ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #16
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,275
I love the looks of the above setup.

Why did I strip my RT. The RT deal fell in my lap. I gave it a fair trial. Not my cup of tee but I personally don't care for RS fairings either. Too heavy. My fairing was sold and created a RT somewhere so I don't feel too guilty. Offends the purist. I could give F all about the purist. I love modified bikes when they are modified to work better than the original. Unfortunately, a LOT of cafe, bobbers, and scramblers offend me. Ruining good parts to not work. Get a Harley!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #17
Jim Day
full manic mechanic
 
Jim Day's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So. Cal.
Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
I still don't understand why those that want a naked bike, don't just buy a naked bike. Many have tried to explain it to me, but it just does not make any sense to me to bastardize a perfectly good RT or RS. What you are creating is often called a Frankenbike, by the purists.

I hear you there.

It's one thing if it's been severally damaged, or possibly even a neglected RT , but I can't understand why anyone would want to pull a good fairing off a R100RS as they are such a nice ride with the fairing.

Last Friday I ran into someone who'd pulled his fairing off his RS while riding up in the canyons. He initially said it was too hot behind the fairing, and then added that it looked cooler without the fairing and with the toaster tank that he'd put on it.

When I asked him why he didn't just buy a vintage toaster, he said they weren't as fast, and didn't handle as well as the RS.

True enough I guess.

Technically I'd say a true Frankenbike is something that's significantly modified with parts from other bikes to the point it's steering, suspension, or handling has been dramatically altered.

For instance I have a 79 R65 Frankenbike that has DRZ400 forks, and a R1200GS monoshock in the rear. I built that bike because it was not only fun, but the original bike was destroyed to the point it would of cost more to restore it then it was worth.

Since the bike was already destroyed I don't feel bad about making the changes. It's now a very fun ride, a one of a kind, and it cost me about a third less then trying to restore it back to it's original specs.
Jim Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #18
R100LT
Chasing 11
 
R100LT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Donnybrook Western Australia
Oddometer: 625
So a couple of months ago I strike up a conversion at work with an older gent . Start talking about bike ... and WOW ... finally someone that doesn't own a Harley ... Actually he has 4 Beemer's and is looking at letting one go as he is about finished with his total restore of a R90S .

The bike he was looking to off load is a 81 R100S ... Just what I am looking for in my next project of a mild café .

When I get there to see his other bikes ... and he has done a wonderful job ... I notice the S actually has RS stickers . He then tells me that he has the total fairing that is included in the sale .

Sigh ... I just know that if I do end up getting it I will convert it back to an RS ... and do I really need two RS's ???

I am definitely in the " If you want a Naked bike buy a Naked bike and leave the fairing bikes to us whom appreciate them " ( unless its unfixable ) School.

__________________
BMW R100LT 93 BMW R100RS 91 BMW K1100LT SE 94 76 R90S
R100LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #19
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough
 
Beater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I love the looks of the above setup.

Why did I strip my RT. The RT deal fell in my lap. I gave it a fair trial. Not my cup of tee but I personally don't care for RS fairings either. Too heavy. My fairing was sold and created a RT somewhere so I don't feel too guilty ...
This is almost exactly what happened to me. It fell in my lap. And I was able to sell the RS faring (even though it was damaged) for what I paid for the bike ... I don't feel bad about it at all.

I look at it from the bikes perspective. Do you think the bike would prefer the faring, and someone to pass it over? Or would the bike prefer someone to care for it, make it run, and actually use it?

Warped, no?
__________________
Fred
'85 R80RT G/Sified <|> '91 R100GS Bumblebee (103K miles and climbing) <|> '73 R75/5 LWB
Airhead Zen: Ride - Repair - Ride - Maintain - Ride - Repeat
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #20
Jim Day
full manic mechanic
 
Jim Day's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So. Cal.
Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
I look at it from the bikes perspective. Do you think the bike would prefer the faring, and someone to pass it over? Or would the bike prefer someone to care for it, make it run, and actually use it?
Warped, no?
I know my R75/6 loves me for rescuing it from it's last owner, getting it back on the road and for paying all those past due DMV fees.

My R65 feels like a total Badass with it's "New" DRZ forks.

Anthropomorphizing? Hardly They talk to me, they really do.
Jim Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #21
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough
 
Beater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Anthropomorphizing? Hardly They talk to me, they really do.
I'm just glad I'm not the only one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
My R65 feels like a total Badass with it's "New" DRZ forks.
PS - That hill cllimber is bad ass. Well done!
__________________
Fred
'85 R80RT G/Sified <|> '91 R100GS Bumblebee (103K miles and climbing) <|> '73 R75/5 LWB
Airhead Zen: Ride - Repair - Ride - Maintain - Ride - Repeat
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #22
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign
 
Hookalatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Cottonwood, CA
Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
I still don't understand why those that want a naked bike, don't just buy a naked bike. Many have tried to explain it to me, but it just does not make any sense to me to bastardize a perfectly good RT or RS.

As they say, it is your bike, and you can do what ever you want to it. Just don't go calling it an RS anymore. Cuz it ain't one. What you are creating is often called a Frankenbike, by the purists.
I am in the process of converting an RT to an S. Its a pretty simple explanation why this is done so often, at least in my general local. There are more RT bikes for sale (not so with RS) than naked or S bikes and they are cheaper because the demand is low. I bought the RT cheap for a ride last year with one of my sons. I intended to sell it after the ride. Although this is my 3rd Airhead, I have been Airhead-less for several years. I admit to a fondness for these machines. Even though my son said he would rather ship one of his bikes out here than ride the RT again I decided to keep it.

S-shaft described my feeling about the bike almost exactly in the post he made earlier. I tried to enjoy the RT. I did not. I am greatly enjoying the process of converting the 84 R80RT into an S clone with R100RS engine parts. I started with a bare painted frame and I am evaluating every part and restoring/rebuilding/replacing and painting as necessary. In my mind this bike is now a keeper and I don't even have it completely back together yet. Had I sold the bike instead of converting it would likely have been stripped for parts anyway. Turned out to have low compression due to exhaust valve problems- I fact I didn't learn until I was disassembling it. I just thought the R80 was very slow.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #23
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer
 
pbarmy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Great Black Swamp
Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
I still don't understand why those that want a naked bike, don't just buy a naked bike. Many have tried to explain it to me, but it just does not make any sense to me to bastardize a perfectly good RT or RS.

As they say, it is your bike, and you can do what ever you want to it. Just don't go calling it an RS anymore. Cuz it ain't one. What you are creating is often called a Frankenbike, by the purists.
No "purists" called or e-mailed when my R/T was for sale.I have an R90S,but I like my "nekked"r/t better.Why,riding position,and it is a bit of a"Frankenbike".Any way,like you said,I bought it,I can do what I want to it.And I did.
__________________
"Nostalgia ain't what it once was"
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #24
alorar100rs
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
This is almost exactly what happened to me. It fell in my lap. And I was able to sell the RS faring (even though it was damaged) for what I paid for the bike ... I don't feel bad about it at all.

I look at it from the bikes perspective. Do you think the bike would prefer the faring, and someone to pass it over? Or would the bike prefer someone to care for it, make it run, and actually use it?

Warped, no?

How much were you able to get for the faring?? I'm looking to strip some parts off my rs to fund some other work that i need to do to it..
alorar100rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #25
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough
 
Beater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by alorar100rs View Post
How much were you able to get for the faring?? I'm looking to strip some parts off my rs to fund some other work that i need to do to it..
I got close to $500 for it ... YEARS ago ... before the cafe' fad hit. People still liked the faring on the bike. Right now, I have a complete RT faring and an RS faring in the basement that I cannot get rid of. I kind of expect that people will want them again ... someday. But right now ... you can't get much for them ... and shipping is outragous.
__________________
Fred
'85 R80RT G/Sified <|> '91 R100GS Bumblebee (103K miles and climbing) <|> '73 R75/5 LWB
Airhead Zen: Ride - Repair - Ride - Maintain - Ride - Repeat
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #26
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer
 
Voltaire's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Auckland,New Zealand
Oddometer: 1,218
I recently picked up a 1989 R100RT with 90 000 kms at a very good price. I have ridden it for about 50kms.....initial impressions are lots of reflected noise off the faring the riding position seems so remote and it you seem to get sucked forward......interesting though.
As our national motorway network is only about 200 kms long distance at high speed on Autobahns is not going happen.
Planning to use it as is as a work bike over the winter.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #27
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,275
I don't have any problems modifying beemers. Especially when it is bolt on/bolt off. Almost all my mods are bolt on/bolt off. The ONLY mods on my very modified bike that can't be undone is the head work. What grips my ass is seeing perfectly good fenders being shortened so they don't work worth a shit anymore. You can do that to any piece of crap fender. Subframes hacked and welded so that the first good bump you hit locks up your rear tire. Perfectly good header pipes mangled into a ill designed, leg burning pile of scrap when you could use cheap tubing to start with and it would end up a lot better for it. The list could go on. That's what grips my ass. Airheads modified to haul ass or just do most any type of riding better than it did? I love that stuff!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #28
gsd4me
90% bluff
 
gsd4me's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 7,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I don't have any problems modifying beemers. Especially when it is bolt on/bolt off. Almost all my mods are bolt on/bolt off. The ONLY mods on my very modified bike that can't be undone is the head work. What grips my ass is seeing perfectly good fenders being shortened so they don't work worth a shit anymore. You can do that to any piece of crap fender. Subframes hacked and welded so that the first good bump you hit locks up your rear tire. Perfectly good header pipes mangled into a ill designed, leg burning pile of scrap when you could use cheap tubing to start with and it would end up a lot better for it. The list could go on. That's what grips my ass. Airheads modified to haul ass or just do most any type of riding better than it did? I love that stuff!

I'm wary of things gripping my arse too and agree with everything you've said there, SS.
__________________
David Hunn:
R100GS Ray Peake special.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #29
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
I'm wary of things gripping my arse too and agree with everything you've said there, SS.
Oops. The gripe gripped my ass and griped it. That's what I meant to write!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #30
Zodiac
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
I got close to $500 for it ... YEARS ago ... before the cafe' fad hit. People still liked the faring on the bike. Right now, I have a complete RT faring and an RS faring in the basement that I cannot get rid of. I kind of expect that people will want them again ... someday. But right now ... you can't get much for them ... and shipping is outragous.
How much you want for the RS fairing?

(technically I only need the L&R upper wings....)

I'm collecting parts to make a spare body (and those are the last 2 items needed).
__________________
2011 Duct Tape Roll
1997 Cycle Therapy mini pump
1988 Aerostich Fleece collar scarf
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014