aadal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Dane doing USA to Venezuela

Current position: Monteverde, Costa rica
Riding: Suzuki 650 v-strom 2007

Hi ADVriders
My name is Anders, I'm 35 and from Denmark
I will be doing the panamerican highway to Venezuela, and I will try to keep you guys informed in this post.
So to start from the beginning, why?
The simple reason being, not to sound morbid, is that I am a realistic man and know my time on this planet is limited, so I figured it would be a nice adventure to do before I died.
Well I've had this dream for quite some years now, and been saving vacation. So this year things came together, and I am able to do the trip :-)

Analysis phase:
Calculating $, seeking information here and on the hubb, asking silly questions to strangers online.
Design phase:
Getting concrete offers on bikes, making lists of gear and stuff, and making a budget.
Implementation:
Buying bike(Filling in Bill of sales, and making PoA), plane tickets, health insurance and what not.

So here I am, well started of my trip, with much help from a very friendly inmate Reid how helped me find a bike in Phoenix and got me on the road
Thank you Reid!

First days:
Took the plane from snowy Denmark to sunny Phoenix or so I thought, well planes got delayed in first hub Paris, so i ended up spending the night in Washington, when i finally arrived my luggage was missing, damn. Bike sellers wife was sick. I had hit the ground running so to speak, but fortunately I called Reid and everything seemed to work out, I stayed at his house, got the bike and all my gear from The Helmet Center, nice guys by the way.

!Tip for none US citizens
Registration of a bike in Arizona is really easy, I did it at Mail ++ W bell rd. On a Saturday and it took 15 mins and they didn't even want to see the bike.
Insurance might be a problem, because if you go buy the book, no major insurance company is willing to do short term policies, the way to go might be signing up for a year and then cancel, but we found a agency based in Florida Fernet.com that was able to do it for me, it took a scanner and 6 hour total cost about 120$ for a 30 day liability insurance.

Ready to roll

aadal screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 09:01 AM
aadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
aadal OP
Adventurer

On the road

Making my first big trip on the bike from Phoenix to Grand canyon it was 12:00 when I left heading for Wickenberg as Reid had recommend the ride from there over Jerome and Prescott to Sedona, and what a ride! nice mountain roads with lots of curves good place to get to know my v-strom ;-)

After that Flagstaff as i got north of the city I started getting cold but thought hey might me to little sleep and not enough food untill i saw the altitude sign 8000 feet and snow on the side of the road. But I pressed on and hugged the engine for warmth, no time for putting on thermo lining(wich in retrospect might have been 5 mins well spent). The night was falling and wanted to get to Gran Canyoun before the park closed, too late, but got in for free. But I was meet with a sign at the Matter Campground saying "No sites available" So I asked the next car comming up if my 1½ person tent could fit on their spot, and the said yes, saved yet again. Suffering from hypothermia I got the tent up and jumped in my sleepingbag, 3 hours of shaking later I was asleep.

Next day no riding but alot of walking(8 miles on Bright Angle Trail) and picture taking, night came but this night I was prepared for the night cold of the plateau. Beer, firewood and smokes, bring it on!

Route:
From Phoenix to Grand Canyon

aadal screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 08:37 PM
Old 04-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
mart´n
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Subscribed!

Always nice to follow a danish brother abroad! - especially on a v-strom

Have a safe trip, looking forward to your updates.

Ps: Jeg har lige kørt NØJAGTIG samme rute til Grand Canyon - Jerome, Prescott og Sedona for et par uger siden i bil, lille verden!
Kommer du forbi Jerome igen engang, kan jeg anbefale at besøge ghosttown, som ligger en lille km bagved den lokale brandstation. Masser af gamle biler og mc´er, og en meget flink gammel ejer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcN3wIuD9Tc
Old 04-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
aadal OP
Adventurer

To Las Vegas

Heading for Vegas
Got up at 6 and packed my stuff, was heading for Vegas baby! the road was pretty boring, so I took a turn onto hw 66 to see if it was more interesting than the interstate, but no, and even worse got behind what i thought was a cop car and had to do 65, wich by the way only seems like a rule of thumb here in US most people do +10 mph.

