Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
freetors OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Inexpensive universal motorcycle shocks?

I recently received a 1980 Kawasaki KD80 for the low price of free. The bike is pretty rough looking but is mechanically good. The tank was completely rusted up on the inside, literally just furry, but it's been sitting with evaporust in it for nearly a week and its almost all gone. After a very thorough cleaning of all the dirt and varnish out of the carb and a little attention to the points its starts and runs well. Therefore I am doing a restoration of the bike. The problem is that the bike won't be worth much even after the bike has been all gone through. The shocks on the bike are junk; they're rusty and have absolutely no damping left.

These shocks are 12" long eye to eye. I would prefer to have shocks up to 13" long to raise the seat height a bit. Is there a good source for inexpensve shocks (<$100)? I've seen a lot of chinese shocks on ebay that look okay, but who knows if they are any better than what came off of there. I don't care if they are super duper ohlins quality, but I would at least like them to be functional shock absorbers, and not just pogo stick spring supports.

For instance something like this at $60 a pair. These are two short though and don't even have adjustable preload.

Or perhaps something like these which are $69 but also have a $65 shipping fee. They would probably work good enough for me and they would fit with the tricked out resto mod theme.

So any other places that you guys know of to get cheap shocks?
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,461
Try Ron's Cycle Land on Pine btw Sheridan and Memorial?
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
freetors OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Try Ron's Cycle Land on Pine btw Sheridan and Memorial?
You know one of these days I need to get down there...
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,642
JC Whitney

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/textsearch_result.jcw?sku=shock&shopid=100003
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
heliyardsale
Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer: 354
eBay tons of Chinese knock offs cheap!

Heli (Doc Mike)
heliyardsale is offline   Reply With Quote