Me and Coursegoldkid
Old 04-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #197
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
Fixed!
Yeah, the luck of the Irish was sure working for me.
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #198
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Me and Coursegoldkid
jeff, i knew that was you, was too busy to socialize; besides i was avoiding cgk cuz i'm afraid he might bring up suspension tech day up in his backyard...

j/k. you guys set up a ride and we'll come + ....a tech day

half of the participants came and go. never got the chance to put faces on the names. well next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinocono View Post
Yeah, the luck of the Irish was sure working for me.
that and good karma.

you dave, jandrino and the elfinos should have bought super lotto tickets on that saturday....

folks...

WE STILL HAVE 1 GIFT CERTIFICATE @ 20% OFF for 1 REKLUSE CLUTCH. it's yours if you commit to buy it from SOLOMOTOPARTS.COM in the next 3 months.

also a $100 gift certificate - motorcycle service by "FOUR STROKE WORKS". i think they are in victorville.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #199
Lcolton_BMWVC
Poor College Student

Oddometer: 22
Lets try my hand at this,

Alright let me try my hand at this Ride Report type thing. Excuse the use of more words the pictures, my iPhone battery wasn't cooperating

The ADVRider NoOb ride was presented to me by one of our long time customers and I was told it would be “a great time out in Death Valley to ride and enjoy myself”. Yeah, right. Having never been out to Death Valley riding I decided that this would be a great opportunity to take a demo GS and see what it could really do out on the trail when riding it like BMW intended.

So the planning began.

I would be loading up my truck with all of my camping gear, a GS, snacks and the all important case of beer. The Monday before I had it all set, and took my truck in for an oil change to make sure it was ready to hall all my gear.

“By the way sir, do you know that your left front tire is missing a huge chunk out of the sidewall?”

Sh!t.

Death Valley adv ride by lylecolton, on Flickr

To the tire man late Tuesday to have the tires changed and wheels painted, oh yea and it was to be ready the next afternoon for me to pick it up to start loading. With the tire man coming through (and my pockets feeling much lighter) as always, I was all ready to go.

Now through this planning process I had planned on taking the recently redesigned 2013 F800GS. It was in my head the perfect bike to tackle the terrain that I would encounter out in DV. This was all planned, until a week before we received the new 2013 R1200GS/W. How could I not take it?

Skid plate? Check. Crash bars? Check. TKC-80’s? Check. Let’s get on the road!

When I arrived at Panamint Springs Resort, I was immediately greeted by some of our great customers who helped me unload the still shinny bike from the truck. As I went around camp, I encounter a long time customer who invited me on a ride he was leading that evening. The destination was Lookout City, an abandoned mining area that was to have a great view overlooking the Panamint Valley. I geared up and met the other riders, all for some reason on smaller plated dirt-bikes. As we started down the trail, I soon discovered why. First were the long sections of loose gravel, followed by some rocky 2 track. Just when I thought I was starting to get the hang of this new beast, we got to the boulder gardens. Now, I have been riding dirt bikes from a young age, but by no means do I claim to be an expert rider. I do consider myself competent however and decided to continue to push myself and the GS through. Knowing that this bike could take far more then I was able to give it was something that I kept in my head. After a quick nap for the GS, and countless stops to give my pumped forearms a break, we made it back to camp for dinner.

Wouldn't quite stay that shiny for long!

Dock that GS a days pay for nappin on the job!

"This is payback, isn't in Finn?"

The next day took a little longer to wake up, but I had a long ride scheduled that would show me the great places a GS can take you. First on the list of places to see, Darwin. This trial had a little bit of everything; rocky steep up hills, followed by similar down hills, gravel washes, sand washes and even some broken pavement roads now covered in dirt. At the end of this we found ourselves in the “ghost town” of Darwin. After a quick photo and water stop we took the short highway ride to Olancha Dunes. Now, this dune area wasn’t what many would call a large riding area, but our group of 15 had no problem spreading out. The big GS was surprisingly easy to handle in the sand, something everyone always complains about. These dunes did provide a great way to learn how to handle a bike in the sand as when it did start to go out of line; you didn’t need to worry about meeting the side of the trail and what lies beyond it.

UpSt8 checking in on the family, wondering why he just went up that dune!

After an hour playing in the sand we cruised into Ridgecrest for a nice BBQ lunch. I planned on taking a picture of the large roast beef sandwich that was placed in front of me, but wouldn’t you know it, it disappeared before I could get my camera out! After our filling lunch we gassed up and headed for the Trona Pinnacles. Having heard many a story about this area, I could not wait to get in and do a bit of exploring. The road in was great, with only a small section of sand that jumped up out of nowhere. Once past that, you can really see the amount of land that can be covered. We broke off to explore for 20 minutes and I found a few cool trails that weaved in and out of the cool rock formations that are associated with the Pinnacles.

A short ride back to camp capped a near 200 mile day. The GS was everything I could have wanted. Nimble on the tight trails, powerful on the hill climbs and great breaks to slow me down when I inevitably came into a turn too quickly. What do I think of the new GS compared to the old one? I can’t think of one thing that hasn’t been improved from the old oil cooled model. Even in my paranoia of overheating the new bike, I watched as the engine temp never climbed above 200 degrees and only heard the fan switch on a handful of times when I was moving slowly through a section. Alright I might have stalled a few times in those sections but still, not one bit of argument from the wethead.

I do want to thank everyone for the great time this trip!

Mr. Finn, thanks for the pictures and great rides, even if they were payback for your 800

Nancy, thanks for falling with me!

Jim, thanks for the heads up on this ride, I'll definitely be back next year!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #200
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcolton_BMWVC View Post

I was right behind you on my GS when you went down. That could have easily been me! The transition from hard pack at speed to that soft shit was really quick. Glad you made it out and had fun.
prince_ruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #201
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcolton_BMWVC View Post
Alright let me try my hand at this Ride Report type thing. Excuse the use of more words the pictures, my iPhone battery wasn't cooperating

* snip cool report
I was looking for you with the hope of a test ride.

Then I saw a lizard* and forgot what I was doing and why.

* Because there weren't any chickens in camp.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #202
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
Nice RR
I was really surprised at how well you did and the effort that you put in to it was what brought you and that behemoth of a bike a lot further along than a lot of the other (smaller) bikes on that AWESOME ride
good job
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #203
pinevalley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Better late than never...

Late to the party, but here I go…

Day before I left…

I can’t wait to get to the California sun…

All Loaded up

I had just got the Rally Moto Kit from Chris (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748125). I did not even have time to do a dry run on the install before I left. I hope I did not screw anything up.

Photo from the wife – day after I left….I can’t wait to get to the California sun…

It snowed again.

I ended up leaving Thursday (the week before the rally) and spending time with the parental units in the bay area before I headed to DV on Wed.

My first scheduled ride was with browneye on Thursday up to Osborn Cabin.

This was a great ride for me. It was challenging for me in the deep, big gravel – a new experience for me. Photo from the Thursday “Lost” ride (we crossed paths), but you get the idea.

Photo by Lost Rider.

Frankly I was being a pussy – this guy (Chad, aka Hypnosavant), with the biggest brass balls known to man, ended up riding the entire way with us.

Browneye brought beer, I had some “Trucker Scotch” which a couple of skeptical, trusting fools, partook in.

Fantastic intro to the DV Noob Rally.

Thanks to Rider914 for riding sweep!

Day two brought me on a “Lost Rider” tour…
We left for Darwin (lots on carnige). Sorry, not a lot of photos. Others had covered this ride better than myself.

After picking up bikes for a couple of hours we headed off for the dunes. What a fucking hoot that was.

Meat Popsicle (keep your daughters and kids away from this guy!)

Lost then took us to the Pinnacles:

Mrs. Lost (aka Izzyblue)

Unfortunately scubalong found something that was harder than his shoulder. Luckily nothing could wipe that grin off his face.

Photo by DSM8

Thanks to conteacher and bigtodd for riding sweep.

Saturday to come…

I’d like to share the conversation I had with my wife when I got back…
Wife: How was the trip?
Me: Great! I rode up some nasty slot canyon. “browneye” was at the end.
Wife: What?
Me: Friday was fantastic as well. A new friend, “meat popsicle”, and I got “Lost” together.
Wife: WTF? I need to go to work. You…you just unpack you stuff. See you tonight…assuming I come home.

I’m thinking to myself – it must be an ADV thing?
pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #204
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,482
LOL. Yep...it's a guy thing. He he.

You woudn't believe how many peeps have asked me WTF. It's an old nickname, seemed fitting for ADVRider.com.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #205
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
It's an old nickname
And here I figured you dropped your keys a lot.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #206
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,867
Good one man .

Loved rhe rr...had me rolling throughout. I need to meet you and MP! Looking forward to the next one. Hopefully sooner.
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #207
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
And here I figured you dropped your keys a lot.
You mean dropped the soap.

(my RR has to wait until the weekend - 3yr project summary report due... )

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #208
pinevalley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
So Saturday comes way too early…

So Saturday comes way too early…

I ended up taking a second “Lost” tour.

We pop up to one cabin…

Photo by Lost Rider

Photo by Lost Rider

then to another…

We fuel up…

ADVford looking for his mirrors in the side pocket of his pants…

Roll back to a scene from earlier in the day…

Photo by Lost Rider

So this guy (ADVford) – what a stud. He got his MC license a couple of months ago, got his bike two weeks ago. He is out there running circles around me (SOB).

Photo by Lost Rider

Again – what a stud!

We roll down the hill to an abandon mining operation. Lost can be seen at the top…

Our sweeper for the day (I terrible with names). Thank you sir!

Lost then took us for a long loop around the dry lake bed. It started to get hot, the road (not) started to get a little sandy with whoops. I testing the Rally Moto Kit fairing. Seems to hold up well during naps (sorry not photos). We ended up in Ballarat for a nice tasty beverage…

Photo by Lost Rider

Made it back to camp, shower, and beer across the street with some new friends (no photos).

In summary:
I have ridden a couple of “big” (well “big” for me) rides before, the CDR, the WABDR, but sadly all of them were solo. This was my first time at a “big” group event. What a fantastic group event it was. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming. The ride leaders (browneye and Lost Rider) gave all a fantastic taste of the area. The sweepers swept - not bitching and moaning about picking up those big bikes time and time again. When scubalong took a nap – Lost, conteacher and bigtodd jumped into action. They took him back home to camp, gave him a beer, ice and a sticker!

Thanks to all the Organizers, Vendors donating and participants.

And take the God Damn Jimmy Lewis class…(paraphrased Lost Rider quote)

pinevalley
pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #209
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,152
don't forget those pharmaceuticals Scubalong was enjoying unit the EMT showed up to "set" his shoulder... talk about a stud! He had multiple collar bone breaks, then had is shoulder set repeatedly, and was still smiling!!!

The only time he didn't smile was when he said "my wife's gonna kill me".

Great report pinevalley - I'll see if I can add anything this weekend (back to work I go).

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #210
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Hahaha

I can believe you still remember what I said, yes that is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
don't forget those pharmaceuticals Scubalong was enjoying unit the EMT showed up to "set" his shoulder... talk about a stud! He had multiple collar bone breaks, then had is shoulder set repeatedly, and was still smiling!!!

The only time he didn't smile was when he said "my wife's gonna kill me".

Great report pinevalley - I'll see if I can add anything this weekend (back to work I go).
Scubalong is online now   Reply With Quote