Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
secondofangle OP
Coprolalic Apostate

Oddometer: 41
$1000 for a 12K service on a 2011 R1200GS???

WTF? Sounds like they basically tear it down and put it back together but is that really necessary???

I mean Jesus. That's like $.15 a mile for maintenance, not to mention the extra quart of oil or 2 between services, and tires, which I also just replaced after 6000 miles. That adds another $0.06 per mile, so, excluding gas, I'm probably spending $.20 a mile just to keep this thing on the road.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
lanceputnam
Hayden's Dad

Oddometer: 428
Unless that includes a new set of TKC's, That is extremely high! Even then its still too high! Dealership or Indy shop? I would find out exactly what they are doing that would cause a 12k service to be $1k. What kind of inept mechs would need 8hrs plus consumables to do a 12k service? They should be billing by the time book, not by the skill of the mechs.

2012 BMW R1200 GS-Rallye
lanceputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Shoulda bought a DR650. Sometimes I blow the dirt mine off with an air hose.

But really,the $ thing is a right of passage with BMW owners.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondofangle View Post
WTF? Sounds like they basically tear it down and put it back together but is that really necessary???

I mean Jesus. That's like $.15 a mile for maintenance, not to mention the extra quart of oil or 2 between services, and tires, which I also just replaced after 6000 miles. That adds another $0.06 per mile, so, excluding gas, I'm probably spending $.20 a mile just to keep this thing on the road.
This is why most riders learn very quickly to do their own Maintainence. The first couple times you do it, it's a pita because you need to buy some tools and learn the techniques, but after that its a snap. I'm not a good mechanic by any means, and I can run through my GSA in an hour for valves & oil, and a few hours to do a 12k.

Turn on some tunes, grab a couple cold ones.....and save yourself $900......

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
secondofangle OP
Coprolalic Apostate

Well, technically it was $787 for the 12K service. Plus Brake flush which they recommended at 12K was $166.27 = 953, but with tax I'm calling it $1000 after rounding. Total bill was $1350, and that included 2 new Anakee 3 tires.

A partial list of what they did: Valves, plugs, oil and filter, air filter, some kind of transmission and/or rear end fluid thing, and several other things. According to the service rep guy "basically they tear the bike down and put it back together.....the 18K service is more minimal, but brace yourself for the 24K service." Only thing I will say on their behalf is I have a lot of engine and tank bars and lights they had to remove.

For all future services, I think I may visit a known local Indy shop. Unless somebody here can help me understand.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,866
Assuming you are somewhat mechanically inclined, you should take a look here:

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Hexhead_R1200_2004-2009.html

or here:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...13/DL650A.aspx

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
http://www.r1200gs.info/R1200GS-Main...-Schedules.pdf

This is what they do. No tearing down and putting back together.
It's really easy to do and takes very little time.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,344
They don't call em the stealership for nothing.

Automotive repair nowadays is pretty bad too though.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
secondofangle OP
Coprolalic Apostate

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
http://www.r1200gs.info/R1200GS-Main...-Schedules.pdf

This is what they do. No tearing down and putting back together.
It's really easy to do and takes very little time.
So is it reasonable to conclude that I got screwed because of my ignorance?

What should I do next time? I once did the service on my Sportster (now sold) and it took 4 hours and was a PITA. Saved $300 though. It's a tough call, right?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondofangle View Post
Well, technically it was $787 for the 12K service. Plus Brake flush which they recommended at 12K was $166.27 = 953, but with tax I'm calling it $1000 after rounding. Total bill was $1350, and that included 2 new Anakee 3 tires.

A partial list of what they did: Valves, plugs, oil and filter, air filter, some kind of transmission and/or rear end fluid thing, and several other things. According to the service rep guy "basically they tear the bike down and put it back together.....the 18K service is more minimal, but brace yourself for the 24K service." Only thing I will say on their behalf is I have a lot of engine and tank bars and lights they had to remove.

For all future services, I think I may visit a known local Indy shop. Unless somebody here can help me understand.
Seriously, I can do valves, throttle bodies, plugs, oil, rear drive oil and have it back up and running in about 1 hour. If I need to do the air filter it's another hour-ish to get the tank off and back on - but again, I'm not a great mechanic by any means.

The brake fluid / clutch fluid flush is about another hour-ish depending on if you have a helper.....

This is why I love my GSA - it's about the easiest of the big bikes to take care of yourself.

It'll also help you TREMENDOUSLY to feel more secure on trips, because you know you can dig in and fix things that wear out / go wrong....not all things of course, sometimes we still need a dealer to do work, but it's a very comforting feeling to know the bike intimately from doing your own work.

Heheheheheheh....intimately......

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
ElTigre1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
The 12,000 service on my R1200ST was just under $700 and that included the brake flush. That was done at a shop with $80 per hour rates. As for doing the work yourself, If it's a pain in the ass and takes 4 hours to do a Sportster with Hydraulic lifters, you might want to bring a lunch when doing the BMW service.
ElTigre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,219
Why not say where you are and perhaps someone with the skill will teach you.
By the way on a 12GS there is no need to mess with the tank. I rarely take 3 hours to do a 12k on my 1200GS.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,094
This isn't the basement so I will place nice.
The first thing you should do is understand everything that they will be doing to your bike.
Before they do it.
You should know how long it takes or at least what the flat rate is for each service.
BMW parts are very expensive. Oil and air filters, spark plus, consumable hardware.
All that stuff adds up.

The less you know about your bike and what services are done, the more you can get jerked around.
You don't need to do the service but you need to be an informed consumer.

I do all my minor and intermediate work, leaving the hard stuff for the shops to do, like transmission overhauls and the like.
I justify the purchase of new tools with the money I save. It however is work I enjoy doing and it doesn't feel like work.
Conversely I hate working on my car and take it to the shop. Especially since my cars mechanic has a decent hourly rate and does good work.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,749
This is a typical 12K service price:

This was on a 2012 R1200GSA.

IMHO, if you are semi-handy with tools, and posses a minimum of mechanical common sense, you can easily do all the required services and save a lot of money. I do not say this for my benefit, I have always said this!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
This is a typical 12K service price:

This was on a 2012 R1200GSA.

IMHO, if you are semi-handy with tools, and posses a minimum of mechanical common sense, you can easily do all the required services and save a lot of money. I do not say this for my benefit, I have always said this!

Jim
Then why are you paying someone else to do it? You contradict yourself.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote