User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
Red Dust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
DL650 ECU advice please.

Did post on stromtrooper as well. Handed in my 2007 for repair, apparently it was the ECU that was broken and it would cost close to AUD$1800.
If I get a 2nd hand ECU can I just plug it in and it should work, easily done?
Many thanks.
Red Dust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,558
If it's the exact same part number as your original ECU, then switching them should take two minutes.

But before you buy, I'd advice to make 110% certain, that your ECU actually IS the problem. They very very very seldom go bad. More likely, if you've submerged the bike some time, or the unit has got lots of water on it by some other means, like washing the bike with the seat taken off. Other than that it's almost unheard of.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Red Dust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Interesting. I actually did wash it just before it went bad. But that is like 2 weeks ago, should it not be better by now? Maybe the water ruined ECU for good?
I did not wash it with the seat off but maybe the bike got a shock by being washed....
Many thanks!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
ukturfrocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I doubt its an ecu issue. Why do you think its the ecu. CODES? An ecu issue is super rare on any bike. but im no expert
ukturfrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #5
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Exact description of your bike +modifications +recent maintenance work might be helpful. (Still may not be easy to guess, whatīs wrong, but without those itīs positively impossible.)

And also: what are the symptoms and how/where did they begin, and now your bike does not run at all, or what?

edit. If water has gotten into the ECU area, itīs usually the ECUīs connectors to the wire harness, that first get damaged.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Did Greywolf on Stromtrooper reply to your question over there?

He is the number one Strom Guru and his advice is almost always rock solid.

And an ECU sounds unlikely to me too, very rare they give trouble on almost anything- let alone the near bulletproof Stroms.

Cheers,
Ock.
[aka Ockerstrom over on Stromtrooper]

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
greywolf
Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer: 973
I said pretty much the same things as have been said here. ECM issues are very rare. Borrow one to make sure it fixes the issue before paying for one. In another site, it was mentioned the dealer replaced the ISC valve and that didn't help so dealer diagnosis is more than suspect.

in order of ownership
1971 Honda CB350, 2 1973 Honda CB500s, one was stolen, 1974 Can-Am 175 TNT, 1978 Yamaha XS11, 1978 Honda CX500, 1975 BMW R90S, 1983 BMW R65LS, 2005 Suzuki DL650 totaled, 2007 Suzuki DL650A, 2012 Suzuki DL650A
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
Red Dust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes it is very rare but does happen. Had around 18 bikes so far and only one before this one had that problem.

Apparently the workshop has gone through all the steps and they say to almost 100% that it is the ECU, their mechanic is supposedly good and they are a Suzuki dealer, in the end of the day I suppose they can say whatever since I`m not extremely technical but I know one thing, I will not spend $2000 on this problem when the bike is only worth around $4000!
I will get a slightly 2nd hand ECU for a fraction of the price what a new one cost and hopefully I`m capable to plug it in by myself and save some money in labour.
Symptoms of the bike is very similar to what happened 1/2 year ago when it was the ISC valve(according to another workshop), the bike had a higher than normal idle and after not riding the bike for a day the battery was drained.
I checked the dealer mode (got info how to do it from this terrific site) and C40 came up. This time I did not check it, I just presumed it was the same fault again. It has been a great bike for 6 years and I thought about swapping it for the 2012 DL650, they have one at this particular bike shop where I handed in my K7 model and I will go there tomorrow to sort out this saga plus get a trade in price which will be very interesting since they will deduct $2000 for the repair, they would not pay $2000 themselves even if it would be the ECU since they can buy it to wholesale price and get the labour to cost price. Might take my old girl home and fix it myself or at least try to fix it and take it from there. Still like the bike. Appreciate your input, great site!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

If it was possible the ECU/connectors got wet not long ago, then I'd unplug it, check&clean the connector pins very carefully, then re-try it.

But if your bike actually runs, then an ECU fault, while still possible, looks even more unlikely.

Also some repair shops unfortunately don't have a clue about modern electronics, can't admit it, and then usually try to get lucky by starting to replace things, this method can be costly. (I'm not saying you're now dealing with such place, just saying that its possible.) If possible, a chance to try an identical ECU might tell if its the problem or not.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
some on Ebay

For 89.99 to 399.99 and everywhere in between.

$1800 bucks for an ECU is just absolutely ridiculous, is it gold plated? maybe comes with a new engine perhaps? Geesh.
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Red Dust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

AUD$1400 for the ECU and the rest is labour plus a battery was needed as well so around $1800 and perhaps a bit extra for the battery.
My idea is to bring her home, buy that 2nd hand ECU that I have in mind, if it still not working I take it to someone else for a 3rd opinion. The workshop that did the ISC valve (which they said was bad, also costly plus had a 3-4 weeks wait and had the bike at the workshop all that time) did not want to deal with this "new" problem (ECU?) but recommended me to go to a Suzuki dealer.
The bike does start with jump leads and is rideable but the FI lamp is on constantly, might put some tape over it...LOL.
Will be very, very interesting soon to hear what they have to say about a trade in price. Might even go somewhere else for the new DL or even change brands.
I will keep you posted.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #12
Red Dust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Trade in price was a joke.
Will take my bike home and install a almost new ECU plus new battery and see how we go.
Will sell it privately or keep for some time.
Cheers.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Before replacing anything, that costs money, I'd first take it to someone, who knows Suzuki FI systems and electronics inside out, to have a look. To get the right diagnosis, what's wrong, is the key here.

(..and why the ECU AND battery could be gone at the same time, that also sounds strange to me).
Old 04-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #14
Red Dust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Picked her up this morning. Paid for one hour labour. Battery was charged but the mechanic said the ECU did draw more amps than it was supposed to so something apparently is wrong with the ECU, bike ran good and no FI lamp on the trip home (5 min).
Did order an ECU for a fraction of the new price $250 for a almost new ECU here in Australia and expect it to arrive on Monday or Tuesday.
Will plug it in and take it from there.
Will go to another dealer after it is fixed to get a new quote for the bike as trade in.
The dealer I`m thinking about have the DL650 2012 plus the other bike I`m very keen to have, a KTM1190R so haggling, test rides and more haggling is on the agenda the coming weeks.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, let's hope that'll sort it out.

I've got a -12 Wee, my third Wee actually, and clearly the best of them. The new 1190 according to the tests, appears to be a totally amazing bike in every way, but also has a different price tag!