Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
TheHoff OP
Don't Hassle Him

Oddometer: 32
Question Old trials bike (TY250A) as beginner machine?

I'm looking for a bike to get a couple different people into riding (girlfriend and another buddy). Trying to do this on the cheap, too. A TY250A popped up in my area and seems like a reasonable option, thought I'd ask you fine folks about that bike!

It's a 1972 TY250A - dual shock frame, supposedly everything works PLUS it's titled/plated (Colorado is good that way). Even comes with a few extras- chain, sprockets, and a set of forks. Overall condition looks decent- normal paint blems, no major damage, all major systems functional.

Seems like it could make a fun little trail bike, a good learning device and maybe a fun little around town scoot. What do you guys think? What's a decent price?

Looks like parts are still reasonably available (did a quick look on ebay).

Thanks in advance!
TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
TXNMGUY
dirt dobber

Oddometer: 100
I do like the TY's. 1974 was the first year for the TY250A.

Check out this thread

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...d+headquarters
TXNMGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
TheHoff OP
Don't Hassle Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNMGUY View Post
I do like the TY's. 1974 was the first year for the TY250A.

Check out this thread

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...d+headquarters
Good to know regarding the year- I had concluded the same based on my research. The guy offering the bike listed it as 1972, but the pics look like a 1974 and I couldn't find any earlier models.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoff View Post
I'm looking for a bike to get a couple different people into riding (girlfriend and another buddy). Trying to do this on the cheap, too. A TY250A popped up in my area and seems like a reasonable option, thought I'd ask you fine folks about that bike!

It's a 1972 TY250A - dual shock frame, supposedly everything works PLUS it's titled/plated (Colorado is good that way). Even comes with a few extras- chain, sprockets, and a set of forks. Overall condition looks decent- normal paint blems, no major damage, all major systems functional.

Seems like it could make a fun little trail bike, a good learning device and maybe a fun little around town scoot. What do you guys think? What's a decent price?

Looks like parts are still reasonably available (did a quick look on ebay).

Thanks in advance!
No, no, no...they're no good! Run away, run away I say, run away!

So as to save you the heartache, please PM me the contact info. It's my mission to save the wary.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Old Geezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post

So as to save you the heartache, please PM me the contact info. It's my mission to save the wary.
Nothing but good deeds, lol

76 TY175
Whitehawk 80
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post

Ill just mention my "broken record" that using that as a starter bike is "ALMOST" the equivalent to using string to tie a rock to the bottom of a stick and joining your buddies at the golf course this weekend. Not quite that bad, maybe just finding (hell I still have them, in storage somewhere, we dont throw anything away, lol....) some 70's era Arnold Palmer K-Mart special golf clubs, and join your buddies with the new carbon fiber shafted and alloy "wood" clubs...

the clutch levers are hard, the bikes weigh about 40lbs more, the power and how it is applied is 30+ years old.

Mind you I have many old bikes, everything except a Sherpa-t and a Kawa-KT250. at any rate, riding those older bikes are completely different than trials as we know it "TODAY" as in this year... Changes are possibly coming I grant you that. But suspension, top heavy design, if he "masters" trials at all on that old bike, he'll kick ass as soon as he gets used to a modern trials bike.

That is imho. But, I agree with most everyone else, at least they will have fun on it.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Ill just mention my "broken record" that using that as a starter bike is "ALMOST" the equivalent to using string to tie a rock to the bottom of a stick and joining your buddies at the golf course this weekend. Not quite that bad, maybe just finding (hell I still have them, in storage somewhere, we dont throw anything away, lol....) some 70's era Arnold Palmer K-Mart special golf clubs, and join your buddies with the new carbon fiber shafted and alloy "wood" clubs...

the clutch levers are hard, the bikes weigh about 40lbs more, the power and how it is applied is 30+ years old.

Mind you I have many old bikes, everything except a Sherpa-t and a Kawa-KT250. at any rate, riding those older bikes are completely different than trials as we know it "TODAY" as in this year... Changes are possibly coming I grant you that. But suspension, top heavy design, if he "masters" trials at all on that old bike, he'll kick ass as soon as he gets used to a modern trials bike.

That is imho. But, I agree with most everyone else, at least they will have fun on it.
Is this my cue to disagree?

