User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Question Front Tire recommendation

I did a search for "front tire" and overloaded the system or something as nothing turned up except a blank screen.

I need to replace the Tourance I put on in August - got about 8k out of it running at 40psi.

Any recommendations for a replacement MC Tire? Wish I could follow DaveBig's lead and get a Stroker wheel for a car tire but none seem to be available.

I care more about performance than longevity.

Thanks,
Duncan
Old 04-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday View Post
I did a search for "front tire" and overloaded the system or something as nothing turned up except a blank screen.

I need to replace the Tourance I put on in August - got about 8k out of it running at 40psi.

Any recommendations for a replacement MC Tire? Wish I could follow DaveBig's lead and get a Stroker wheel for a car tire but none seem to be available.

I care more about performance than longevity.

Thanks,
Duncan
Last I heard from Stroker they where bldg R1200 wheels, I would consider calling Chris at Boxer Metal he was talking to Woody's Wheels about lacing 15" wheels to modern BMW hubs and should have some sort of an answer by now. Once you try a car tire it's tough to go back, bigger contact patch way more braking.Other wise the biggest motorcycle tire one can get in there .I had tourances when Claude mounted the chair, front should have gone maybe 5k, 2.5 and it was really toast.DB
Another less expensive thought just occurred if you could get Woody's to do an 18" wheel there would be lots of dual sport rubber choices (rear tires)or a Metzler Block K for the road.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,374
I think the 1200GS has the same size front tire as the 1150GS so you might want to check this thread.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

The front tire below is a Metzler Lazar it worked way better than the tourance. was just in garage and its a 110/90 really fills the front fender.

The next is a Marathon I had one of these on my previous Honda gl1100/Ural setup and it worked well.Its the tire they loved in the other thread.

davebig screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 05:10 PM
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,944
I have the Metzeler 880 on my GS rig and it's been wearing far better than the Tourance and Anakee II that came before it. I wish it had a better grip on dirt roads, so may go with a Heidenau K60 up front next
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,284
I just saw today that Metzler has a new higher mileage ME 888 out now but I have not had the time to look up sizes yet.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
I think the 1200GS has the same size front tire as the 1150GS so you might want to check this thread.
Drone: Thanks for the link. {I don't know why my search didn't turn it up.]

I didn't check out your front tire the other day - what are you running now? Heidenau? Avon?

Thanks,
Duncan
Old 04-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,374
Still got the K60 Heidi--my 2nd. First one lasted about 8000 miles and I changed it out before it was completely gone. Maybe coulda got another 1000. Seriously thinking about following Patta's lead and next time trying the Avon Safety Mileage 400-19 TT on my TL rim.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR View Post
I just saw today that Metzler has a new higher mileage ME 888 out now but I have not had the time to look up sizes yet.
I am anxious to see how that one works Dana. The ME880 has done okay but this one may be better (or not lol?). So much has to do with driving style and how agressive some are , mainly in lefties.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,284
I was just looking through Metzelers website at the ME 888 Marathon Ultra and it does look interesting. It is only available in 100/90 - 19 57H TL steel belted radial. Load rating looks good, 507, for the front tire but I do not see the dimensions as far as width and height listed.

http://metzeler.com/site/us/products...hon_ultra.html
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Still got the K60 Heidi--my 2nd. First one lasted about 8000 miles and I changed it out before it was completely gone. Maybe coulda got another 1000. Seriously thinking about following Patta's lead and next time trying the Avon Safety Mileage 400-19 TT on my TL rim.
Drone may be on to something, that thing cries out to be a sidecar front ! Its square, it has drainage and shoulders,probably a bigger contact patch,What's not to love but once you try a car tire there isn't allot of other choice.DB
Old 04-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Drone may be on to something, that thing cries out to be a sidecar front ! Its square, it has drainage and shoulders,probably a bigger contact patch,What's not to love but once you try a car tire there isn't allot of other choice.DB
Will that fit on a GS rim? you got my interest. Kind of reminds me of anAvon markll.Running a Tourance without much complaint,but wouldn't mind some more mileage...
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Boondox
Travels With Barley

I'd be interested in that Avon, but sure don't want to run with a tube...
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Old 04-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Hey Peter how you doing.The Avons were all I used on the Airhead rigs.They were great.But I don't think they will fit our rims..If that Hiedie will fit I might give it try.I like tread design look a little more aggresive now I'd like to know the price of them....
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrone View Post
Hey Peter how you doing.The Avons were all I used on the Airhead rigs.They were great.But I don't think they will fit our rims..If that Hiedie will fit I might give it try.I like tread design look a little more aggresive now I'd like to know the price of them....
Hey Bert. Revzilla has fronts for $145 plus $5 shipping; rears are about $50 more. I'm thinking the tread would be nice on those logging roads out in the PNW this summer!