Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #76
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka View Post
I know, I know...

Spring is swamped for me. I only get one or two weekends off this time of year with track meets, Easter (wife has objections), and I take the week of spring break off and we do our last family desert trip then. Seems like every year there is a conflict for me.

I do still plan on brewing up some home brew for this next year though for the Stewards dinner though even if I can't make it. We just couldn't make enough in time for this years event.
Yeah, I understand... Easter was a deal breaker for lots of FFs... I look forward to sampling your beer... don't you live near me?...
Old 04-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #77
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

reposted from the nOOb rally thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
I am checking SPOTs and saw that Andy (Macadamia) turned back from Saline Valley Road right after South Pass where other riders kept going to Springs. Is everything OK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopascat View Post
Looks like he's back at camp now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
Yeah he is. I hope he is OK. It looks like he was over South Pass. So the rest of the SalineValley Road would be easier.
I wonder why he turned back.
Well, I wanted to make it to the hottie springs this year. Everything started out well, riding along with Cowgirl and Rider914... After stopping at the fork to Hunter Mountain and airing down, we proceeded to head down south pass.

A couple of miles down south pass, after the second stream wash, I got into trouble with the large rocks while heading down hill. I was going too slow and when I applied my front brake, it acted like a panic stop and stopped me cold. The front tire turned and caught a space between a couple of large rocks and with my momentum gone, I went down. A couple of other riders stopped and assisted Rider914 and me to get the GS Adventure back on it's feet. At this point, Rider914 and I had a frank discussion about how much farther it was to the hot springs (far), how much easier it was going to get (not any), and whether or not we'd be back in time for dinner (unlikely). I was given the choice to continue but I decided it was in my best interest to turn around at this point so the others in my group could continue on and finish their ride and I could return to the camp and take a break. I did not want to ruin Rider914 or Cowgirl's ride.

Unfortunately, I do not remember the names of the other 2 riders that stopped and helped me get going. One of them rode my bike up the hill past the first stream wash like it was nothing. I walked up the hill back to my bike. At first, I was embarrassed that I could not complete the ride - I'm not usually one to quit. After accepting a cold water bottle from a nice Jeeper coming down the pass, I knew I made the right choice and got over it... I made it back to camp with no other issues. I actually had a blast riding Saline Valley Rode twice.

As for the GS Adventure, it got a couple of scrapes and scratches, and the only carnage was one of the 2 spring bosses on the kickstand broke off and caused my kickstand to bounce in the up position the rest of the weekend while riding off road.

Rider914 said he took a photo of my bike while it was napping, but I have not seen it yet. Do you have it, Matt? edit: photo found of my nap...

Photo by Rider914

BTW, I'm very impressed by the progress Cowgirl has made since last year. This year, she led this ride the whole way and I did not see her again after the Hunter Mountain fork until she returned to camp that evening. Great job, Cindy!!!

macadamia screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 02:40 PM Reason: added photo of my bike's nap
macadamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #78
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
I did what I could to add confusion and gave the wrong directions when I actually had no idea where the Lost Group was going, instead of telling them to stay put until the ride leader caught up from helping other riders.

... then hustled on to catch up with my group

-M

Fixed that for you.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #79
superhobie
Soil Sampler

Oddometer: 100
See what he did there...

superhobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #80
Shunka
Supervision Required

Oddometer: 3,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
Yeah, I understand... Easter was a deal breaker for lots of FFs... I look forward to sampling your beer... don't you live near me?...
PM sent.
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #81
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
sure glad I missed this one
Old 04-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #82
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Fixed that for you.
OK, got it. Thanks

So who was leading when the leader was sweeping?

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #83
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,039
Anybody have the group pic at Teakettle Junction from Blaisew's (Ken) Hunter Mountain-Teakettle Junction-Ubehebe ride on Friday?
xt250 "Little Donkey" - sold August 2013
Honda Rebel "The Wee Beastie" - sold May 2013
Little Bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #84
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
At lunch, the food was good but the conversation was awesome... I'm glad I got to meet you and spend some time with you. I look forward to riding around with you in San Diego County.
Thanks! As soon as things settle down around here (i.e. - I get caught up on grading) we'll schedule a ride
xt250 "Little Donkey" - sold August 2013
Honda Rebel "The Wee Beastie" - sold May 2013
Little Bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #85
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
Thanks! As soon as things settle down around here (i.e. - I get caught up on grading) we'll schedule a ride
Remember, my schedule is much more flexible than yours when preplanning rides.

macadamia screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 07:36 PM
macadamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #86
Hypnosavant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
I think there were ~5 naps, but I didn't get a picture of any. Chad either had his bike up before I could get my sidestand down, or he was partly pinned so pictures were not a priority.
I counted 4 naps but who's counting? Matt was always quick to rescue. The way back was much better. Didn't hurt to have a little Scotch in the "tank" .

