Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #436
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Once again you respond to a post of mine, you never learn, do you? I guess your dislexia extends into your thinking as well!

Post all the drivel you want, but do NOT post to me at all!

Jim
no jimmy I thought you might get a laugh out of my stupidity

I thought we could have a laugh

I was not looking for your post

just saw it

anyway I should know better by now

lighten up buddy

this is not the McCoy's and the Hatfield's

anyway sorry

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #437
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
You should probably spell "dyslexia" correctly when using it as an insult.
Piss off!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #438
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Piss off!

Jim
What has got into you this eve Jim? You seem exceptionally tetchy. Time to sit down with a cool beer I think.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #439
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
What has got into you this eve Jim? You seem exceptionally tetchy. Time to sit down with a cool beer I think.
To be honest, it is Anorak who never fails to make a smart ass comment to me, and Fallingoff who refuses to honor his agreement to not respond to my posts. I am tired of both of their shit if you want to know.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #440
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
To be honest, it is Anorak who never fails to make a smart ass comment to me, and Fallingoff who refuses to honor his agreement to not respond to my posts. I am tired of both of their shit if you want to know.

Jim
jimmy I never made that agreement

you just made a thing

now I was just trying to be friendly

ie bury the hatchet

still too early

hope you have a good weekend

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #441
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I had a friend of mine return to riding after a bit of a break. He had an old old 440 cc (?) Kwak of some sort years ago as an A.F. serviceman, but having greatly prospered lately, he decided nothing but an H-D would do. My initial comments that maybe he needs to get a 250 cc or at most, something like a KLR or Versys to return were shut down hard by him.

No, he needed that H-D to show his prosperity and his 'custom' style.

It took him maybe 3 months of pain before his body could tolerate more than 50 miles of that idiotic 'clamshell' riding position which H-D riders think is so cool. Oh, and in those 3 months he had maybe 8 slow speed falls including the classic where he went to pick the bike up and it over balanced so he ended up with it toppled onto the other side and him on top.

Figuring to bond with his now slightly ragged but still new H-D he embarked on a 200 mile trip which needed liberal doses of both aspirin and breaks to complete. After a bit of a struggle, he made it to a beach resort where the H-D's were on parade.

To fit in, he bought a shorty helmet and joined in the cruise for a day or two reveling his membership in this styling club. After a bit, worked called so he set off for the 200 miles homeward bound.

However, by this time, the fatigue had built up him him so his reflexes weren't what they should have been. Finding himself needing to stop fairly hard to avoid making a groove in a Yukon XL, he lost it and ended up under his bike which itself was under the Yukon XL.

He gave me a call while sitting in the ambulance and actually said, in a put on cowboy drawl, "I had to lay 'er down." Note, he did not say "lay it" or "lay her" but the real "lay 'er".

I need to ask this group. Is there an H-D school where these riders learn this phrase and the logic that they didn't really fall due to losing control of one's bike but instead heroically sacrificed himself and his bike to save the Yukon? Or what?

Anyway, I didn't let him get away with this and drilled into him what happened in the crash. I did he feel the rear swing out? He finally admited that he did feel that swing. I explained what caused him to crash (locked rear wheel released to high side him) and now he agrees that he didn't intentionally "lay 'er down" but lost control of his bike due to lack of ABS and poor riding technique.

Still, where does this crap come from? How many riders have crashed like this and then, instead of learning to brake and/or get an ABS bike, figure that they did the best they could by "laying 'er down".

Good grief.
maybe you guys have little dirt experience, i went off the front of a hodaka racing mx, and that was my last highside.
i figured over 20 years of dirt, i crashed weekly, possibly a thousand notches on my crutches.
that's what layin er down is about, slide into the best turf available.
i did go off the front again, i hit a hay bale on a dusty start, target fixation.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #442
slide OP
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by willis 2000 View Post
maybe you guys have little dirt experience, i went off the front of a hodaka racing mx, and that was my last highside.
i figured over 20 years of dirt, i crashed weekly, possibly a thousand notches on my crutches.
that's what layin er down is about, slide into the best turf available.
i did go off the front again, i hit a hay bale on a dusty start, target fixation.
You guys? He crashed. I was miles away.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #443
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
'N loud pipes save lives!

Old 02-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #444
Der Kaiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Laid Her Down (Loud Pipes and All)!

I love it - great post. I always suspected that there was a strong inverse correlation between the length of your mullet and said mullet wearer's IQ -- now we have the proof.

Kent
Der Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:29 AM   #445
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoboy View Post
'n loud pipes save lives!

^sfb.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #446
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
He gave me a call while sitting in the ambulance and actually said, in a put on cowboy drawl, "I had to lay 'er down." Note, he did not say "lay it" or "lay her" but the real "lay 'er".
Most Harleys are bought by people who really don't belong on a motorcycle. Makes all of us look bad.
MotorcycleWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #447
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
I love it - great post. I always suspected that there was a strong inverse correlation between the length of your mullet and said mullet wearer's IQ -- now we have the proof.

Kent
I live in "Mullet Central" and I can confirm the scientific, statistical validity of your thesis: there is a nearly perfect inverse correlation between the length of one's mullet and said mullet wearer's IQ.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #448
easyrider88
POsIng PrO

Oddometer: 282
really

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
Most Harleys are bought by people who really don't belong on a motorcycle. Makes all of us look bad.
i disagree.some harleys are bought by people who dont belong on a motorcycle.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #449
TxRoadDog
SHOVELS AND EVOS

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
Oh well...

My front dual disks get plenty of usage...
1996 Harley Davidson FXDS, V-Thunder 3010, Torrington B-138, Hylift Johnson Lifters, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, V&H Competition Drag pipes, Jagg Oil Cooler, Santee XLX Low rise Bars, J&P Antique style grips, 13" FXDX Shocks, Shimmed and PVC'd front forks with 20w oil.
TxRoadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #450
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 566
There are a lot of responses and comments here about:
"how can you say all crashes can be avoided"
"you guys must be perfect riders in a perfect world"
"what about the guy that rear ended me"
"what about truck tires coming across the centerline"

and many others. Truth is not all crashes can be avoided. Some crashes really are instances of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, doing the wrong thing. But, I still hold to the attitude that MOST crashes CAN be avoided. Because that ATTITUDE is what guides my riding choices and prepares me for the risks in riding. It's a prepatory attitude rather than a reactionary attitude, and it has worked VERY well for me for well over 20 years and 200,000+ miles.

Like riders who claim "I had to lay it down" reflects an attitude of "I could do nothing about it and this is the result." In my 42+ years of riding, mostly up in Wisconsin, ride from March to end of November, I have never had to lay it down. My attitude is "it's ALL up to ME first to rider the best I can, every ride, and ONLY I can do something about the results."