User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
tday OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Coleman 533 Stove

Does anyone else have this single burner stove? Have you had any trouble with it? Mine worked great one time then the second trip it wouldnt light. The piano wire that runs through the tube on top broke off from a brass piece. The assy is called "unleaded generator" #3 . What does this thing actually do? Can I just take it out? Coleman wants $30 to send me a new one. Is there another source? A simple fix? Any help or info is appreciated.

tday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by tday View Post
Does anyone else have this single burner stove? Have you had any trouble with it? Mine worked great one time then the second trip it wouldnt light. The piano wire that runs through the tube on top broke off from a brass piece. The assy is called "unleaded generator" #3 . What does this thing actually do? Can I just take it out? Coleman wants $30 to send me a new one. Is there another source? A simple fix? Any help or info is appreciated.

Not sure what it does as I don't own this stove. Couldn't you JB weld it back together??

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,578
I've got a 442, which looks very similar

I bought, but havn't used the spares kit, which includes the piano wire thingie.

I beleive it acts like a needle in a carb, varying the size of the orifice through which fuel is metered.

I know of no alternate sources.

Second use? Still under warranty?
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,408
Lots of Coleman stuff/parts on fleabay.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
davmo
n00b

Oddometer: 6
try oldcolemanparts.com
davmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/resources/theory.php

How did it get broken?

Most times when one doesnt kite up right it's because fuel was left in it or it was over filled. If you are going to leave fuel in it for extended periods use coleman fuel or naptha. Gasoline seems to go to shit quick

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,079
I think it regulates fuel flow. I have one of these stoves, as well as an old 502, and always been pleased with both. However they are, in my opinion, more bulky than say, an MSR. But I've always thought Coleman builds a quality product.

If it were an unnecessary part, I'm sure Coleman would build the stove without it.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
tday OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Im hanging on to that link thanks, lots of good parts there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davmo View Post
try oldcolemanparts.com
I cant rightly say how it broke. I took it apart and there it was .
I couldn't re-attach it but I did slide it in and out and re-assembled, and it worked again. I could adjust the flame just fine. I'm wondering if its in there to clean the tube. Your probably correct about the gas being shit. I should maybe run Stabil through it after each trip :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/resources/theory.php

How did it get broken?

Most times when one doesnt kite up right it's because fuel was left in it or it was over filled. If you are going to leave fuel in it for extended periods use coleman fuel or naptha. Gasoline seems to go to shit quick
tday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #9
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Im hanging on to that link thanks, lots of good parts there.

I cant rightly say how it broke. I took it apart and there it was .
I couldn't re-attach it but I did slide it in and out and re-assembled, and it worked again. I could adjust the flame just fine. I'm wondering if its in there to clean the tube. Your probably correct about the gas being shit. I should maybe run Stabil through it after each trip :)

For the life of me I cant think of a way to manipulate it back and forth to clean the tube. It may just be something to hold the fuel in the tube a little longer to help it vaporize for faster start ups.

I wouldnt worry about stabil, just dump whats left of the fuel after every trip. Wouldnt hurt to make up a repair kit for it though.

IBA 22425
Old 06-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #10
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,308
Old Coleman lanterns have the same wire/generator design. It is in the instructions to work the shut-off lever rapidly back & forth to clean the fuel passage.

That's what I do everytime now with the 442. Finally broke down a couple days ago and installed the "spare" generator I have been carrying for years. Wire and fuel passage on the old one weren't black and dirty like I found them years ago and had to do "tabletop" repairs. Before I read the instructions for the old lanterns.

To work well, fuel should be filtered. Coleman still sells the funnel with filter altough I won't carry it on the road, stays with my lanterns.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
jodyz121
Mostly Harmless . . .

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
I bought two of these 533's from Wal-Mart for $30 apiece, so maybe you should just get a new one.
jodyz121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
the tube is a preheater to vaporize fuel before it burns, i believe the wire inside the unleaded one is a shaker cleaner, to keep the pipe clear (unleaded soots up)

try it with white gas/coleman fuel whatever its called in the states as the cleaner burning models dont have the wire, didnt have it in my featherlite.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
the tube is a preheater to vaporize fuel before it burns, i believe the wire inside the unleaded one is a shaker cleaner, to keep the pipe clear (unleaded soots up)

try it with white gas/coleman fuel whatever its called in the states as the cleaner burning models dont have the wire, didnt have it in my featherlite.

Ahhhh, shaker. Now it makes sense.

IBA 22425