User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
Erikh425 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Wow. That thing sounds horrible.

Thanks for all of the information. It really does help.

E
Erikh425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikh425 View Post
Wow. That thing sounds horrible.

Thanks for all of the information. It really does help.

E
Yea, it was not pretty. It just about made me physically ill to hear it.

The good news is that ~2 years and ~10,000 miles later, my "new" 09 engine is still chuffing right along and pulling like a bear!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #18
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
1-2008 Uly X with 17,000 miles on it. Only accessories are Piaa driving lights and the stock handwarmers. The bike is 2.5 hrs from my house.

2- 2006 Uly X with 9,000 miles. The bike has two wind screens, side cases, top case, dual headlight conversion, lower seat, 2007 Airbox conversiton, and misc other farkles. This bike is 6hrs from my house.
- I don't think 8000 miles is going to make an appreciable difference; these things go and go and go. Mine has 48,000 miles now and runs like a top.

- As has been said, the improvements to the '08 are worth-while.

- $700 gets you a Happy-Trail rack and Caribou pannier setup.
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #19
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,136
Like Hugh, my '07 developed a rod knock at around 30K. I went a different route and installed the 08 crank, 5K more on it since and it seems ok.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #20
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
I'm in Duluth, so not as far North as you are. Thanks for the offer. I am sure there a bunch of MN people here with Ulys. I will let you know if I become one of them :-)
I'm one of the MN people with a Uly. Mine is a 2008 XT, and in fact, I bought it used at HD Sports Center in Duluth in 2009.

I would go for the 2008 or newer, just because of the improved motor. You can always add accessories, but it's a lot bigger deal to swap an engine if you end up with the bad rod issue.

I have a love-hate relationship with mine. I love the way it rides - I can't imagine a more fun motorcycle - it's just a joy to ride (I came off a Kawasaki Concours 1000). I have had some minor issues I've had to fix here and there (pay attention when people tell you that the torque values in the manual for the oil drain plug are WAY too tight), and I've had to hang some parts, and it often takes a while to get said parts these days.

I bought it with about 4500 miles on it, and I'm at 21,000 miles now. I expect to have it for at least 4-5 more years, barring some kind of disaster or wreck. The only thing that makes me regret buying it is that HD shut down Buell. I always feel like I'm stuck with an orphan, and that makes me nervous to take on long trips, whereas the Connie took me all over North America with almost no issues at all.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #21
Erikh425 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
I'm one of the MN people with a Uly. Mine is a 2008 XT, and in fact, I bought it used at HD Sports Center in Duluth in 2009.
Nice to know there are others around. I have bought several bikes from HD Duluth. Every time I do I tell myself I will never deal with them again. They are just very impersonal it seems.

There is just something about the Uly that makes me smile. I know it is Willie G's red headed step child so to speak, but for me it is just one of those bikes that alot of people don't even know exist. I could buy a similar DL1000 that I am sure would be easier to get parts for, and would be very reliable I am sure, but I just need something that moves me.

I am planning to look at the 08 today and the 07 tomorrow. Hopefully one will speak to me. I'll keep you posted.

As a side note, it's hard to think about bikes when I have 4 feet of snow in my yard and it is 12 degrees with snow in the forecast for the weekend.

E
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #22
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 307
I bought an 06 last year and love but if it was my choice, I would get the 08. The upgrades are worth it.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #23
Mnrider2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Another MN Uly guy here.
I bought my 06 new in oct. of 08,it only has 16k on it but I've had no problems.
Good luck with your search.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #24
Erikh425 OP
Adventurer

I looked at the 08 today. It is very clean and fairly stock. I will look at the 07 tomorrow. One thing I noticed is that the 08 has a born on date of July 07 I believe, and the 07 has a born on date of June 07. Is that generally the month they change over, or did I misread the neck tag?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #25
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
I looked at the 08 today. It is very clean and fairly stock. I will look at the 07 tomorrow. One thing I noticed is that the 08 has a born on date of July 07 I believe, and the 07 has a born on date of June 07. Is that generally the month they change over, or did I misread the neck tag?

Sounds right to me as I have a Jun '07-'07.

unknown
Old 04-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #26
Erikh425 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Sounds right to me as I have a Jun '07-'07.
How many miles, and are you happy with it?

With all of the changes they made, and probably needed it seems odd that two bikes built a month apart could be so different. I know that is not Buell specific and that is how all manufacturers do it, but I wonder if they have a big sign in the plant that indicates how many days until they start building more reliable bikes.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #27
Mnrider2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
There are plenty of 06 and 07 Uly's out there with high miles.
They did the bigger crank pin for 08 because they lasted longer for racing.
My Uly has been the most dependable and fun to ride bike I've had.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #28
That Reverend Again
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:

There is just something about the Uly that makes me smile. I know it is Willie G's red headed step child so to speak, but for me it is just one of those bikes that alot of people don't even know exist. I could buy a similar DL1000 that I am sure would be easier to get parts for, and would be very reliable I am sure, but I just need something that moves me.

I am planning to look at the 08 today and the 07 tomorrow. Hopefully one will speak to me. I'll keep you posted.

As a side note, it's hard to think about bikes when I have 4 feet of snow in my yard and it is 12 degrees with snow in the forecast for the weekend.

E
Exactly! That's what it's all about, and why i'm doing exactly the same thing over this side of the pond in the UK. Got a few I'm looking at as we speak..
Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #29
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
How many miles, and are you happy with it?

With all of the changes they made, and probably needed it seems odd that two bikes built a month apart could be so different. I know that is not Buell specific and that is how all manufacturers do it, but I wonder if they have a big sign in the plant that indicates how many days until they start building more reliable bikes.

I've got close to 36K on it now and yes, for the most part I am happy with it. You just don't see too many around here and I like that. The torque is a big grin factor, very addictive! Only time I wish I had the 08 front end is when maneuvering it in the garage. The 08 doesn't need a TPS adjust or timing set iirc. Believe me, since the 07 crank has a timing mark on it and the 08 does not. I had to Kentucky time it. '08 had better oiling, and of course the larger crank. I understand they seem to use more fuel, not sure if anyone ever found out why. I get mid to high 40's mpg, fuel light comes on at 150 miles, sort of a bummer as my DL650 didn't come on till around 200 miles with it's 5.6 gallon tank. Still, the Uly is a very fun bike and handles very well, suspension is light years ahead of the budget DL650.

As for the manufacturing, they had it down to a science. The day of the Buell Homecoming in 2008, we got to tour the plant and they told us to wait an hour so they could change models as they didn't want us seeing the new '09's. We got in and they were building XB's and 1125Rs, I think they were hiding the 1125CRs. So, they can pretty much change at a moments notice.

unknown
Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #30
Erikh425 OP
Adventurer

I looked at the 07 and an 06 today. The 07 had what I wanted, and was in better condition than the others for the money. It also helped that the owner is very knowledgeable, appears to have a passion for bikes, and is an ADVer here too. So on Friday I will pick her up and relocate her a couple hundred miles further North.

The only hang up for me on the 07 was the potential crankshaft issue. The rest of it just seems to be things to be aware of and check periodically. If the drank goes I figure I have other bikes to ride and friends who have the tools and knowledge to help me fix it.

So I guess I will be hanging my hat here for a while. Thanks for having me.

E