User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,338
Triumph Scrambler tribute

I was cloud thinking the other day about what type of bike I'd go for if I was to get rid of my Airhead.

I would like to get something old school looking however with new reliabilty & no parts problems. I have often wondered what a new Scrambler would be like.
What attracts me personally is the style- high bars, high exhausts, a nod back to nostalgia.

What doesn't appeal is - price (compared to other bikes of similar ages), some off the shelf look tooo clean & new - they almost need that lived in look to be legit.

I thought I'd put together in one thread some vids, images & info for others that may be interested. You may have seen them in the other threads around.

Alot of talking in this one but some great images

They bought out the Steve McQueen model which looks quite cool on the sand but not on the showstand

Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,328
I wonder what McQueen would think about his signature on that bike. You'd look cool on one of those with an open face helmet. A Triumph tattoo looks way cooler than a BMW one too - like, who gets a BMW tattoo?
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Padmei OP
enamoured

There have been some gruntier customs made

http://www.bikeexif.com/tridays-triumph-scrambler

http://silodrome.com/triumph-scrambler-custom/

http://jvb-moto.com/rocknroll/?page_id=338

I have ridden one once around a carpark. I had just got off my KLR & onto it. It immediately felt weighty (yeah yeah KLRs are heavy too) but felt more substantial. Also the gearbox felt incredibly wide compared to a UJM. I can't really comment on suspension & power etc although other report they are pretty ordinary in that department.

A comment was that they were quite posey type bikes.... Hmmm yeah maybe they are. But there are a some really nice retro style bikes such as the moto Guzzi V7 in cafe form

The venerable Kawasaki W650 has been known to sport high pipes & the W800 may be a better platform to customise

http://beforeitsnews.com/motor-junki...r-2454702.html

For someone like myself (& I daresay a few other Sunday riders), performance, handling, suspension or horsepower specs may not be the drawcard to riding their chosen steed. Instead it may be the attraction of the romance of motorcycling that fires their passion.

I'd like to hear what experiences others have had on a Scrambler or similar style bike or indeed if there are any other bikes that fit the modern/retro mold.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Trustme has a scrambler with Ohlins, seems to go quite well, in a certain light he looks like Steve McQueen, and some say he sports a Triumph tattoo.
We're thinking of going to Ohura Prison ( now a backpackers) I chase him on the BMW and he jumps to freedom over the fence...

The Commando tick a lot of boxes for the Sunday ride.... AA member tick, drop bike to your house tick..... seriously it takes you back to another time when motorcycle riders kick started oily hot noisy machines with right foot gear shifts that work upside down and brakes that sort of slow you down....
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 822
I dunno.... A brand new scramblers what.... ? 15 k. Not a whole heap more than a new klr.
Have you tried the guzzi v7 demo bike at city m.c. ? It was a very nice little bike, smooth, reasonably quick and it sounded pretty cool. Downside is.... It was built for midgets I had to assume the fetal position to ride it
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,472
I'm a big fan of the scrambler...thanks for posting
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Oddometer: 15,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj View Post
I dunno.... A brand new scramblers what.... ? 15 k. Not a whole heap more than a new klr.
Have you tried the guzzi v7 demo bike at city m.c. ? It was a very nice little bike, smooth, reasonably quick and it sounded pretty cool. Downside is.... It was built for midgets I had to assume the fetal position to ride it
Et viola mes ami! - a new scrambler for 12k: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-577162736.htm

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Et viola mes ami! - a new scrambler for 12k: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-577162736.htm
Pourquoi vous remercie Oscar....
There ya go Padders, I'm sure the accountant can make it a necessary company vehicle
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
KLR and Beemer riders lusting after a scrambler
I need a new ride.
Something like an airhead but cooler, hmmm, Zundapp springs to mind.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
Padmei OP
enamoured

Found a parially interesting debate on kiddiebiker re new retro Triumphs vs kawasakis
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-Triumph-Bonne

You know I had almost forgotten about the Triumph tattoo- I have to admit I did one on my arm with a biro when I was a young fella. Anyone else know Triumph had an i in it?
Old 04-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #11
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
right foot gear shifts that work upside down
These days it's called a race shift pattern - Triumph used to be the odd one out for having a ''reverse'' shift pattern....these days it's the standard pattern. Just another example of how far ahead Triumph were in their day.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #12
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Found a parially interesting debate on kiddiebiker re new retro Triumphs vs kawasakis
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-Triumph-Bonne

You know I had almost forgotten about the Triumph tattoo- I have to admit I did one on my arm with a biro when I was a young fella. Anyone else know Triumph had an i in it?
Not that interesting as I posted on it.....
As a former owner they are an ok bike, about the same power as an R80/100, can be made to go better but it starts to add up.
Moses was Triumph man...." Moses came down from the mountain upon his Triumph"
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:35 AM   #13
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 805
My take on scramblers.

Really like them, but me being me I would wreck it, yes for the first few rides I would take it easy and only ride on the road, but gradually those side roads that we ride past would beckon and we would "just go in for a looksee". Then side tracks off side roads would look interesting and we would "just go and have a look till it gets a bit knarly" then turn back. Then foresty tracks off side roads off side roads would start to look challenging, and............. you know where this is going aye? Nordie would suggest taking some action shots of us going up a wall-like firebreak that he has no intention of trying himself and........................

So for that reason I would have the v7 Guzzi or a Thruxton and keep the KLR cos its already munted.
innathyzit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #14
Padmei OP
enamoured

Also following the theme is the Royal Enfield.

I had a test ride on one of these many years ago. There was a character using them as touring bikes in India then bringing them in & selling them here. I found them very substantial but fun in an elephant type of way.

There are trials kits you can buy & put on reasonably easily. Here's one I prepared earlier. I doubt it would ever see any dust tho.

triboy how do you find yours? What would you like to change if you could?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Oddometer: 15,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
KLR and Beemer riders lusting after a scrambler
I need a new ride.
Something like an airhead but cooler, hmmm, Zundapp springs to mind.
I'll swap yer Trumpy for my Denpr.

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is online now   Reply With Quote