User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
gvganser OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
High RPM

Just did my first carb rebuild. I took my time and made sure to only do on carb at a time and when I took a piece off I put it back the same way. I did o-rings, enricher gasket, needles, needle jets, floats, springs and diaphragms. It is a 1988 R100GS and the diaphragms are the type with the 4 screws to remove the top piece, not the press on kind. I also replaced choke and throttle cables. I used Snowbum's web site to assist me in this process and think I did all the steps and set up as prescribed.

Bike started fine. Choke worked. Light blip on the throttle and maybe RPMs didn't come back all the way down? After idling for a minute with the choke off I turned bike off to check air in the tires and restarted. Idle a little high but that is what adjustments after the ride are for.

Two easy miles into the warm up ride I come to my first stop... RPMs stay hung up about 3000 RPMs. Throttle control snaps back nicely on both sides. Choke is off. A gentle tug on each throttle cable at the carb causes RPMs to raise. Cables are seated the collars wolithout too much play...

Has anybody else had this happen and can tell me what I did wrong? Or at least know what direction to start?

I do not live where my bike is. So if I need check or adjust something physically it may take some time to come up and do that.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
gvganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
gvganser OP
Adventurer

After letting bike sit for 15 minutes to right that post, I started it up. Idling at about 1500 RPM and they dropped back to that after a slight and short rev. Don't know if this info is pertinent or helpful.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,781
This is why it is recommended to adjust your carbs following a ten mile testride.
20w-50 takes it's sweet time to fully warm up and will effect how much drag there is on the engine internals..
So, go for another ride and reset your carbs.

In case you haven't already done this, make sure your intake stubs are tight in the cylinder head. Easy way to do this is to make sure the engine side hose clamps are tight while the airbox side clamps are loose. Grasp the carb body and see if you can turn it around it's bore axis. If you can you need to either tighten the intake stub in the head or replace the rubber sleeves between the carb and the head.

If you're not running a stock airbox anymore, all bets are off. You may have to rejet to get the results you're looking for.
Kai Ju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
brocktoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
I had a similar problem recently after a carb rebuild. The culprit was found to be off-center butterfly valves, which let some air leak through. After rebuilding did you hold them up to a strong light and look through the carb body to check that no light was leaking through the when the valves were fully closed? Are you certain the valves were oriented properly on reassembly with respect to the beveled edges?
brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,987
It is time now for the adjustment and balance of the carbs. According to the Bing Manual these carbs should be the 64/32/357 & 358 carbs. Please verify these are indeed the numbers on your carbs?

According to the Bing Manual the starting position of the idle mix screw is 0.5 turns out.

Turn the idle speed screws down so you get a proper idle. After the ten minute ride try to adjust the mix screws. First one side then the other. Tuyrn screw in till the engine stumbles then out, it should run fine, till it stumbles again. the proper place for the idle mixture screw is halfway between these two positions. It is really a judgement call I think.

You are not allowed to remove the plug wires while the engine is running to gauge the balance of the cylinders. Some method of reading the vacuum or shutting off one side at a time is needed to properly balance the cylinders.

What method to achieve balance are you using?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
gvganser OP
Adventurer

I think it may be in the idol speed screws? I guess that I read it as turn until closed then turn in 1 and 1/2 turns. When the butterfly's come to a close the idol speed screw disengages the throttle lever at that point. Maybe I thought that because I couldn't see how disengaging the idol speed screw would then allow it to adjust the idol...

The idol mix screw is currently at 1/2 turn as recommended in the book. And once I am able to complete a ten mile ride I will be using a twin max carb balancer.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
gvganser OP
Adventurer

And yes. Those are the numbers that I have on the carbs.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,987
As mentioned by Brocktoon the butterfly plates must be centered in the throat of the carbs otherwise you will never get these carbs to balance or run right. Let's assume for now you don't have the throatle shaft/butterfly plate problem? That is if you know what this is in reference to?

It is a common problem for riders to get info about their carbs from a friend and so they adjust the mix screws to what ever their friend used on a completely different bike. So to begin you are using the correct start spot on the mixture screws.

The idle speed screws are the bigger screws that set the stop place of the throttle plate opening. At this point an even setting should be used. That is the same amount of opening per side. Hopefully this will give an even enough balance the bike can be ridden. What I do is try to find the exact spot the screw contacts the lever that moves the shaft. This will be the zero point. I then use One (1) turn in. If this is too low the 1 1/2 might work better. But it sounds like what ever you have tried so far is to far open. No mater what I say or any expert has written on this subject you still have to find what works.

The cable adjusters should also be preliminarily set by eye. Try to have some slack on each side. The same amount of slack is supposed to work but sometimes kinks in the lines effect this and what is needed more than the same amount of slack is that the cables start to work at the exact same moment.

I hope this helps with preliminary set up. Balance is not my favorite subject so I'll bow out for a bit.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
gvganser OP
Adventurer

Idle screws are at 1 and 1/2 turns. The cables have about 3 mm of play and the best I can tell via eyeball and feeling when each cable starts to turn vs throttle resistance...

Would the idle set screw allow it to run at 1300-1500 when cool and let it rise to 3000 as it starts to warm up? Could it be the diaphragms some how? I know that I put all the rubber in the right groves when installing them.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
190e
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
1 1/2 turns on the throttle stop screws sounds a lot to me.

Revs hanging up when it's carb related can be due to the throttle plates being so far open that they start to bring the transfer ports into play. The transfer ports are only supposed to flow during transition from idle as the throttle plate passes over them and creates the vacuum needed to pull the fuel mixture through. For this reason the object is always have the minimum possible throttle opening at idle.

1300 -1500 idle is way too high especially if the engine is cool. If you back of the throttle stop screws to a lower idle speed the problem will go away.

190e screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 03:53 PM
190e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
gvganser OP
Adventurer

Ok... I have my first mission. Turn back throttle stop screws and go from their. I appreciate the input and will let you know what happens...

May not get to it until Friday.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvganser View Post
Ok... I have my first mission. Turn back throttle stop screws and go from their. I appreciate the input and will let you know what happens...

May not get to it until Friday.
mmm..you rebuilt them but didn't set them up and tune them. Why should they work right? (and if they do, go buy a lottery ticket right now)

Why did you replace the floats?
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #13
gvganser OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
mmm..you rebuilt them but didn't set them up and tune them. Why should they work right? (and if they do, go buy a lottery ticket right now)

Why did you replace the floats?
Tune them?? What should I have done to tune them before mounting them back on the bike?

And I replaced the floats because the bike has 112,000 miles, they were greatly discolored and had not been replaced in about 70,000 miles.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #14
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvganser View Post
Tune them?? What should I have done to tune them before mounting them back on the bike?

And I replaced the floats because the bike has 112,000 miles, they were greatly discolored and had not been replaced in about 70,000 miles.
Not much. But while you have them in hand set the idle mixture and throttle idle stops to nominal values. For a regular tune up you do that on the bike. once mounted and the chokes hooked up, make sure off is off.

But once they're on the bike and it's running, you balance them. personally I do that starting from cold. You set valves cold and I use go/no-gauges so it's very accurate. With the valves done I go right on to the carbs. The oil viscosity changes very little with temperature (why it's a multi grade) and the valve settings change a bit as it heats up but it makes no difference to the balance. If the idle is a little off after a good ride and full warm up I just adjust it, both sides equally, wherever I am.

Should you have the carbs in hand again, put a smear of silicone around the bulgy place in the choke cover---at the seam. it's a weak spot and generally you do a killer glue job right there. But if you did or didn't, a little silicone is easy insurance and it's on the inside (faces block) so it doesn't show.

You replace floats if they're bad and discolored isn't bad. If one weighs more than the other (I don't have a spec but I'd say more than 10 grams), then replace both. Done's done and the only reason I mention it is because if you get in the habit of replacing things just because they have 70k on them or they seem discolored you will waste much time and effort that could be spent on things that will make a difference. Reading and research is high on that list followed by getting an air eraser and cleaning contacts and sprucing up the ignition. I don't even replace diaphragms, much less springs, unless they have a hole (I keep the new ones on hand and carry on longer trips). There are some spare things you want around, like a clutch cable, center stand spring, cable barrels, certain nuts and bolts...these are good places to put some cash. Also a stainless carb top screw kit and that goes in now with ample anti-sieze.

Anyway, you'll get it running fine. I'm not much of a fan of vacuum balancing but as long as you have the gear give it a go and see how it runs.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #15
gvganser OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the Info. So I guess I did tune them. As I stated earlier I set the mixture and idle stop screws and gave the amounts.