I think it'll make a fine starter bike. Certainly not competitive with a modern bike, but simple, cheap, easy to ride and lots of fun. Just don't expect it to be what it is not.

Best suggestion I can make is for you to go and ride and and see what you think...
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
TheHoff OP
Don't Hassle Him

Thanks for the info everyone. I now realize I didn't make it clear enough in my original post- this bike won't be used for trials riding necessarily (certainly not in any competitive sense). Mostly light duty trails or possibly some around town use for the girlfriend. Would I be better served by another bike?

This bike may be heavy compared to modern trials bikes, but compared to older dual sport bikes it's rather light weight. The reasonably light weight and low standover are appealing for teaching the girlfriend to ride. Other bikes I'm considering for the gf are things like older XL250s and such. She's a reasonably tall lady at 5'9" and certainly fit () so I think she could handle a 210lb mc just fine. She has a limited amount of experience on various dirtbikes from a youth spent in rural PA- on an early 80s xl250.

Additionally I would like to use it for short distance technical trail riding when I feel like a change from my XR400. Something neat to add to the ever-growing motorcycle stable.

Could someone 5'9" sit on this bike comfortably? It's hard to tell the scale of the thing from pictures. I plan on going to check it out this weekend and ride it around. It's currently in winter storage about an hour from where I live. I'm pretty stoked.

Anyone want to throw out a reasonable price they would pay for a decent condition runner? Not sure how to price this thing fairly. Thanks for reading!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Comparing it to dual sports is apples to oranges. The TY is not a dual sport even though it does have a headlight. Also you can trail ride on a trials bike but if that is all you are going to do there are better choices in my opinion.

I love the TY's but I wouldn't want one solely as a trail bike. That's just me though.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #10
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
Is this my cue to disagree?
it is very easy to disagree, if you don't see where I am working from, my realistic thoughts, that I probably cannot get expressed via Keyboard, though I keep trying...

I am going to keep being consistent on this thought, though. Nothing against the old bikes just hear me out, as I put down my thoughts, as to try to explain the "come join us, have a lotta fun" and the mentality of why I think you need to encourage with newer "old bikes" for TRIALS...

to some minor points, My point isn't so much that someone wont enjoy the hell out of that OLD TY (course by the time I post this OP will have admitted "not really for trials use" per se...)

My point is about human nature a little. if you show up to throw darts, for your 1st ever time, or maybe since you were a child... Everyone else at the bar is using really nice new-fangled darts, (sure not everyone but even house darts are nicer that the ones that come in the K-Mart dart setup...)

Why? Well because they "fly better" fact. you show up with your 70's vintage plastic body darts, you know like I'm able to be saying, I have some at the farm, still stuck in the dart board we toss at once a year... (FWIW, I have Nice NEW ones in glove box, along with a nice pool cue, in case the need arises...

So you are learning to "dart" and the techniques and nuances aren't really applicable on 90% scale, because of your rubberized plastic darts compared to new lightweight shafts, feathers that are more accurate, and weights that are moved around to help you with your style or maybe lack of it... you get your ass handed to you time and time again, but you're doing your thing, telling yourself "I do great considering I dont really have a dart that is what they got"... Especially today, I just don't see most people going on like that.

There's where you might not seek out darting, you don't have the equipment, to be fair, to be competitive, and keep having to buy all the beers? what I am trying to say is, there isn't that many people that get together friday (hell any night) with the "70's" darts competitions, where suddenly you're not handicapping your results, and you have more fun, it is closer to equal chances, abilities and all that. (YES, talking nuances, sure there will be 3 PEOPLE on this very forum, that swear they throw old darts better than new ones...)

Another one, will you have such fun, if your buddies are riding 2011 or newer 750cc Cafe racer type bikes, when you join them every month for "track days?" and ride your 70's 250 Honda SL twin? Well if there is a track full of similarly equipped riders, it is more fun, that is what I see day in... day out, year... after year...

I don't mean to just say twinshocks are bad news, they have competitions all around the world, with experienced riders competing on the old bikes they love. Not as many "newbs" imho, is all.