Reporter: I see, the hangman's ready. What's his name?
Alvin: We the People.
Hypnosavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #87
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Thanks rider 914 for sending us the wrong way. It's all your fault.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #88
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Guys and dolls,

I enjoyed coordinating the dinner on thursday. I tried to keep it cheap, more $$ for stewards of the Sequoias. I had tons of help. Many people stepped up to make it all happen. From talking to Joel, it looks like we made $800 for the SOS . I did not realize how much work was involved. I crashed early Thursday and slept like a baby. Would I do it again? Only if I was not riding.

Joel, note for next years dinner.........very few people ate salad. No more than two bags of salad. More burgers and a second pot for the chili.

hi bob, your participation didn't end in vain. you may not be able to ride, but you were all over the campground. great job in leading the thursday night SOS fund raiser.

YES FOLKS...WE RAISED $800 (AS COMPARED TO $300 LAST YEAR) FOR SOS.

WE NEED TO KEEP ON SUPPORTING ORGANIZATIONS THAT FIGHT FOR OUR CAUSE REGARDLESS WE RIDE IN THE SEQUOIAS. HAVING THE PEOPLE AND ORGANIZATIONS WORKING HARD TO KEEP THE TRAILS OPEN IS WHAT MATTERS.

likewise, we will also be sending $ to CORVA and BRC. i'm sure there will be $ left for RIDER DOWN FOUNDATION

another way we could help our cause is subsribed to ADV MOTO MAGAZINE. they are dedicated to the adventure riding community. they can be our voice; they provide us inspirations and keep us informed.

least we could do is to continue to remain active throughout the year.

thanks for all the support and help you guys and ladies provided.

joel
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #89
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,651
My DV Noobs Report

It was a fun 5 days. Thank you Joel and all the other volunteers who made this such a great event.

Unfortunately I am reading about too many injuries for the amount of riders participating.

We (my friend Ron and I) pulled in Tuesday morning and set up camp in space # 1. We stayed around camp on Tuesday getting all moved in and set up.

It was a full moon this week with great moonrises over the Panamint Range and Telescope Peak

Wednesday I led Ron, who had never been to Death Valley, through the usual tourist sites via pavement, Furnace Creek, Artists Drive, 20 Mule Tam Canyon. Would have done Badwater too but his damn scooter kept acting up. Turns out the air box tube fell off the carb and the rubber intake manifold cracked.

Furnace Creek

Artists Palette

Thursday Morning I led a ride to Ballarat, Wildrose, the Charcoal Kilns and Aguerreberry Point. Included were Mr & Mrs Elifino (Doug & Ann) in another Ural, Ratchdaddy (Paul), Ratchdaddy's friend (sorry, I forgot his name and handle), Don (Beats Workin ???), the aforementioned Ron and this Hyper Yamaha Dude (Mitchell???) who was always in a rush and finally passed me and took off on his own.

Ballarat was unchanged but I did get to chat with Rusty, the caretaker, for a bit (he smelled pretty good this time, he has been pretty rank in the past).

After Ballarat we took Indian Ranch Road, a nice dirt road past a couple of lakes and back to pavement to go up the hill to Wildrose and the Charcoal Kilns.

Older photo, I didn't take any at the Kilns this trip as I managed to park my Ural on its left side. Very minor injuries to both the bike and myself.

Next we proceeded to Aguerreberry Point but only the Elifinos, Ratchdaddy and myself made it to the top. Hyper Yamaha Dude went off on his own and Ratchdaddy's friend went to look for him and Ron broke down on yet another POS bike and Beats Working stayed behind to help him out.

The Elifino's

Ratchdaddy

The view (sorry it was a hazy day)

Friday I led a ride to Rhyolite and Titus Canyon. Joining me were the Elifinos on dirt bikes, Don (Beats Working) and Geoff (GSequoia). Ron had nothing running reliably enough to join us. We slabbed it to Beatty for gas then stopped next at Rhyolite.

After Rhyolite we proceeded down the hill a half mile to the outdoor art exhibit

The carpet matches the drapes

Don (Beats Working) clashing with the "Last Supper"

The 4 dirt bikes coming up the to the pass before dropping down into Titus Cyn.

Doug (Elifino)

The famous Titus photo that everyone has

Ann (Mrs. Elifino) at the top of the pass.

Geoff (GSequoia) kicking back at Leadfield

Let me close with some Death Valley detritus (hash mark and all) seen at Leadfield ghost town

Unfortunately I had to leave around noon Saturday due to a family emergency so I missed all the evening festivities (drunk-fest).

I am looking forward to next year

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #90
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,014
I ALMOST* feel bad for stealing some of these cool pictures so I can add them to my Smugmug.

* but no quite

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote