ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
BenDiesel OP
uBer n00b

Oddometer: 30
dirt to duel sport

so i have this 86 honda xr600r i tried selling to get a already legal ds, but no one wants to give me any thing near its worth. so i decided to keep it and go though the rigermarow to get it plated.

was wondering if any one had done this and if they had any sujestions? i already orderd the baja designs year specific light kit and a pair of kenda k270 tires front is a 3.25-21 and 5.10-17 rear. i have a endruo meter already on the bike and i talked to a local inspector he said it was ok as long as it had mph. i know i still need to get a dot legal front brake line. is there any thing else i should look at doing?

so i pulled her out today seens how it was nice to see if she still ran. she had been sittin for a year in the shop and started with relitive ease
http://youtu.be/_HxgPaCg6Y8

she vibrates bad. after the short ride round the yard my hads were still tingling. is this normal and is there any way to reduce them? im guessing she needs carb work to. she likes to pop when revving freely and when i let off the trottle under load. you can kinda hear it in the vid but the mic dosent pick it up well

BenDiesel screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 12:42 AM
BenDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
it's easier than you think

As long as you have the OE brake hoses you won't need to replace them. I had Lynwood Motoplex do my inspection. They only charged $50 and as long as you have a speedo, mirrors, dot tires, horn, turnsignals high / low beam and a rear fender mud guard that hangs down behind the rear tire you should be fine.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,123
There is no requirement for DOT tires or a speedo.
Tires can not say for off road only
However the inspector can require whatever components that they feel comfortable with,as long as they hit the min state requirements. Ive heard many stories of various shops requiring things that the state does not..
last week we licensed a cr500 and a kx100
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Thumpers thump. It's in their nature.

I find a good pair of riding gloves really help on my KTM 620.

As for the popping, she sounds rich. When's the last time you cleaned the air cleaner? Does it have stock exhaust? Have you changed the jetting?
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
OffRoadRuler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I recently completed an XR400, however I did not order the Baja designs kit, and ordered most parts individually and save about $200 over the Baja Designs kit.

As far as tires are concerned, be very careful with what you get. The state requirement doesn't mention much about tires, however the federal requirement does require DOT approved tires...I had a tire that did not say DOT on it, but it also didn't say not approved for highway use, and they rejected it during inspection.

Send me a message with your email address and I can send you a word doc with links to the individual components including the brake switches (I did front and rear) as well as an LED light for the rear license plate.
OffRoadRuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
BenDiesel OP
uBer n00b

thanks for the replys

gravityisnotmyfriend - yes the filter is dirty, its a foam type filter. it was poping like that with a clean filter to. its a stock exhaust as far as i know. im the third owner. the guy i got it from bought it off his buddy in cali and moved up here a while after and started a chain of restaurants. once he got up here he never road it so it sat in his garage fer bout 15 years. i got it in 08 for 600 bucks. he said it had mods but he didnt remember. so im guessing it might have some diff jets in the carbs. if i take the carbs apart to clean is there any thing else i can do to make a few more ponys? i remember some thing bout making it so both carbs opend at the same time? and i did some reading on the vibs. some one mentiond that some handle bars add weights to the end to help? cause it feels like i held a baseball bat wrong and hit a home run.

Cyclops Motorsports - rcw kinda dose say it in more words then necessary
http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistr...torcycles.html

OffRoadRuler - thanks for the offer i guess i should have posted here first. i already orderd the kit. i dont like wireing so this makes it easy for the first time conversion. if i decide i like it i may sell it and get a crf45x and convert that. the tires i ordered say dot approved on them so i should be good there.

thanks again keep the input coming. i think i may make a vblog when i get allot of the parts on how i do it. we will see.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,123
Cyclops Motorsports - rcw kinda dose say it in more words then necessary
http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistr...torcycles.html

I disagree.
But its your bike and whoever you have the inspection done by will dictate what you need.
Most, if not all the bikes we have inspected are for connecting FS trails. If you are actually riding the streets, then I also highly recommend DOT tires.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
bscman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
I had Skagit powersports pass my 96 XR400 last spring.

DOT marked rear tire (kenda trackmaster II) and an unmarked Pirellio scorpion pro front. They passed the LED's that were not DOT. They passed me WITHOUT a speedometer.

I used a combination of K&S, Tusk, some bits from radio shack, etc. Not including tires it ran me around $260. Bought the headlight used on ebay (baja designs) and used some bike bandit and rocky mountain coupons/points. Everything runs and charges at an idle, without having to upgrade the stator. I used a tiny SLA-1000 sealed lead acid battery that is smaller than a typical wallet, shoved under the seat with a homemade battery tray.

1 year later, no issues.
They charged $80 for the inspection, but I hear it is $100 now. I did not have to leave the bike....took maybe 30 minutes.

As for vibes...you can add a layer of foam under the seat cover.
You can also add weights inside the bar ends and/or fill them with silicone. It won't help much, but some. Try thicker, more street oriented grips as well....
bscman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Is there much difference in elevation between where the bike was originally jetted and where you are now? Of course if Everett is on the water, you're probably pretty close to sea level. If there's any difference, it'd have to be from a higher elevation - which would make it too lean at sea level.

Nevermind - just thinking out loud.

But yeah, if he's got it jetted too fat, it'll pop like that. And proper jets will make it run better and have more power - if it is jetted too rich.

Getting the carbs to open at the same time is called syncing them. I've done it on multicylinder, multicarb bikes, but never a single double like yours. The technique should be the same, though. Just search "carb synch" on youtube - that'll describe it better than I can.
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
Zwoehr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Honk if you demand satisfaction!

The equipment required will depend on the inspector. You should probalby just call the shop you want to do the inspection and ask them what they will require. I had Cyclops do my inspection and would highly recomend them to anyone else, very reasonable. Give Darryl a call and he will talk you though what you need.

Zwoehr screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 05:36 PM Reason: thought of a better title
Zwoehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,004
Are you sure it needs inspection? An 86 model may have a good title. Does it say off road only on the title?
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:55 AM   #12
BenDiesel OP
uBer n00b

thanks some more for the inputs.

yes it has a offroad only title. when i got the bike it had a cali title i had to transfer to a wa title. not that part matters but it says offroad only

great now i got to figure out how to jet the carbs lol.

any one near by who likes beer and steak wana do me a fav? ... lol
Old 04-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
BenDiesel OP
uBer n00b

tires came in today. should have the lights by Friday hopefully
Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
I can also recommend Darryl at Cyclops Motorsports. Super knowledgeable about the new law and a helpful enthusiast, not just a floor-salesman.

Show us some pics of your Honder! I had an '86 XL600 in the red white & blue paint scheme, I called it "the Dennis Quaid" after the dirt bike chase scene in Dreamscape. Freakin' 80s!

I really miss that bike sometimes. Wait.. no I don't.

81forest screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 07:35 PM
81forest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:06 AM   #15
BenDiesel OP
uBer n00b

picts? the least i can do for the advice i got so far :)

not the best pict but the only one i got currently upladed.
and the purdy new tires