Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #166
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,485
right before goler, we stopped and asked ourselves if we want to go in the canyon

so we did to demystify the goler steps

then came pcfly and dirtmech coming from the opposite direction looking for a lost iphone.....hope someone did...??

gsequoia made it over the steps with some paddling...

jrzguy didn't have the momentum and got stuck in the deep gravel

jim and york

we only ventured several miles in the canyon, and have to turn around since it was getting late

remember there's a natural spring here, you may need water sometime later

nice group of 4wheelers

a very clean early bronco

me like.....yeah, i missed my 73 which is sitting in the backyard...

on the way back to ballarat

how much easier you can want....

at ballarat, i have to breakaway from the group. i'm already late and have to be back in camp for the thursday fund raising dinner. thanks to larry (galacticgs) for taking them home.

more pics later.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #167
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,280
Good stuff Joel!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
you see headlights?

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #168
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Got up early Saturday morning, had a quick breakfast, then hustled down to Ballarat to meet my dad.

He was driving up from SoCal for just the day, bringing my 525 along so we could ride some of the tougher stuff in the Panamint Mountains. Tried to get him to attend the rally, but he doesn't care for (party) crowds. A pity, since he would've won the most senior rider award

Turning off at Indian Ranch after a fast run down the highway.

Reflections on the mud flats.

Local desert lurkers.

Dad beat me to Ballarat by just a couple minutes. Good timing

Got the little bikes unloaded and started up Pleasant Canyon.

Opted to take the 'old' low road instead of the 'new' mining road.

Lots of water and pretty overgrown.

Road was in good shape up to Clair Camp, then much more rocks the rest of the way up.

Looking up at the big cabin at World Beater Mine. Kinda gloomy this morning.

Made it to the top and worked our way over towards Middle Park.

Pretty dry up here in general, but nice to see some bright green in the meadow.

Starting down South Park, more burro tracks than bike tracks.

Much steeper than it looks right here, never shows in the pics.

Got around the chicken rock just before a quad came up. He made it look easy.

There was a group of more quads and jeeps starting up from the cabins below. Very narrow section of trial up here, so we hustled down to a passing point before getting stuck in traffic.

Nobody home at Briggs Cabin or Stone Cabin, but looked like Briggs was occupied based on all the gear scattered around. We settled in on the patio for a break. Just a few minutes later I hear a lone bike putting down the canyon. Turns out to be Jimmy Lewis out exploring the Panamints as well.

JL joined us in the shade and had a nice chat with dad. Cool

Continued...

-M
Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #169
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Time to roll

The road descending the canyon was typical loose gravel and rocks

Getting very warm on the exposed front slope. Road here was about as rough as I have ever seen it.

We had thought about going down to Goler and Butte Valley as well, but dad said this was enough for today. He had just gotten over a bad cold and wasn't back up to full energy levels yet.

I helped dad load up in Ballarat, then jumped on the 950 for a fast run back up to PSR.

Back in time to clean up before dinner Tacos were great

Kicking off the evening's festivities...

The MC's and helpers did a great job with the raffle
Got a little rowdy as liberties were taken with some of the liquid prizes

... and in case you weren't there...

Back-o-the-house RULES

Things seemed to quiet down pretty quickly post party, but I thought I could hear some familiar voices from the patio across the street. I wandered over to find Duy, Joe, and their 'hillbilly' buddy (whose name I can't remember) finishing a last round after the bar had closed. Ran into these guys in the exact same place at last year's rally where they shared some great and funny stories. This night was no different. The conversation ran a gammut of topics that are also among the things I can't remember. (That is probably a good thing.) Couldn't hardly breath I was laughing so hard, thought I was gonna pass out

Eventually moved back over to a campfire where the hour and began to take their toll.

... and then it got weird

Finally crawled into my tent sometime before 2am

Not much to say about the ride home on sunday. Bombed pavement down to Boron for lunch at Domingo's

I was sick of the tarmac by that point, so I opted for fast pipeline and powerline roads back to the Cajon Pass.

Rumors of rain turned out to false, but gusty winds all the way home made for lousy mileage (< 30mpg) and a sore neck.