The goal is, to get people interested in trials. Let them get a taste of the accomplishments they can achieve with practice, thinking, and a little work. Last thing I think a new rider needs to discover is how much of a handicap that 70's era trails bike really is, just riding in the NOVICE classes {{or that Reflux (OJ)}}.

But MODERN Trials bikes, unlike how a factory ride like pro motocross riders are given to race each weekend, are given a huge advantage to what I can buy directly off the dealer's floor... Trials bikes, are mostly created mostly equally, for several years, like 6 or 7 (in gasgas's case) or 4 years, Just not 30... You cannot buy a win, or a speed part that makes you faster into turn4. you can have things that make you more comfortable, adjust easier, and weigh less, but more than anything, within 3 years on a gasgas model trials bike, they're same for you, me and anyone else.

Anywho, just worth a thought, of thinking how you feel, when your learning a sport, but are not only under experienced, but outclassed with suspension, brakes, center of gravity and all that? sure some of us are Hearty fellas, might not get discouraged, I know dad never thought there was any reason his 72 Suzuki TS 250 wasn't ever bit as good a bike as Wiltz Wagoner was riding in 72/73 (was it a Sherpa-t, or montessa in the early 70's???) that is, until someone (Wiltz) pointed it out, and then dad bought himself one... Eyes opened, but lessons can be forgotten.

Same thing recent years, in 1999 we still rode the sherpa-T's we'd had since 1980, his 76, me on my 79. I had NO idea my bike was sooo far behind, well a little I got to ride a 350 yamaha with monoshock for a second, in 98... BW, (youtube wasn't even a pipe dream yet).

Ive started people on 80's yamaha TY's but if you have someone in mind, Drum brakes and without some common mods to the pegs, and things, after about 3 months, the bike is holding most (under 60 years old) back... You are trying to create a buddy, that will want to "GO" and take the monthly trips to club events, I encourage you to help them find newer bikes, or least as close to new as what you have, you can find cheap enough?

Rant over, sorry too long. Probably still missing the point.

Sting32 screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 07:19 PM
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoff View Post
Could someone 5'9" sit on this bike comfortably?
No one can sit comfortably on a Trials bike.
The TY250 however, had the option of enduro footpegs and brake pedal from Yamaha. These make the bike much more comfortable for either sitting or standing.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
TheHoff OP
Don't Hassle Him

Thumb

Cool.

I appreciate all the input, though to be honest I stopped reading the bit about darts partway through (lost me). I've never used a bike like the TY before, so I really needed the guidance you all were able to provide. If the price is right I still may go take a look, but it would be an extra toy for myself.

I think in this case I'll be better served sticking to the original plan of finding used dual sport bikes for my girlfriend and another friend.

Wahoo! Question asked, diverse opinions offered, synthesis of information performed, answer developed. Forum success! It's like the scientific method, but for used motorcycle selection.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #13
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 735
Dual sport options.

Just my 2 cents but... A good option for a used dual sport price wise is the XT225's. Should be easy to find.

Also if you can find one I know a gal that has a gas gas pampera 250 and loves it, they are only 205lbs over the XT's 240lbs.

Lots of other options out there so good luck!
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #14
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
The TY250A is an ideal beginner fun bike, especially so if its the right price, which will probably mean a small profit if you choose to move on to something more competitive at some time in the future! Modern bikes in terms of build quality are very poor in comparison to the 39 yr old TY, and a used one if its been badly maintained can sometimes cost a lot of money to rectify.

Main advantage of an older bike though is that anyone who starts riding on one, will become a better rider far quicker than a beginner with a modern bike, who in most cases are way out out of their depth with anything other than a 125, with most invariably opting for 280/290/300cc bikes, which for beginners are a bit like a senior citizen using an F1 car to go shopping................
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:31 AM   #15
Growl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
ty250 as dual sport

I bought a ty250 brand new and got it plated. It was a great trail bike but I couldn't keep up with other riders in fast sections because the longer wheelbase bikes could fly over stuff that put the TY out of control. Slower was awesome however, go most anywhere. It was comfortable enough, I even toured a bit. BUT dangerous on the street because of the short wheelbase... I had a couple close calls, very scary close calls where a little more stability would have helped.

Growl screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 12:36 AM
Growl is offline   Reply With Quote