User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
centdukesfan OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
indicator lights

Debating on getting a new speedo or not. I might just run without the speedo, but id still like to have an instrument cluster with indicator lights to monitor the generator and oil pressure. Anyone ever tried doing this without the speedo/tach?
centdukesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
some_guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by centdukesfan View Post
Debating on getting a new speedo or not. I might just run without the speedo, but id still like to have an instrument cluster with indicator lights to monitor the generator and oil pressure. Anyone ever tried doing this without the speedo/tach?

I did the generator light separate from my Acewell. Should be easy enough to do the rest. Get a color wiring diagram and go nuts. This would probably be a lot easier on a newer bike than an older one though...
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by centdukesfan View Post
You need the generator light, or wire around it with a resistor) to make power.

Bicycle speedos work and they're tiny. Can save your license.

The oil pressure switch is a simple grounding type. Pressure drops and it grounds out lighting the bulb. usually by this time you are in trouble. That's why they call them idiot lights. Fit one that triggers at higher pressure. I use a regular pressure gauge.

In the interest of being kewl you can rip off and throw away anything you like. You just have to keep the generator circuit intact somehow.

if I don't see a speedo or tach I recognize a bike that is ridden slowly. Good for cruising main on friday nights...if you're going to get sporting...

Even the most hard core and minimalist of choppers fit a speedo.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #4
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post

Even the most hard core and minimalist of choppers fit a speedo.
That's not even kind of true unless the guy can't ride in that state without one. And maybe even then.

Come to think of it I can't remember a single hard core minimalist chopper that had a speedo. I've seen tiny tachs down by the cases.. Hm. I think maybe we have different paradigms.

...you're totally right about riding slower without one though. 100% true. I have had a speedo on one bike and one joke only, and when I took it off to r&r it, I went into paranoia granny mode.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kt-88 View Post
That's not even kind of true unless the guy can't ride in that state without one. And maybe even then.

Come to think of it I can't remember a single hard core minimalist chopper that had a speedo. I've seen tiny tachs down by the cases.. Hm. I think maybe we have different paradigms.

...you're totally right about riding slower without one though. 100% true. I have had a speedo on one bike and one joke only, and when I took it off to r&r it, I went into paranoia granny mode.
this could be.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,195
This is what I built for my project. LEDs from radioscrap mounted in aluminum angle. L > R: generator, left turn, dip, right turn, OP. Built in resistor was sufficient for charging system function (sorry, can't remember resistance on package, it's been awhile). Sorry for the crappy pic quality, it's cropped from a much larger photo.

Had a hard time not installing a MUCH larger OP light since I spent a bit of time racing cars and they like to use things that really get your attention for that!

Old 04-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
Sabre170
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Here is what I did. I got this remake of an old style BMW speedo. It didn't come with a mounting cup, however, I discovered it was just the right size to fit into a thermos cup (with just a bit of modification to the thermos cup. Put together a mounting bracket with parts from Ace Hardware for like $3.

With me chopping my old speedo/tachometer cluster, I lost all my indicator lights, but still wanted to keep them. Since I put clip-on on the bike, and removed the speedo cluster, I now had a bunch of little holes in my triple tree top. I found a series of lights (made for a Harley none the less and cost about $6 a piece) that fit perfectly into those holes and they were made for motorcycles (I.e. high beam symbol, oil can light, neutral symbol light, turn arrows, ect). Re-wired the whole setup, and IMO, turned out nice. (Note, in the photo, the lights were so bright that the camera couldn't make out the symbols....just looks like colored lights, but it is in fact little symbol lights)

Sabre170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
some_guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre170 View Post
Here is what I did.
I was looking for this exact image to post the other day. You did a good job with this.
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
Sabre170
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Thanks! It was supprisingly "plug and play". The most time consuming part was finding those lights online. Haha!

With the color coded wires, soldering was a snap!
Sabre170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
boxerkuh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I like "one-off, custom" applications. I am only running 2 idiot lights (oil pressure and neutral light), have a resistor in the generator light. I mounted a seperate bicycle speedo and a seperate voltmeter on the handlebar. Small, custom, one off. Works for me. Radio shack does have what you need. Options are available, depends on your creativity and the look that you like!!!!!!!
boxerkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,706
I use DelCity for electrical stuff... they have more than you can imagine... literally!

This LED indicator light comes in red, amber, green and blue, and costs less than $3 each: