Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,122
Generally, if something strange is going on with an electronic control unit (ECU), disconnecting the power for an extended period will straighten it out. Since there were some strange voltages and battery problems, it is likely the digital electronics got in some mode that is not normal. In computer lingo, the ECU needs to be rebooted. However, hardware like the ECU doesn't (typically) have a reset button which is where disconnecting the power for 36-48 hours may straighten the ECU out (it could take up to a week).

Basically, any residual charge in the ECU needs to drain. Sometimes, depending on the electronics design, that can take many hours. If the ECU is working but behaves abnormally, draining all the charge for a hardware reset should set it right. That has always worked for me both from experience and agrees with the theory of digital electronics. I learned this trick in college many years ago. Good luck!
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
greywolf
Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer: 965
The V-Strom ECM does not learn from use. There is nothing for it to forget by unplugging. Changes to its program have to be specifically written using something like a Yosh or Teka box and such changes are not volatile. Unplugging won't do anything no matter how long power is lost.

in order of ownership
1971 Honda CB350, 2 1973 Honda CB500s, one was stolen, 1974 Can-Am 175 TNT, 1978 Yamaha XS11, 1978 Honda CX500, 1975 BMW R90S, 1983 BMW R65LS, 2005 Suzuki DL650 totaled, 2007 Suzuki DL650A, 2012 Suzuki DL650A
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #18
Red Dust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
I`m contemplating to even keep the bike but like to change as well.
The part of the brain that says sensibility says 2012 DL but the other one says KTM1190.
Still AUD$10K vs AUD$24K+ is a big difference for most people, at least for me. Could get the DL for a couple of years and take it from there, any major issues of the KTM would have been sorted out by then.
Anyway I thought getting a slightly 2nd hand ECU for roughly 1/6th of the price compared to a new ECU was not too bad, that is almost the same price as 2 hours at the workshop for more diagnostic testing. Also getting a complete wiring harness if something would be wrong in that area. 1/10th of a new price, yes I like to shop around.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #19
JeffPM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Good luck with your issues and keep us updated on the results you get with your second hand ECU and new battery.

'09 Suzuki DL650 WeeStrom
'09 Triumph Street Triple R
JeffPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #20
Red Dust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Will keep you updated.
Anyway the most exciting time is just before you plan to get something new.
If I decide to keep my wee it will be farkled a bit more.
Would be great to have a flashy adventure touring bike but if I ever drop a bike on a fire trail or submerge it in a deep creek crossing it probably feels better with a few thousand $ bike instead of a few 10 thousand $ bike.
Cheers.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #21
Red Dust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

All good with 2nd hand ECU. Will sell DL though due to upgrade to aXT1200.