User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Dogtown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Whaduyathink?

Getting the 07 990 adv ready for some long haul adventure rides and have a dilemma. With over 30K on the bike I still have the original water pump and fuel filter. As far as I can tell everything is within spec... no water in oil or vise versa and fuel comes out of the bike just as fast as i put it in!

On a 12 day trip I took last summer I took spares with me just in case but who the hell wants to take half a day to swap out parts on a vacation?

I'm not one for fixing things that ain't broken but with the 990's reputation with these parts I'm on borrowed time...Right??

How far have you all gotten with these items before failure or swap out???

What would y'all do?

Cheers!

Marin County To Cabo!
Dogtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
pdxmotorhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
I just bought a 06 950 and over the winter did the full maintenance, it has some of htefoam in teh clutch cover so I assumed it was due.. Turned out I caught it just right.. The shaft had significant wear and was definately starting to weep by. Bike has almost 31K on it..

Dave
Old 04-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
mikeegee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
At last years CJRacer Tech Days I did the water pump as part of regular maintenance. Mine is an '07 and then I was at about 18k miles.

Did a flush of the cooling system and what came out made dirty dishwater look good.

Pretty much a no-brainer to me. I'd do it for peace of mind before I left.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Its pretty easy to do a coolant flush and just pull out the waterpump seal. Then you can decide if the shaft looks bad enough to go in further.

My 08 had 18,000 miles and the shaft looked fine so all I did was lube the lips of a new seal and pop it in.

As regards the fuel filter I pulled out the pump, removed the filters and rinsed them out in a jar of fuel a couple of times. Quite a bit of grit came out. I then let them dry and refitted.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 377
Come on.....you know the answer. Besides, you'll feel sooo much better once you do it.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,010
Cool2 Do it & be Done

Go down to Scuderia West & buy the kit from Don & the gang

Take your time and follow the HOW if you need to

It definitely helps to freeze the new bearings (just leave them in a ziploc and put them in overnight) to shrink them to make installation easy- they will fall in. Just don't take them out and lay them on the bench, they are so small and have so little thermal mass they will warm up (& expand) quickly. I wait until the last second, which is why most all of these jobs have occured in the kitchen (shop has one)

With the case cover stripped of old seal & the case gasket remnants removed, put it on a piece of alum foil on a cookie sheet in put in the oven. This will expand it so the bearings will simply fall out. Just make sure the Mrs. doesn't know what you are doing on her kitchen floor, and run the vent fan to get rid of the hot oil smell. Use old oven mitts too!

If the case has a lot of corrosion or fowling under the seal, spraying contact cleaner directly on the (hot) soiled area will lift all but the most stubborn dirt right off the aluminium surface. Just pop back into the oven for a few to re-heat the bearing bores to re-expand them.

Have your quality snap-ring plier sized & setup to the circlips on the shaft.

I use a couple of pieces of 2x4 to keep the hot cover off the floor while you're working on it

The new seals are a lot tougher to get in than the older ones, so lube it with a bit of coolant so it goes in.

If you have the $, buy yourself the seal driver (installation) tool

KTM 950 990 LC8 Water Pump Seal Tool 60029082000

and the water pump shaft seal installation tool

KTM MOUNT.SLEEVE F. SH.S.RING WAPU 58529005000

which threads into the water pump shaft & allows the seal lips to slide easily over the new shaft end. You don't HAVE to have them, but for the price they offer foolproof installation (esp the sleeve tool) and damaging the seal means you have to re-do it all anyway. I have seen 3 seals now mis-installed & I re-did the job for the (frustrated) customers. Of course the oil had to be changed since it was contaminated, so it's more money lost as well as the time. I carry these tools along with my spare pump seal, snap rings & pump shaft with the bike at all times along with a cheap (Horrible Fright Toolz) pair of pliers ground to use on the snap rings.

One good thing is the new seals & shaft are higher quality than the originals so you should get 30-50K out of them.

CJRacer also makes a water pump shaft of his own that is harder even than the KTM offering, and he sells complete kits too
'87 KLR650 - +170K miles "looks like you've had a lot of fun on that bike..."
geometrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,708
I'm in the same boat since I'm going on a 12,000 mile trip in July. Already changed the whole shebang once about 8,000 miles ago and my plan is to do the quick change like above: shaft and seals. CJ told me that he had 40,000 on his bike and he wasn't worried about it, just go ride. (He also said he ships if need be.)

I figure the bearings will do 40,000 miles so I'm just going to do the seals just for peace of mind.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to North Dakota
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote