User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
mlarivie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Looking for an ultralight wateproof suit for commuting

Just picked up a Concours this weekend and I'm looking to use it as a full time commuter rain or shine. My work commute is 20 miles. I've got a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 Jacket/Pant combo right now but I'm looking for something simpler to commute to work in New England rain or shine. I'd say what I hate about what I've got now is the zippers suck on the pants and the pads move in the jacket making it hard to get in and out of. I was thinking the Kathmandu would be a good buy but I didn't want to end up with another big jacket. I'm looking for a light suit that does it all and I can wear to work, preferably with no armor. I've got a a firstgear heated jacket and gerbing gloves so I'm covered with heat. What has worked for you guys? I'm not ready to throw down on an aerostich suit yet. Any advice on what to get?
mlarivie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,321
You could keep an eye out for a used Aerostich suit, or maybe an Olympia Phantom?

The Concours has awesome weather protection.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
ak bike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Rain gear

I purchased a pair of frog tog rain pants and since I want to be as visible as possible bought a hi viz la crosse rain coat and am very satisfied with them . I have a number of heavy rain days behind me some in excess of 200 mile days and have no complaints with the products. I am sure there is a number of adequate rain gear available . For the price the gear I have works for me .

ak bike screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 09:01 PM
ak bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Doesn't sound like you're an ATGATT type of guy. Are you looking for just raingear or a riding suit? You may want to check out TourMasters line of rain gear and riding suits.

Centurion Riding Suit
http://www.revzilla.com/product/tour...n-1-piece-suit

Elite Rain Suit
http://www.revzilla.com/product/tour...piece-rainsuit

BTW, I used to ride with the JR Alter Ego 2.0 jacket and pants. I liked the gear, but you're right the zippers were finicky. I went down in a lowside at around 45-50 and it the gear did it's job. I screwed up my knee because I tried to put my foot down, and fractured a few ribs from an impact, but didn't have a scratch on me, even though parts of the jacket and pants were shredded. I replaced it with a Cortech GX Air jacket and First Gear overpants (which are much easier to don than the Alter Ego pants).
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Ak Bike said it.

Light and cheap equals Frog Togs. I dont use them but I have friends that do and they swear by them.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 141
Frogg's 2-piece suit for $50-$60. Rained for 4 days straight on my ride in the Ozark's last year and I was completely dry. It's a good windbreaker suit as well.

The only issue with the Frogg's rain pants it that they do not have pockets, but they do have opening (which is covered and has a button) so that you can reach into your riding pants pockets. If you leave it open, there's a chance you might get some moisture/water on your riding pants underneath, but nothing terrible. I learned early on just to keep the "pockets" closed and it was all good from there on....

Definitely recommend them!
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
The ultimate weatherproof commuting suit is the Aerostitch Roadcrafter, but light & cheap it most def. is not.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,751
I own an Olympia Phantom, and it is heavy and stiff.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,530
Another vote for the Frogg Toggs. I have a 2-piece suit and it is absolutely waterproof, provided you keep the through-pockets closed as mentioned above. And it doesn't get much lighter or more packable than that. My only issue with them is that they are not cut for tall people so I have to have an XL for the right length sleeves and pant legs, but way too much extra material around the midsection, so it's kind of a flappy, noisy suit. If you don't have gorilla arms or are of a more average stature, they'll probably fit better.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #10
mlarivie OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreek View Post
I own an Olympia Phantom, and it is heavy and stiff.
Thanks for the heads up I was going to pull the trigger on one of these suits but I've already got a 300lb leather jacket..
Old 04-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #11
mlarivie OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Doesn't sound like you're an ATGATT type of guy. Are you looking for just raingear or a riding suit? You may want to check out TourMasters line of rain gear and riding suits.

Centurion Riding Suit
http://www.revzilla.com/product/tour...n-1-piece-suit

Elite Rain Suit
http://www.revzilla.com/product/tour...piece-rainsuit

BTW, I used to ride with the JR Alter Ego 2.0 jacket and pants. I liked the gear, but you're right the zippers were finicky. I went down in a lowside at around 45-50 and it the gear did it's job. I screwed up my knee because I tried to put my foot down, and fractured a few ribs from an impact, but didn't have a scratch on me, even though parts of the jacket and pants were shredded. I replaced it with a Cortech GX Air jacket and First Gear overpants (which are much easier to don than the Alter Ego pants).
Thanks Lee, I may check out Firstgear's jackets their heated jacket liner rocks, I sold my gerbing for one and just rode to work with it snowing and 30*F
Old 04-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
mlarivie OP
Adventurer

Can someone link me to the riders Frogg Toggs?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #13
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
If you're looking for the rain suit to pack up light and small, I'd check the camping supply section at Walmart. Before I got waterproof riding pants, I just picked up a pair of Coleman overpants for $10 that I could put on over my boots and jeans. They're not stylish by any means, but they fold up to the size of a can of coke. I believe they also made a waterproof jacket that you could wear on top of your existing riding gear.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by marivie View Post
Can someone link me to the riders Frogg Toggs?
Google "Frogg Toggs Road Toads".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlarivie View Post
Thanks Lee, I may check out Firstgear's jackets their heated jacket liner rocks, I sold my gerbing for one and just rode to work with it snowing and 30*F
I just got the Powerlet jacket liner and am pretty happy with it as well. 30 degrees is no problem with my JR Ballistic jacket and this liner.

But please clarify - are you looking for a one-piece riding suit, raingear, or just general recommendations for commuter wear? It seems most in this thread seem to think that you're looking for a rainsuit, but I didn't get that impression from your OP.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote