ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Andthebeast OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wink Opinion on a bike

I've been wanting to get an adventure touring bike for awhile and just saw an 04 ktm 950 adventure pop up for sale.

I was wondering what are the common problems for the bike that I should look out for if I go look at it and what a reasonable price would be to pay if I showed up with cash and everything looked good.

The ad is here

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks for your help!

As far as bike choice goes, I currently have an 02 SV650s that I Bought 4 years ago with 15k that now has over 50k. I took two trips last summer. One from Washington to Wyoming and back through BC and Alberta and a second trip from Washington to Colorado through Arizona. I know I love motorcycle touring, but I hated being stuck on paved roads with the SV while I rode past amazing country in Utah and Colorado, let alone Washington state where I live.(The SV might currently be in the middle of a suspension overhaul/upgrade because of my inability to stay on paved roads while riding near the burr trail switchbacks and other gorgeous roads that weren't made for street bikes)

I think the ktm adventure would be a better choice so that I could free myself from the chains of pavement.
Andthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
ABuck99

Oddometer: 551
http://www.ktm950.info/how/ktm_950_issues.html

Good Luck-
Old 04-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
Andthebeast OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen that yet. Definitely a helpful list!

It looks like he's already taken care of most of the problems and it also has the coveted "s" suspension on it which is a plus.

Does 6500 seem like a fair price for it IYHO?
Andthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
SLIV3R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thumb

Thats a pretty good price considering all the extras on and off the bike that you are getting and the bike is nice and clean.
From all the work thats been done it also seems like its had a good service history so you wont be needing to address any of the common issues that these bike get when they get older.

I bought my 04 950 a couple months back for a little bit less and with a lots less extras and they are still awesome bikes to ride you wont regret buying it especially once you get the stupid smile from riding it
Old 04-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
An '04 with "S" suspension will be VERY tall -- the tallest of the Adventures produced. The bike looks to be well sorted. I have a June 2004 build standard 950 with 240mm suspension. I ride it just about every day that weather permits. The bikes are just fine as long as they are maintained appropriately.

There are some technical service bulletins that must be done to the older bikes, and you'll want to check to make sure that those have been done. The big ones are (a) replace head nuts with new nuts and washers -- the originals did not hold the appropriate torque on the head and resulted in leaky head gaskets, and (b) removing and reinstalling the bolts on the flywheel -- the original bolts were installed with the wrong Loctite. They come loose and destroy the stator. If the bike has been maintained by a KTM dealer, the history of these TSBs will be in the KTM system, so you can tell whether or not they have been done.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
slo rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Small world. I am the current owner of the bike in the ad and also have it listed here in the marketplace http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867307

Like the ad says this bike has some ADV Rider history being owned by Miserey Goat and Malagato before me.
slo rider is offline   Reply With Quote