Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Hnasty OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Talking Which GPS for eurotrip?

Hi guys, first post here. I'm gonna be doing a trip to europe this summer (Germany, Switzerland, Italy) doing quite a bit of riding in the alps. I want to buy a GPS unit but I'm not sure about which one. Zumo seems to be the obv choice but it's a bit pricey.

This is what I need from the unit
1. I want to be able to create custom routes in google maps and export them on to the unit and then have it give me turn by turn directions for that route.

2. Bluetooth to my helmet com system would be nice

3. Have it not mess up my routes and try to auto calculate better ways etc..

4. Have enough battery life to last the day, I'll be on rental bikes and not sure if I'll be able to hard wire power to the unit.
I'm not too concerned about weather proofing or ruggedness. What would you guys recommend? The cheaper the better :)
Hnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
Muug
Muug

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnasty View Post
Hi guys, first post here. I'm gonna be doing a trip to europe this summer (Germany, Switzerland, Italy) doing quite a bit of riding in the alps. I want to buy a GPS unit but I'm not sure about which one. Zumo seems to be the obv choice but it's a bit pricey.

This is what I need from the unit
1. I want to be able to create custom routes in google maps and export them on to the unit and then have it give me turn by turn directions for that route.

2. Bluetooth to my helmet com system would be nice

3. Have it not mess up my routes and try to auto calculate better ways etc..

4. Have enough battery life to last the day, I'll be on rental bikes and not sure if I'll be able to hard wire power to the unit.
I'm not too concerned about weather proofing or ruggedness. What would you guys recommend? The cheaper the better :)
You want everything but you don't want to pay the price? Then you won't find what you want.

Go for a topmodel, and you won't regret it. Moreover, only those expensive models can do everything that you have in mind, I'm afraid.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,035
I use a Nuvi 550 for Euro-tours
no bluetooth, but waterproof.
load routes onto it with Mapsource
it will auto recalc if you get off route, but if you just reload the route & when it asks "navigate to beginning?" say no. good to go.
cheap too.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
I'm still a big fan of garmin handheld units. Not sure what the latest is... but with my old eTrex I can load a custom route with mapsource, tell it not to recalculate, and follow it all day long. Batteries last a VERY long time (30 hours on 2 AA's) and they are waterproof, easy to read in the sun, and tough. The downside is the screens are usually much smaller...
Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
drrod1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEALED-NEW-T...item4d08f7ade4

Does everything you want, with the exception of battery life (can be quite varirable but will NOT last all day). That being said, any bike I have rented there has some sort of power outlet with which to power the GPS while on the biike. Contact rental outfit and find out what kind.

Atvantage of the TT920 is that it comes preloaded with Europe maps which can be expensive if you have to buy separately. You can use TYRE to create routes and load them onto the unit. It utilizes Google maps.
http://www.tyretotravel.com/

Although not perfect (what gps is??) the TT920 has worked well for me on several Europe trips.

Rod
drrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Hnasty OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrod1 View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEALED-NEW-T...item4d08f7ade4

Does everything you want, with the exception of battery life (can be quite varirable but will NOT last all day). That being said, any bike I have rented there has some sort of power outlet with which to power the GPS while on the biike. Contact rental outfit and find out what kind.

Atvantage of the TT920 is that it comes preloaded with Europe maps which can be expensive if you have to buy separately. You can use TYRE to create routes and load them onto the unit. It utilizes Google maps.
http://www.tyretotravel.com/

Although not perfect (what gps is??) the TT920 has worked well for me on several Europe trips.

Rod
Gonna do some research on this one, never heard of it before. Thanks rod.
Hnasty is offline   Reply With Quote