Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Is there a Montana How To Guide?

I know there is a large Montana thread on here but I am just trying to find out some basic how to guide for doing different things on my Montana. Real basic stuff that I can't seem to figure out like:

1. Say I am out riding around and come across a what appears to be a sweet trail that wasn't on my original route and want to record where it goes then at the end of the trail I want to navigate back to the start to get back on my original route. How do I do that?

2. After I finish the sweet trail section say I want to keep the route or maybe even share it with a friend that may be doing the same ride sometime. How do I do that?

I know you can do stuff with Mapsource and Basecamp at home on the computer and then input it on the Montana but what about when you are in the boonies away from your computer and want to make your own route like I said above. How is this done?

I know these are real basic things but I have gone through dozens of pages on the Big Montana thread and found nothing. It's probably buried in there but I just haven't found it yet. I need a Montana for dummies page that shows the basics of how this thing works. There is gonna be a huge learning curve I am sure with this GPS..

Is there actually a GPS website for Noobs that can give you a basic understanding of how everything works?
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
You touched on your own answer. Just turn ride it and then ride back, you should see the (behind you) track on your screen.

Your GPS (all of them) records an Active Log (Track) as you ride. Also called Track Log,

When you get home upload it to PC and edit away with MapSource or BaseCamp. Cut/Copy, save under new track name, Paste onto some other track, any thing you want.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the help. I also recieved a call from River Pilot whom I bought the GPS from. He walked me through how to do it. Talk about good customer service after a purchase. Thank you so much. It's good to know there are still good companies out there who stand behind their products and offer support after the sale..
Old 04-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post

Is there actually a GPS website for Noobs that can give you a basic understanding of how everything works?
Yes!

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Yes!

daryl
Thanks Daryl. Looks like I've got some reading to do.... lol...