North of Kingman before Hover dam the road stared getting more better with curves and view of the Colorado river. Got to the dam took pictures and on to vegas. Checked inn and went for the pool 5 pm and ready to go! went up the strip and after 3 hours of awe it’s amazing how lonely and bored you can get among so many people. Went downtown, saw Freemont street and went back to have a goodnight gamble and I actually struck gold, me and Vegas was now even.
Now of to sleep, riding is a better kick than gambling for me.

Rute: Grand Canyon to Las Vegas
Old 04-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
aadal OP
Adventurer

Robbed while sleeping in Hostel

Well I guess I was at the wrong Hostel at the wrong time :-(
Here in Guanajato.. used most of the day in police station and calling insurance.
Damn!
Well bike and I are intact but for now no photos, will have to find at camera somewhere.
And if anyone has a unlocked HTC desire S of simmilar on my way south I might wanna buy it because I had my GPS on phone :S
Even better any danes going to southern part of Mexico or Guatemala the comming weeks!? :)
Old 04-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,269
Well that sucks.

Did you leave stuff on the bike or did your room get raided while you were asleep? I remember someone in our group getting robbed while asleep when we were in France.

For Mexico conversation, advice, and recommendations you should have dropped in on the Is Mexico Safe thread.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
aadal OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Well that sucks.

Did you leave stuff on the bike or did your room get raided while you were asleep? I remember someone in our group getting robbed while asleep when we were in France.

For Mexico conversation, advice, and recommendations you should have dropped in on the Is Mexico Safe thread.
Room raid when I was asleep. Tonight i'm sleeping with the key to the cabinet in my ass!
Yes I read some post in that on, but have had no problems untill today, and as you mentioned this could have happened any place in the world.
But hey he left me alive and with bike = all good, material stuff can be reclaimed in time.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
aadal OP
Adventurer

Warning : Honduras suck

Hi Just went the southern route in Honduras yesterday, all in all it cost me 300$ due to falling into "helper" trap and bogus fines. In the end I had to flee from Honduras corrupt cops over the bridge to Nicuragua.
Be aware DO NOT EVEN SPEAK TO HELPERS or let then show you where to take copies they will grab you temp permit and not give it back untill you pay all sort of crap AND they will have you surrounded by 3 "friends" at all time.
Also if they find ANYTING in you papers that they find illigal they will charge you for "bribe" eventhough you do not ask for this.
I hate to hate Honduras because of this but i will never return to that nightmare of a place.
The 1m deep potholes is infact the least of your troubles in Honduras...

The only good thing is I lived to tell the tale, eventhough I had a chat with chef of police at Somotillo he ment "We have a serious problem" it seemed like a grim situation. but it gave a hell of an adrenalin kick speeding of from an distacted corrupt cop, wich didn't realize he only had kopies I didn't need.
But i wich for everyone else they have a better experience in Honduras.

aadal screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 03:49 PM
Old 05-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadal View Post

Well I guess I was at the wrong Hostel at the wrong time :-(
Here in Guanajato.. used most of the day in police station and calling insurance.
Damn!
Well bike and I are intact but for now no photos, will have to find at camera somewhere.
And if anyone has a unlocked HTC desire S of simmilar on my way south I might wanna buy it because I had my GPS on phone :S
Even better any danes going to southern part of Mexico or Guatemala the comming weeks!? :)
That sucks, but there are no adventures without ups and downs. You will be right on track soon, keep it up man!!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Looking forward to your report. Is there any particular reason why you want to finish in Venezuela? Most people who go through the trouble of crossing Darien Gap go all the way South.

Be careful at hostels. They are often in the crappy parts of towns and all the scummy locals hang out in these areas. In Bogota, there were several armed invasions of hostels when I was there.

But it's not just the bad locals you have to look out for. There are plenty of fellow hostelers that are more than happy to take your stuff too when you are not watching.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
aadal OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
Looking forward to your report. Is there any particular reason why you want to finish in Venezuela? Most people who go through the trouble of crossing Darien Gap go all the way South.

Be careful at hostels. They are often in the crappy parts of towns and all the scummy locals hang out in these areas. In Bogota, there were several armed invasions of hostels when I was there.

But it's not just the bad locals you have to look out for. There are plenty of fellow hostelers that are more than happy to take your stuff too when you are not watching.
Yes I have friends an family in Venezuela, so no hostels for me and I have no more time.. I would have loved to go all the way to Argentina.
but as to hostels in Merida, Venezuela they where pretty ok when I stayed there.