User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
Erikh425 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Uly Quest

I have been reading here for a while and finally have a reason to post. I am looking to add another bike to the stable and have always been enamored by the Ulysses. So I am now at the point where I have narrowed it down to two of them and I am looking for advice. I have read the threads here and at Badweatherbikers, and rode Uly's when I could find them. I know there are a million threads like this, but bear with me please. Here are the two bikes:

1-2008 Uly X with 17,000 miles on it. Only accessories are Piaa driving lights and the stock handwarmers. The bike is 2.5 hrs from my house.

2- 2006 Uly X with 9,000 miles. The bike has two wind screens, side cases, top case, dual headlight conversion, lower seat, 2007 Airbox conversiton, and misc other farkles. This bike is 6hrs from my house.

The guy with bike #2 wants about $700 more than the guy with #1. I know that the 2008 has alot of factory upgrades that may make the bike more reliable and maybe smoother. Both of the bikes are one owner and the guys seem to be very knowledgeable about the Buell, and have maintenance history. A big part of me figures the 08 is the way to go. Seems like the upgrades Buell did between 06 and 08 were needed, and I could save some money and then buy the accessories that I want. The 08 has twice the miles on it, but really 17K isn't that much for a 6 year old bike. I have a bike I bought new last June with 8K on it now, and the 08 is also half the distance for me to drive.

My plan is to go look at the 08 first. If I fall in love I will buy it. I have extra soft saddlebags and a tailbag that will get me by for a while. If I don't love it I will make the 6 hour trek to look at the 06 that has all the accessories.

So I am hoping that you guys and gals can steer me in one direction or the other. Are the upgrades on the 08 worth having over the accessories? I figure there is a pretty good knowledge base here. I talked to my wife about it and she said, "Do whatever the Hell you want". I want a Uly, so I guess that is what she is telling me to do right :)

Thanks.

As a side note, I love working on bikes. I have torn apart and built old Hondas, a couple Ironheads, and when I bought a new bike last year I took the sawzall to it with less than 400 miles on the odometer. Tinkering with the Uly will be one of the perks. (Maybe I am crazy)
Erikh425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Mr Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hey, I am a new Uly owner, but an old biker, and wrench....mine is an 06 but only 1400 miles on it....i read all the posts as well and having built and rebuilt and modified a bunch of bikes, i wasn't concerned with doing upgrades myself. I have already done the regular maintenance, the 77 plug, the clutch cable sealing, gonna order the comfort kit and the right side heat shield next week. The breather mod I will do when it gets a bit warmer in the shed...if you like working on stuff, i can't see a problem with the 06 vs the 08. Rear wheel didn't get updated til '10 so no benefit there....I love a lot of storage, mainly because it can be 30 at 8 a.m. and 65 at noon around here and I always carry tools and parts so the bags are definitely a plus for me....
Gotta tell ya though, today was the first real ride on it and man is it a blast to ride, doesn't feel at all like a touring bike, more like a cross between a sport bike and an enduro.....I'm gonna have fun on this bike......good luck with you choice.
Stay tuned....more to come.....
Mr Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Mr Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Oh and yea, you're crazy....but we all are.......right?
Stay tuned....more to come.....
Mr Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
hdxbones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I found myself in the same spot last fall. As an aircraft mechanic by trade, and a 30 year HD rider, I enjoy turning wrenches on my bikes. But I found the upgrades on the 08-up bikes to be significant enough for me to focus my search on. Stronger engine internals, better oiling, updated fuel control, improved steering geometry, etc. I was lucky to find a low milage 09 with luggage for a very fair price that I purchased last November. I wouldn't let the lack of luggage turn me from the right bike though, you can find it listed for sale here, or on the other forum all the time. There are plenty of aftermarket options also. That said, there's nothing wrong with a clean 06 or 07 for the right price, I've read plenty of posts from guys that have 50 to 100k miles on them.

Good luck with your search, I can tell you that I haven't had this much fun riding motorcycles in a long time..........

Motorcycle rich, cash strapped.....
hdxbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
goodburbon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
What's your location?
goodburbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Erikh425 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodburbon View Post
What's your location?
I am in northern MN.

Thanks for all of the info. A fully loaded 07 just popped up on CL about 2.5 hours from my house, so I am looking at that too now. There was a drought of Ulys for sale around here all winter, now there are two within 3 hours of my house. So I guess it is nice to have choices. The 07 has 17K miles, but is the same price as the naked 08. Anyway, I am going to have to go ride the closest ones and see what I fall in love with.

Keep the suggestions coming. I appreciate it.

Erik
Old 03-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
Erikh425 OP
Adventurer

Oh yeah, I haven't even seen an 09 or newer up here
for sale or otherwise.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
esalentine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Where in Northern MN? Warroad here.

I purchased a used '07 X three and a half years ago with 4K miles on it. It'll be turning 50K this spring. I too debated between this bike and an '08 or newer. For the sake of not repeating what you have already read, I'll just state that it's not an easy decision - they both sound like great bikes. My '07 has had it's faults, but I've never regretted buying it.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions. I've made nearly every update possible to my '07 and would be happy to help.

Eric.
esalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
Erikh425 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by esalentine View Post
Where in Northern MN? Warroad here.
I'm in Duluth, so not as far North as you are. Thanks for the offer. I am sure there a bunch of MN people here with Ulys. I will let you know if I become one of them :-)
Old 03-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #10
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 527
I have an 08 and I love it, its a pleasure to ride.
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 AM   #11
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,189
The improved oiling system, stouter crank, and tighter turning radius on the 08 more than makes up for the mileage difference in the 06. Some 07 models had catastrophic crank problems (DAMHIK). I'd recommend you get the 08.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #12
Erikh425 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
The improved oiling system, stouter crank, and tighter turning radius on the 08 more than makes up for the mileage difference in the 06. Some 07 models had catastrophic crank problems (DAMHIK). I'd recommend you get the 08.
Hugh,

I know you have been around for a while. In your opinion is there a point that you don't have to worry about the crank? I mean if the crank made it 20K then it is probably fine? Does it seem bikes built before a certain day were worse?

I guess I am just curious. It seems like all bikes have their issues, and potential problems. I suppose I could get a V-Strom if I wanted bulletproof. I want decently reliable with a soul :-)
Old 04-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #13
Erikh425 OP
Adventurer

You can disregard the last question. I found your other posts on BWB. I saw that you (Hugh) had a video of your crankshaft problem, but I can't find a link to it yet. Any chance you have the link? I guess I am just curious.

E
Old 04-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #14
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,507
You should do what you like and buy the bike you want.

But the improvements to the '08 and newer bikes are significant. Let's be real: The Uly is a modern high-mile capable chassis saddled with an ancient motor sourced from a bike that nobody ever really rode very far (with very few exceptions). I wanted the latest, most improved version of that motor I could find. The improved turning radius is just a bonus.

imho, fwiw, ymmv.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #15
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikh425 View Post
You can disregard the last question. I found your other posts on BWB. I saw that you (Hugh) had a video of your crankshaft problem, but I can't find a link to it yet. Any chance you have the link? I guess I am just curious.

E
Here you go:

(not sure this video code is correct; here's the link if it's not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=y6bNhxUHQXA

Noise started at about 29,000 miles. IIRC, mileage seems to be in the 20k to 30k range for the failures. My guess if it's past 35k miles and not knocking, it's probably a good one.