Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #226
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
The statement is, technically correct. Mechanical Engineers assure me that applying rear brake applies torque to the swingarm that compresses the shock and lowers the rear of the bike.

That said, I'm surprised if it's actually MSF accepted practice to go there with BRC students; anyone (Slartidbartfast?) care to comment?
It's not stated in the curriculum so no, I wouldn't go there with noobs. If more advanced students wanted to discuss it because they had heard it elsewhere, then I would still probably only discuss it with them and not with the entire class.
Quote:
Again, I'd like to hear commentary from other current RCs...
And the problem is? (The reason is they need to learn where it is, and they don't have to let go of anything to do it.)

They're teaching friggin' beginners, dude. It might not be important to you, me, or anyone else reading this, but it sure makes the n00bs feel better. Don't believe me, come on over, I'll put a new rider on a bike that's too tall and I'll let you help them pick it up the first dozen times.
IIRC BRC curriculum does NOT require you should be able to flat-foot the training bike, but it sure is a good idea when teaching someone who hasn't ridden before and you'd be pretty stupid to deliberately put someone onto a bike where they couldn't reach the ground. Your typical overweight middle-aged female has more than enough trouble with a 250 rebel. I can't imagine putting them on a tall bike. That said, I have had some good students who were sufficiently "altitude challenged" to have to tip-toe a nighthawk but wanted to ride a "proper bike" instead of a cruiser style. They are usually NOT the ones that have trouble anyway.
Quote:
You appear to suffer under the common delusion that the BRC was ever meant to be the end-all be-all of motorcycle safety. It's not- it's supposed to be just enough knowledge and skill to get out and learn more on their own. This is why I when it's compared to other places.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #227
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
The statement is, technically correct. Mechanical Engineers assure me that applying rear brake applies torque to the swingarm that compresses the shock and lowers the rear of the bike.
Mmm. Loved my engineering dynamics text book back when I was working on my mechanical engineering degree. Showed absolutely positively why and how a wheelie on a motorcycle is a physical impossibility. I found it laughable, the rest of the class took it as gospel.

Teaching students to delay using 70-80% of their braking, in the name of safety, is appalling, imo.

And for the record the claim wasn't applying the rear brake lowers the tail. The claim is that applying the rear brake first reduces the nose diving you get when applying the front brake. A claim I do not agree with. Simplly put, X amount of braking force on the front wheel imparts Y amount of force along the coil springs of the fork tubes, which results in Z amount of compression of those springs. Regardless of the rear braking activity. Physics 101.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #228
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,563
Had to lay er down!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #229
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 795
The only time I would use this phrase, would be while I was talking to someone about their mom.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #230
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
The only time I would use this phrase, would be while I was talking to someone about their mom.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #231
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Mmm. Loved my engineering dynamics text book back when I was working on my mechanical engineering degree. Showed absolutely positively why and how a wheelie on a motorcycle is a physical impossibility. I found it laughable, the rest of the class took it as gospel.

Teaching students to delay using 70-80% of their braking, in the name of safety, is appalling, imo.

And for the record the claim wasn't applying the rear brake lowers the tail. The claim is that applying the rear brake first reduces the nose diving you get when applying the front brake. A claim I do not agree with. Simplly put, X amount of braking force on the front wheel imparts Y amount of force along the coil springs of the fork tubes, which results in Z amount of compression of those springs. Regardless of the rear braking activity. Physics 101.
Applying the rear slightly before the front helps settle the bike and prevent some of the dive towards the front. It works, try it.... at least on all bikes I've ridden. One potential variable is they were all chain drive so I can't speak on shaft or belt drive. Another is that I've never had linked brakes or abs - YMMV.

The detail I think you're missing is that the front does not work completely separate from the rear. One part of the system affects how the rest of the system responds.

Other than that, its interesting how your class says you can't wheelie a motorcycle and that's bs... but physics 101 says braking on front and rear are completely separate with no interaction and this is gospel.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #232
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconx84 View Post
One potential variable is they were all chain drive so I can't speak on shaft or belt drive.
My monolever BMW works this way.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #233
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,854

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #234
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 706
vs.

Does the Wolf use his front brakes?

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #235
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
Does the Wolf use his front brakes?
Well, the Wolf seems to have the same black half helmet and Marlon Brando jacket as the "Sheep."

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #236
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Well, the Wolf seems to have the same black half helmet and Marlon Brando jacket as the "Sheep."
They don't stray to far from the pack.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #237
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post

Ahem...

A Wolf in Sheep's clothing, perhaps?

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:38 AM   #238
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,440
Yep.

And Mr Wolf Biker has the Pirate Scowl down pat, too.

--Bill
Old 04-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #239
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Yep.

And Mr Wolf Biker has the Pirate Scowl down pat, too.

--Bill
Oh look, a Texas Aggie erotic dream!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #240
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,759
Damn, I didn't have my camera or cell phone but a guy and I rode a bit up Highway 143 East of Robbinsville,NC to drag a Harley back on the road with his Jeep. The bike was only down the side of the hill a little bit so it was a no big deal with little damage except a bent up crash bar,etc. The little pirate guy was shaken up but able to ride his Hog away.

Anyway, he said he must have hit a rock and had to lay er down.
No sign of any rocks, just a normal curve on a clean asphalt road.
2014 Sky Team ST125-8A monkey bike
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P monkey sidecar
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote