User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
FoxbaT73 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Smart places to keep your tire levers

I have two (long) tire levers wich i store in a tank bag on my 1150GSA during long trips.
Because i can use the space in the tank bag for other stuff, and because i want the heavier parts/tools as low on the bike as possible, i thought it might be an idea to attach the tire levers somewhere on the skid plate of my bike, but i don't want to drill holes in the levers.. Any ideas?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday

Oddometer: 2,474
Zip tie them to a bit of the frame somewhere perhaps.

I have mine in a tool tube. The weight quite negligible. I carry a 1/4 drive socket set and tool roll of wrenches that are positioned higher on the bike and it's never a concern.

The extra portion of dinner and dessert I had the night before would weigh lots more than my tire levers....

(I don't miss many meals)

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
FoxbaT73 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Of course the weight of only some tire levers is not so much, but together with al other tools and spareparts, it adds up..(going to make a long trip from Amsterdam to the Northcape, 6000 miles)
Maybe there are universal tire lever clamps/brackets available somewhere?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
RDT953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Small diameter tool tube

I made a small diameter tool tube out of PVC pipe with a blank cap on one end and a screw cap on the other, the diameter is just enough for the 3 levers wrapped in a rag so that they don't rattle about. I used metal clamps to fix it to the front of the bash plate on the upper edge. Sorry I'm not home where my bike is until later this month so can't load a pic for you.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
My buddy did the exact same thing on his KLR. He used one of those agricultural equipment manual holders with the screw on lid, and he stashed his tire repair kit and other peripherals in there. The whole thing got bolted onto the top edge of his bash plate and never gave him grief afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT953 View Post
I made a small diameter tool tube out of PVC pipe with a blank cap on one end and a screw cap on the other, the diameter is just enough for the 3 levers wrapped in a rag so that they don't rattle about. I used metal clamps to fix it to the front of the bash plate on the upper edge. Sorry I'm not home where my bike is until later this month so can't load a pic for you.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob

Oddometer: 126
Why carry tire levers?

Why am I checking out this thread? Last weekend the fun ended as I came off a trail and hit the street. I picked up a nail and the tubed tire went down in a micro second. Glad I was out to the street as it was bone yard rocky sections and hills to get out to the street. I thought about what I would do if I had a flat in the woods. Destroy my rim riding it out?
Time to pack some irons and spare tubes and/or patch kit.

Been riding for over 30 years and never had a flat. I guess statistics caught up to me. A buddy the next town over came to the rescue with his trailer.

2000 Ducati 996S - Madness
2014 H-D Breakout - Nothing like a big scooter to relax a bit
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,681
I keep mine (along with a gutted slime air compressor and patch kit) in a welding rod keeper tool tube mounted to the front of the skid plate.

I once managed to store one inside the actual tire . . . . . that was not at all handy.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
I once managed to store one inside the actual tire . . . . . that was not at all handy.
man that sucks...

I ended up with a pair of needle nose pliers in my rear tire one day while turning around at a dead end boat ramp. Lucky me, I was only five miles from the house. It was a long walk in leathers and road boots...

I never thought about any tire tools until I found a dualsport.