User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
vf-17 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Battery trouble on 05'.5 950A

My original battery finally went out..I went out and bought a new one but when I put it in and hit the start button all it did was make a buzz sound coming from that relay box next to the brake peddle and wouldn't engage the starter at all.
I took the new battery to Autozone to have it tested...the results were..10.38 volts and 1CCA.
SO..before I return the battery for another..my question is...
Is there anything in the bikes electrical system that could have trashed this new battery?

Note: I am the original owner of the 950 and it does not have any type of electrical add on's
The battery is model#BTZ14S
Thanks Scott.
97'KTM 360
96"XR 400
BIG orange KTM motorcycles and BIG orange Tennessee football....GO VOLS!
vf-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
skidxr
Excuses

Oddometer: 374
Sounds like you got a lemon with that battery. Don't think it would be your bike.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,781
Maybe a stupid question but,,, did you charge the battery before installing/trying it?

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
vf-17 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
Maybe a stupid question but,,, did you charge the battery before installing/trying it?
No....the cycle shop said it was good to go..however..I did afterwards and it would not charge.
97'KTM 360
96"XR 400
BIG orange KTM motorcycles and BIG orange Tennessee football....GO VOLS!
vf-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,781
They owe you another battery.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
ABuck99

Oddometer: 462
If I am reading your post correctly, your battery a "BTZ14"-is a lead acid filled battery-(not maintenance free) dealer fills with acid which requires some charging after they fill these.

FYI- The BTZ14 is somewhat underrated in CCA performance for the 950- it barely meets minimum specification. OEM is a YTZ14 MF ( maintenance free)which is better quality( longer life) and more overall performance. If its a Bikemaster battery you purchased, there is a 6 month warranty, so return it- (and for the hassle of having to return since it was undercharged- consider asking them to upgrade you into a better battery and just pay the difference.)

If you do more than ride your 950 on the street, in fair weather, next time (next year or two) I would recommend at least the YTZ14 , or a YTZ equivalent in GEL- these hold static charge longer, and are less prone to failure from heat & vibration. They also do not leak when tipped on the side. The YTZ or Gel equivelant puts out 210CCA for around $150. Yes they are more than double the price what you just spent, but with batteries, you get what you pay for.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuck99 View Post
If I am reading your post correctly, your battery a "BTZ14"-is a lead acid filled battery-(not maintenance free) dealer fills with acid which requires some charging after they fill these.

FYI- The BTZ14 is somewhat underrated in CCA performance for the 950- it barely meets minimum specification. OEM is a YTZ14 MF ( maintenance free)which is better quality( longer life) and more overall performance. If its a Bikemaster battery you purchased, there is a 6 month warranty, so return it- (and for the hassle of having to return since it was undercharged- consider asking them to upgrade you into a better battery and just pay the difference.)

If you do more than ride your 950 on the street, in fair weather, next time (next year or two) I would recommend at least the YTZ14 , or a YTZ equivalent in GEL- these hold static charge longer, and are less prone to failure from heat & vibration. They also do not leak when tipped on the side. The YTZ or Gel equivelant puts out 210CCA for around $150. Yes they are more than double the price what you just spent, but with batteries, you get what you pay for.

Fyi: acid pack batteries are considered maintenance free (spill proof) after you activate and seal it with the plastic sleeve.

Yes, the YTZ14S high density MF battery is the best in the industry . . . But only if you get it within 4 months of its factory activation. They are all activated/charged at the factory . . . Then shipped to OEM's like KTM . . . . No telling how long they sit in a warehouse or dealer etc. Battery life depends on how long it sits idle and how hot the warehouse is etc. Heat kills batteries.

I have had new YTZ14S batteries that would not hold a charge . . .

I now prefer an acid pack battery that I can activate and charge myself . . . Then I know it is fresh!

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote