User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Metalsapo OP
R.E. Ordońez

Oddometer: 41
Cool2 Touring and Offroad Helmet

Hi, i need you guys to give me a nice advice on this one.
I have a C2 Schuberth helmet and the only helmet i have ever owned, and it is getting to the point where when i am Off-roading the helmet seems to not be prepared fot this situations, i commute to work at 6 AM and the outside cold and my heavy breathing in the off-road (6KM) to get to the farm showed me the disadvantages of my helmet, i have to open the shield and get cold or worst allot of dirt in my eyes to dis mist the vapor, the C2 is not prepared for the Sena speakers and i have to readjust the speakers once in a while, also in city trafic with the killer sun of Guatemala i have the same problem with vapor, but maybe im just over reacting in this thread to be specific, but just want a better opinion from your experience, and at last, i love the extra visor for the direct sun light, useful early morning and late afternoon, so i will get a new helmet and leave the C2 for short commuting.
Im about to buy the BMW enduro helmet, it is very expensive, it is like twice the price of the C2, also the Shoei and the Arai are very attractive and expensive, have allot of reviews in the internet with sophisticated video explanations, but not the BMW, and the other option that i really like is the Icon Variant because it seems to be prepared for ventilation and confort, agressive and economically confortable, so if you have ever felt this way, i appreciate your response.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,316
I dislike buffeting on my head so I chose a visor less helmet. Just ordered up a Shoei GT-Air from a local retailer here. Now I can tour without bringing an extra visor. I really don't think it matters if you look like you sometimes ride in the dirt vs. smooth air that won't wear you out as you do 500+ mile days, day after day.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:14 AM   #3
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
I have two street helmets though many may think I only have one.
I have a Shoei RF1000 that fits me very well; however, I rarely use it.
My go to helmet is an Aria XD. It keeps the sun out of my eyes and reduces over all glare and allows me to see the road surface much clearer then I can with a traditional road riding helmet.
Going from bright sun to deep shade the road surface would disappear on me, the Arai XD largely cured this. And in heavy dust I can wear goggles with the XD. The widescreen on any helmet is not going to work well in dust.
In cool moist conditions the windscreen is going to fog up. The cure is a pinlock shield; however, on my XD I had a lot of trouble with one. I could not seem to get it to fit right and also there was distortion I didn’t like.
The Arai XD4 has redesigned wind screen that is also pinlock ready so it may work better then what I have.
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 05:34 AM
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Geocafe
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Wink

I' ve bought the "UVEX"/Enduro style helmet, but hard on the neck during the long rides... Then I got a "ARAI XD3", awesome helmet, light, great ventilation and fits nice. I'm thinking about changing this spring and seriously considering the "BMW ENDURO" helmet. Why? Heard it was comparable to the ARAI XD3... So why not!? The way I see it? It's your head. So no comprimises and comfort goes a long way!!!
Geocafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
I agree with RocketJohn. I've had a Shoei X11 and an Arai XD3. The XD3 is nice in the dirt and on hot days as it vents better and you can wear it with goggles, but I don't ride dirt as often as I'd like. The peak catches a lot of wind at highway speeds and the buffeting gives me a headache after a while. I've tried all the tricks like putting little wheel balancing weights on the underside, and while they help there is still way more buffeting with the XD3 than with my Shoei X11. I've even tried removing the peak for the highway portion of rides, and while that works it's a PITA to be removing and re-installing the peak all the time. Consequently, my XD3 sits in the closet 99% of the time.

On my X11, I solved the problem of riding into bright sun in the morning/evening by installing a Sunax sunshield. This made a HUGE difference, and I would recommend it to anyone - it's honestly one of my favorite farkles ever.

That said, I finally retired my X11 and bought a new Shoei GT Air a few weeks ago. The GT Air is a phenomenal helmet. Better venting than the X11, better visor (optically), internal flip-down sun shield, quieter, less buffeting, Pinlock included... it's as close to a perfect helmet as I've come across so far.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:49 AM   #6
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,900
Arai XD

I've had two Arai XD - a 2 and 3 - and these are by far my favorite helmets as far as venting, comfort while wearing and light weight are concerned. My Schuberth C2 is great for winter and to block out ambient noise, but after an hour I want an XD.

BTW, removing the peak from an XD is a 2-5 minute job. The helmets come with covers to install when not using the peak.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
BTW, removing the peak from an XD is a 2-5 minute job. The helmets come with covers to install when not using the peak.
I would never take the Peak/Visor off that is what makes the helmet great. I have no issues with my XD at speed and/or in wind.
However, why Arai doesn’t attach the windscreen similar to how Shoei does is beyond me. Shoei’s setup is far superior in that respect.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
Metalsapo OP
R.E. Ordońez

Oddometer: 41
Well...

I conclude in that the helmet is not the big problem, i really like my helmet, and as i said before, i may be over reacting the issue to explain why i was considering other helmet, but for my purpose the C2 is doing great, i will get a good pair of sun glasses for inside the helmet in heavy off road motorcycle trips.
thaks to all, and i see that an off road helmet will have its own issues, so im happy with what i have, Helge Pedersen uses Schuberth (and maybe other) and inspired me to keep using it.