Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #91
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
I had a great time this year, as last, although a swollen knee inhibited my riding a bit, and kept me out of it a couple of days. It's hell to get old! Friday's Noob ride to Hunter Mtn. and Teakettle was covered pretty well by Little Bike and it was good to have her along. Browneye took over the "fast" group and the rest went with me; nine riders as I recall. Here is our quick stop at Father Crowley's for a cell phone break.

Then it was up the highway to the Saline Valley Rd. turn off. Just before that, I glanced at my speedo and saw "0"! Uh Oh, something is wrong. Looking down at the front wheel I noticed my brake caliper hanging by the wires, with just one bolt barely hanging in the mounting lug but not connected to the fork. 'Pulled over carefully but by that time the bolt had bid adios. We managed to find one bolt and secured the caliper temporarily, but obviously I couldn't continue the ride with just one bolt and no front brake. We disucssed options and after giving careful descriptions of the route and major turns, the group pushed ahead while I went back to look for the other bolt, or back to camp for either another bolt or to get my WR250R. Put putted along for a while, but no luck on the bolt, so off to PSR and Lior who had a replacement bolt. Then, on the gas to try to catch up with the group. I didn't think I would be able to do that since it had taken so long to ride back to PSR. But, due to some judicious use of the throttle, I caught up with them, and Browneye's group (who dawdled at Hunter Cabin waiting on us) just past the Hunter Cabin turn off. Little Bike did a good job of covering the rest of the days ride.

Saturday we had a small group who wanted an easy ride to Cerro Gordo; Paul Callisto (Huskyfly), Rene, Piconino and Cowgirl. I decided to take the Husky Terra on this one.

As Browneye said previously, this is not a dirt bike, but it is a nice long distance adventure bike that will do some trail work if it's not too extreme. Kind of like an updated KLR, and that's how I'll use it. Cerro Gordo, Titus Canyon, and maybe a little more challening stuff is perfect but one does have to ride a bit slower.

Cowgirl and Paul

Paul and Rene

All in all, a really nice trip, and thanks so much to the organizers for all their work!

Blaise W screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 02:26 PM
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #92
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,842
Uh, Ken, that's me
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #93
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Yup, can't miss the Cowgirl's orange whether the the helmet is on or off!

Another thanks to our sponsors! While I was not a winner of product I just ordered a set of bar risers and a new Shinko 705 rear from Rocky Mountain ATC/MC. I made it a point to call the order in and thank them for supporting our event.

I knew I was going to buy a 705 shortly after the event, didn't know I needed bar risers until Thursday.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #94
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Cowgirl, Oooops! Guess I missed the red hair under your helmet. Consider me suitably chastised! And no, I am not going to say that if you've seen one (woman) you've seen them all......besides, it's not true!

K
Old 04-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #95
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
Another thanks to our sponsors! While I was not a winner of product I just ordered a set of bar risers and a new Shinko 705 rear from Rocky Mountain ATC/MC. I made it a point to call the order in and thank them for supporting our event.

I knew I was going to buy a 705 shortly after the event, didn't know I needed bar risers until Thursday.
geoff, yes a bar riser will make this picture a lot better........regardless, you did well on your first dirt ride...congrats
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #96
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Geoff looks really tall in that pic. I hope he ordered some man-sized bar risers, like Rox, or Rox with their auxiliary rise increase. A buddy who is around 6' 2 or 3" had to go that way and he got a 3 or 3.5" rise on his WRR. Had to buy a new clutch cable, but it was worth it.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #97
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Another bike for next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Don't wish to 'jack the thread, but the Tiger is 25lbs heavier with 50% more power and suspension travel. With the 21" front there's really no comparison. I put about 8K on my Versys, was a neat little bike, but the Tiger is substantially more bike. It's still my road bike though, wouldn't think of riding it to Osborne.

The Terra is 40lbs heavier than myTE630, with 2" less suspension travel on each end. It's a nice bike, but not nearly a real offroader. Ken (blaisew) from Houston had both at the rally. As capable as the TE is, it's still no comparison to a 450/525 size KTM/Husky, etc. If you're keeping the 'strom, consider a plated dirtbike - a real one.
I'm in the same place with my F800GS. It made it up Chloride Cliffs but in the back of my mind I had to consider how I was going to get to work when I broke my commuter. I think next year I may show up on a DRZ400 and that will also open up some other areas for me to ride. Put my street tires back on the F800 today and went to play in my sandy yard. I sure can notice the difference.
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #98
oeno
n00b

Oddometer: 5
WOW awesome trip. Love Death Valley. The pic are great. Trips like these inspire me to first get a bike, now to safe for a proper bike. Maybe next year I can join in on the fun. Keep it up.

Oeno
oeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #99
headstaller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Not a real RR .......

This is my first trip to the nOOb rally and came away with fond memories. Many thanks to Joel and the many peeps that made this an awesome event

On the road around 9AM Thursday... The ride up is uneventful.

Lonely Highway pic..

Entering DV

Thursday fund raising dinner was great.. kudos to Bob.

Friday.
There are a few peeps signed up for the this ride but for some reason I am the only one left ... Joel was kind enough to lead me out anyway, John joint us for the ride.

Joel gave me some word of advise and we are on our way to Ballarat.... I was slow and fighting the memories of my last spill. I eventually ease up a bit and 'cruise' at a mediocre speed

Saw this on the way

At Ballarat

Charcoal Kilns. These structures withstood the test of time and in great condition.

Casa Joel

Stop by Eureka Mine on the way to Aguereberry Point

Target rich environment

What a beautiful place

me..me..me..

I don't have any pictures of Skiddoo. I climbed a hill there that I shouldn't have, coming down was CRAZY !!! Disappointed Joel... I knew he had his camera ready

Thanks Joel and John for staying with me and showing me the way. Can you post up some of my 'action' shots?

Saturday.
Rich's ride to Chloride Cliff and Titus Canyon. I would have bailed if not for the word of encouragement from Rob, Ersin and John. Thanks.

Chloride Cliff trail head

Should have stay (for my riding skill ), but I rode that path on the left anyway

and was rewarded with this incredible view

On the way out to Beatty, rider had a flat. I stopped and took some pictures and was rewarded for lunch. Good deal. Thanks JonF.

The group was pressing for time and I don't want to slow the group down so I suggested that I slap it back to camp with Ersin. The ever helpful John offer to take me through Titus ahead of the group.

I took a picture of him...

...he took one for me

And we are done

headstaller screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 09:33 PM
headstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #100
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,621
Wednesday

Pack and Loaded ready to go. We met Rjnutt and convoyed down together.

Wednesday night we had 9 people in a 16 foot trailer! We had parked in Joel's spot so he just came over and moved in! Safety vest and all!

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #101
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 225
First ride with the ADV group. Thanks again everyone for the riding tips, it really improved my weekend. Here's a few random shots from the weekend.

Had to have one in front of the sign.

Ariborndad proving you don't NEED a GoPro

Ariborndad and Airbornson at the top of Titus

Up on Aguereberry Point

Not sure who the hobo was but he made it up to Minnietta.

And the moon was awesome.

No personal pics of me on my side (cough**cough**Ariborndad) but I'm sure Lost rider has a few.
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #102
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,621
Thursday

Rjnutt had set up a "Noob ride" to Darwin and Olancha Dunes and back; so Marcia and I joined it. Marcia was really a Noob this year on two wheels. 14or15 noobs signed up for the ride but only 6 showed up. Apparently Jimmy Lewis was cracking the whip and wore those poor noobs out.

left Pomo (Pat) young guy with more energy and skill for all of us

middle Ladysdirtbomb (his screen name is worse than mine)

right Sandplow (Tony was thinking "I'll show these kids how the old school rolls)

Middle Rjnutt and endurobob on left (who can ride a bike)

Marcia and Sandplow on the road to Darwin

Stopped at China Springs to feed the Gold Fish

Stopped at the Darwin Dance Hall

I cut a rug with the King himself

All the screaming fans rushed me wanting pics and autographs (thats sarcasm. You might see it now and again)

We sent post cards from the post office

Rjnutt got his rabies shot although i think its too little too late

The Shell Gas Pump was plumb dry so NO topping off in Darwin

So off we go towards Olancha Dunes

Rest stop and check the GPS route

Ladysdirtbimb giving directions right before going the wrong direction (he had never been there didn't have a map or gps but that didn't stop him from giving his top notch sense of direction)

Pretty cool ride with Joshua trees out side of Darwin towards the Dunes

We made it to the Dunes Rjutt

Sandplow (really wishing he had Estart)

Endurobob ripping it up

Glamour shot

Sandplow too tired to kick it so he took a break and watched

I followed rjnutt over the top of the dune and saw this (the bike is facing the opposite direction it started. We had been going down hill not up the hill)

You ok? There had been some soft stuff that made the bike indo. Just some cracked ribs

His helmet made me want a sugar doughnut

Sandplow finally got his bike kicked over and started plowing some sand

Took a break at Olancha gas station

The corral of stallions

After some refreshment we headed back the same direction

sun was going down and shadows starting getting long This was NO Noob ride at the speeds Bob and Pat set. I didnt get any pics of Pat in the sand dunes cause he was too fast!

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 02:06 PM
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #103
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,876
I have been to DV 4 times by now (3 DVNR and once in November) and after seeing all the pictures, I feel like I've never been there (or I've never been to anywhere yet).
I say I've seen probably only 10 percent of it. I still didn't see China Spring, Kilns, Cerro Gordo, etc... The list goes on and on.
I want to do this Noobs Rally weekend a whole week once and arrive a week before, ride at least 50% of DV. Hopefully next year.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #104
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,824
My DV Report is building HERE

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #105
rruugger
formally rruugger

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by headstaller View Post
This is my first trip to the nOOb rally and came away with fond memories.

...he took one for me

Chu, you handled your 800 just fine! Its good to challange yourself a little bit with in reason. Dont go rid'n over your head. Like Jimmy L says " dont ride any faster than you can stop! Glad you decided to coninue on at CL cliffs. A few more downhills and you wont feel like your stomach is in your throat everytime Titus was Nice! No dust just the two bikes

And we are done
[QUOTE=THRASHED;21122711]First ride with the ADV group.

Nice shot of Peter