pictures from inside, not the parking lot.

In 4 week we depart for the Pamir highway again with these three Teneres. Maybe we will write a ride report, when we are back home.

Greetings Henning
HenningW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #215
eustachius OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenningW View Post
Hi Eustachius,

the wordl is small, people doing extraordinay things know or meet each other.

The did in June 2011 a trip from Ulan Bator to Germany and also met the Swiss guys on there BSA, but about between Saratow and Samara and the BSA's in better shape, meaning still with there self built one wheeel trailers. These two were cool guys, cooler than ordinary swiss people.

We had only 4 weeks free time from our families and therefore we had to hurry on our trip. As you might see (sorry, I have to learn how to oupload pictures, but I'll do that later!) we did it with your "spare bike", three Yamaha XT600 Ténérés from 1983 to 1985 (models 34L and 55W). But you missed something very fascinating: the island Olchon in the baikal lake, really stunning this pieces of (is)-land.

Maybe we stayed also in the same yellow motel, where you met Inaki from Spain. It hat great room with good showers and was really cheap, food was also great. Unfortunatlly I have only pictures from inside, not the parking lot.

In 4 week we depart for the Pamir highway again with these three Teneres. Maybe we will write a ride report, when we are back home.

Greetings Henning
Hi Henning,

great to hear from you. Yes, indeed, the world is a small place.
The two Swiss guys on the BSA had abandoned their trailers somewhere in Russia.

I have heard about Olchon island and I would love to go back some day. My trip across Siberia and Russia was really a rather fast way back home. I didn't take the time to go off the main road, which I would like to do on a further trip.

I am afraid my XT Ténéré is not in such a good shape to do the Pamirs.
Please post some pictures of your bikes on the trip from UB across Russia and write a report of your Pamir trip.

I had to learn it myself, but once you've got it, it's easy. I am lucky, one of my daughters is a fairly patient teacher for those things.

Take care.

Eustachius

eustachius screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 08:09 AM
Old 04-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #216
eustachius OP
Adventurer

This installment is going to take us back home to Austria.

We found another beautiful and peaceful spot for our tents near Wolgograd, which used to be Stalingrad. It's difficult to believe that not so long ago hundreds of thousands of people lost their lives in this area.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

There were beautiful wild flowers everywhere and the fragrance of summer, and moskitoes.

[IMG][/IMG]

It was a perfect spot for a camp. We were well hidden in high grass, with a forest on one side to keep us out of the morning sun and a wide view over the rolling land.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The next day we met this young Russian couple on their Honda XR 250. They were honeymooning in Kazakhstan.

[IMG][/IMG]

Incredible Japanese bikes.

[IMG][/IMG]

Further west there is much agriculture, endless sunflower fields. We spent our last night in Russia in Kursk, a prosperous town it seemed to us. We found a nice hotel, very central and walked downtown to have a hamburger.

From Kursk we were going to Kiew and Lemberg and from there to Hungary. Border crossings were easy. Nobody checked my front tire.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Houses in Ukraine looked very similar to what we had seen all the way across Siberia. It's a modest yet aesthetic style of architecture.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Out of necessity, certain things have the right to a longer useful existence.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Impressive churches and monuments.

[IMG][/IMG]

And almost back in Austria

[IMG][/IMG]

and my first pizza after a long time, shortly before I arrived home. It was delicious. And the draught beer was too.

That was it.

Thanks to all of you for following me all the way home.

Thanks for all the contributions and very positive remarks.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #217
Jimdamit
не стреляйте

Oddometer: 42
Thank you

Thank you for taking us along! While I am sorry to see it end, looks like you had a great time. Great story and pictures.

"Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." -- Unknown
Jimdamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #218
spitiko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hello

All are perfect. Thank you.
spitiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #219
BCBackRoads
Travels with Gumby

Oddometer: 153
Thank You!

Thanks for taking the time to post. I've enjoyed following your journey.

Wayne
Old 04-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #220
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 455
Thanks for taking us along, it's been great. Looking forward to either more on this trip or future eustachius adventures.

Cheers
Potski

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen
potski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #221
Embra
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Talking

Thoroughly enjoyed the read
Many thanks
Paul
Embra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #222
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,108
Such a nice ride and report
Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #223
malmon
unknown noobody

Oddometer: 207
Thumb

Thank you for sharing your ride with very good pictures, please keep shooting for those of us who are not there or can not be there.
Thank you,
Oscar
http://malmonfz1.imgur.com/
malmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #224
alphacompgeek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Great RR eustachius! I really enjoyed it.
alphacompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #225
tansinwalker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Thumb

Great travel and report!

Thank you so much for feeding our imagination

Good job!
tansinwalker is offline   Reply With Quote