User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
ndirienzo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Georgia to California, with a whole lot of Colorado

I'm not on the west coast yet, but working my way there. I was posting on BARF a bit more along the way, and figured this would be appreciated here.

Anyway, my wife and I moved from Davis, CA to Athens, GA last year for her postdoc. Well, she got a job right back at UCD, so we're moving back. The worst part is that I have to ride my motorcycle cross country[/sarcasm]. The timing was perfect as I have a conference in Boulder this week. I got here a few days early to do some riding and hang out. I'll be heading back on through to Davis on August 2nd. Anyway, here are some pictures from along the way.

Day 1 I rode 1000 miles. The sun was setting over the Flint Hills in Manhattan, KS just as I was rolling in. Not a fan of KS as a whole, but there are some nice bits!

Did it in 18.5 hours

So, I stopped by this frat house I stayed in for a summer. I was an undergrad research student at KSU a while back, and they put us up here in instead of the dorms because we needed more flexible housing. Well, I found out the research students no longer stay in this terrible place because one of the idiot frat guys acquired a 5lb jar of mercury, and proceeded to drop it in one of the rooms. His solution was to tape off the door and vents and not tell anyone. Well, eventually one of the research students found mercury in their room, the FD was called, who then called a hazmat team, who promptly found out everyone and everything in the house was contaminated. This was the last straw with them dealing with the frat guys, and the school was forced to find the research students alternative housing. The worst we had to deal with when staying there was a room full of dog shit and brown recluses. Seems like we had it easy!

I knocked out 600 miles the next day to get me to. I spend the night in Ft. Collins, where I hit up New Belgium and Equinox Brewing, along with another great beer bar.

The easy way to get to Boulder from Ft. Collins would have been to slab it 30ish miles south. Instead I took a loop up through Rocky Mountain National Park. A nice 200 mile ride

The route

On highway 40 on the way down from Winter Park. What a fun road.

More beer! A local bar here has a great happy hour. 12 fantastic microbrews for $2.25. Had a few there, then went on to Avery Brewing, and then Upslope Brewing

Today I did another hundred miles up in the Rockies on Peak to Peak road.

Perfect!
ndirienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
ndirienzo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
The other day I rode Mt. Evans. My conference started yesterday, so these are my last ride photos for a while.

The roads were pretty wet on the way up

So many switchbacks near the top. It was interesting navigating them at 14,000 feet when your bike really wants to stall!

A rather curious marmot

Clearly a bit habituated and probably gets fed quite often by people stopping to take pictures

Pika!

Hugging the mountain

After getting through the cloud layer I got to this

My Tiger enjoying the view

Here's a pano I stitched together

ndirienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
roaming_art
KLR 685, 2009

Oddometer: 162
Great pics man! And I'm sure jealous of your ride! Good on you for taking advantage of this opportunity.
No lazy, sun-kissed life was this, with nothing to do but loaf and be bored. Here was neither peace, nor rest, nor a moment's safety. All was confusion and action, and every moment life and limb were in peril. - Jack London
roaming_art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Cyclenaut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Cool pics.....

- John Steinbeck
Cyclenaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 562