Looking forward to next year!

(Now I just gotta write a report for the five days before the rally )

-M
Old 04-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #170
jarthur
Old Desert Rat

Oddometer: 229
276 Antenna

Airborndad

had my own little gravity attack and broke the antenna off of my GPS

yesterday 4/12/13 I got a small package in the mail from a very generous ADVer with a new antenna in it

so so happy
made my day
THANK YOU VERY MUCH JA

No problemo.

Cheers,

'06 Husky TE 610, '07 Triumph Tiger 1050, '93 ATK 605
jarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #171
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Hi Bob and Joel

As far as I know the Dr. did perform surgery on the right shoulder
I hope he fix it right only time will tell.........Yes I got a message from Finn I wish him well and speedy recovery. Wonder if he need any Med I still have some that can drop off to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Scub, how did the surgery go?

I don't know if you heard. Finn went down last week on the road. Yup broken collar bone and broken ribs. All I can say is that was three for the group, thats it. No more broken collar bones in the group!
Quote:
thanks bob for the info. that sucks.

hey finn, sorry to hear your number got called. hope for your quick recovery. take care. let us know if you need something.

yes folks, this is the sport that we all love. there are risks involved, but i personally believed the rewards outweigh the consequences. ride safe and stay alert, and wish we don't hear anymore bad news.

long, how's the surgery? wishing you a quick recovery as well.

joel
ADV Rock
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #172
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Scub, how did the surgery go?

I don't know if you heard. Finn went down last week on the road. Yup broken collar bone and broken ribs. All I can say is that was three for the group, thats it. No more broken collar bones in the group!

Here's to a quick recovery for a ride leader who likes to challenge his charges.
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #173
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:

on the way back to ballarat

Joel, you need to get this rider hooked up with Aram. Looks like he could use some 8" bar risers

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #174
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
Joel, you need to get this rider hooked up with Aram. Looks like he could use some 8" bar risers
It isn't quite as bad as it looks in that photo, I'm only 6' 0".

After the event I bought some 2" Rox risers (through Rocky Mountain) because I thought those were the biggest, saw on the package they make up to 5". I need to sit down (stand up really) and figure out if the 2s are going to work before I open the packaging. My gut says the 3.5 will be better.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #175
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,922
Browneye's RR, part one

This was year three for me and the best yet. Originally I was going to bring the wife and kidlet (18 year old, 6' - 185lbs) but he had finals before spring break as a senior in high school and couldn't take the days off. At that point wifey didn't care so new-guy Greg opted for posh camping with me.

We were going to leave Wednesday night but network issues kept me working 'till late, even all the way up to departure 6am Thursday. We finally got going and arrived in DV mid-day.

Thursday I had setup a ride to Osborne for a shakedown and cocktail hour. We had quite a few riders along, more of them joining in as we left PSR. We had a good crew up there and lots of beers and catching up. Rich (M1jeep) and I moreorless lead our group out the easy way via Minietta Road, but had some difficutly figuring out which canyon to head up to find Osborne. Matt (rider914) volunteered to sweep and he was helpful in getting us to the right turn off back in the hills.

Rich and I were doing the tire air-down thing...

Dave (Pinocono) has that ADV salute thing down pat...

There was much laughter and cheer going on at the rustic cabin.

My buddy Greg hasn't been riding for about 5 years, so this was a good shakedown for him. His son and mine are in highschool band together. Greg has been listening to my adventure stories for long enough, he wanted in on the fun.

Grinchie made himself at home, parked on the front porch of the cabin. When it was time to go he was ready.

Time to head back to PSR for dinner and campfire stories. Dinner was a big hit with everyone as you can see here.

The chef was his normal ornery self....J/K
Uncle "Lonestar" Bob.

Couple'a happy campers here, don't you think?

browneye screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 11:35 AM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #176
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
It isn't quite as bad as it looks in that photo, I'm only 6' 0".

After the event I bought some 2" Rox risers (through Rocky Mountain) because I thought those were the biggest, saw on the package they make up to 5". I need to sit down (stand up really) and figure out if the 2s are going to work before I open the packaging. My gut says the 3.5 will be better.
I would recommend the 5's. You can change height a little through fore & aft positioning.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #177
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Browneye's RR, part two

Friday morning we had trouble getting going at a decent hour due to all the partying the night before. Seems there were a few folks in the same boat.

Ken (BlaiseW) had setup a ride for the Hunter Mountain and Cabin loop to take in TeaKettle Jct, RaceTrack, Ubehebe, and Scotty's. We let it fill up pretty big, then before the event he had emailed me asking how the hell he was supposed to herd all those cats. I said we'd join the ride and split it up for him, take the smaller faster bikes to make it more manageable. Seemed to work out pretty well.

We had nine riders that were all competent, kept up really well, no breakdowns, no flats, no injuries, no issues. Just the way I like it.

On the way out Saline Valley Road, as you climb up South Pass, you get a nice view looking down over Panamint Valley.

Good place to stop for a short break, regroup, and snap some pix.

Up at the cabin we had a nice break in the pine forest and waited for the rest of the group to arrive, do a meet-and-greet, and re-group. We waited for at least an hour and they never did show. It's pretty up there though.

On our way out from the cabin, heading toward Hidden Valley, we finally did catch the second group. Ken had to go back to PSR for some caliper bolts, and the rest of them were making their way along the route.

Nice group shot at TeaKettle Junction. We really did have an outstanding group for this ride.

RaceTrack did not disappoint. Many of the riders had never been there so it was a treat. We walked out to the island of rocks to find shade and have lunch.

Arnie (Afry) thought this was just too cool. If Johngil had not taken me there last year I would not have known to go out there.

We all picked a shady spot for a nice break.

After racetrack we headed back out toward Ubehebe and found our other half of the ride group stopped at Teakettle Jct. Found out one of the riders had broken his foot/leg but would be able to make it out to the hiway. Damn, what bummer.

I must have been tired because I didn't take any more photos. We stopped at the crater and took that in, on to Scotty's and walked around the grounds, and generally enjoyed the attraction. There are some cool old vehicles up in the barn there.

Ran into Jim (Spafxer) and his daughters in the truck with gas for the big steele pass ride group. Wow. Then we headed on back to PSR on the hiway. 175 miles today! Whoot!!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #178
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Browneye's RR, part three

Well Saturday was to be our big tough ride with the fast group. Johngil agreed to lead this one again, so I posted it up and we had a tremendous response. Lots of peeps wanted to see Cerro Gordo and the Salt Trams. It's a long strenuous ride out from Darwin in the sand, then up to 8K feet to Cerro Gordo, then plenty of technical double-track out to the Trams at 9K feet. So we split the group into two, Randal (R3R3R) took the lead on the other half of the riders.

Paul (Loner) had arranged for a tour at Cerro Gordo for us, so they were there when we arrived.

Pretty neat old place.

The bar had been built in recent years. As they had visitors up to the site everyone thought the old wild west place really needed a bar. So they built one to look the period.

Pix of riders snapping pix.... LOL
This is the stove in the bar room in the old hotel there.

Lots of neat old buildings up there.

We are up looking across at, not up at, the Sierra Range. Mount Whitney is over there someplace...

This definitely was the fast group. I said I would sweep. I ride pretty fast for an old fart, and all I could see was a few dust trails way off in the distance.

The boys were having a good day.

Same deal today...I must have gotten tired or preoccupied because I didn't take anymore pix. The salt trams were epic. We hung there for lunch and waited for the second half of our ride group, but they never showed. On the way back down we ran into a few of them, seems they had some issues getting up the grades going out there. It is a tough ride. I hesitated to disway a few peeps that had signed up that I knew would be in for more than they bargained for. We had a tight group today though, and again, no issues, no flats, no crashes, nada. Just the way I like it.

Satuday night was the big party. Had a grand time, laughed my ass off, and capped another fantastic rally at Death Valley. Joel has a winner here, and many thanks to all that made it happen.

See you all next year!!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #179
RoadCapt
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Great report & pictures !!!
RoadCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #180
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,785
+1