User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #121
jbar28 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Live to work, or work to live.

There's no doubt that food is healthier in many parts of the world than most of the food most Americans eat. Americans have the choice, and many choose to eat poor quality food. It was interesting to see all the meat hanging as carcasses in the markets and roadside restaurants in Morocco. It isn't refrigerated, but it was walking around yesterday, so it's very fresh. Ground beef in the US that is packaged in low-oxygen packing has a rated shelf life of 23 days.

Many in parts of Morocco eat anything they can get. I rode through a rural area with many olive groves and oil pressing plants, and saw it as very scenic. I was later told by someone who is in a position to know that many poor people in that area survive on just the olives and almonds they grow, plus a little bread, and water they get from a river. Not exactly healthy eating but poverty does that. Only 50% of rural Moroccans have 'improved' water sources, meaning something cleaner than a river or creek.

I think my weight loss had more to do with being more tuned into the riding and where I was than to my stomach. I simply skipped lunch or dinner more days than not. I didn't plan to, and not very smart, but I did. Now that I'm back home, I find I'm hungry all the time. I think my body is trying to get back to it's normal weight.
jbar28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #122
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Loved the report! Thanks!!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #123
jbar28 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Biker's Home

Since I've been back, I've become aware of a place in Ouarzazate called Biker's Home. While I've never been there and don't know these folks, it seems many ADV riders do. Among the services they offer are:

"Broken down with your bike or 4×4 in Morocco and need parts? We can help you out. Need a clean garage with lots of tools to do maintenance on your bike… Bikershome! Bike repatriation service throughout the Desert and Atlas Mountains, our pick-up brings your stranded bike back to Spain."

Had things not gone well the day I got lost, it would have been good to know about this place, so I'm posting this for people who read through this report researching their own ride. May you never need any of those services!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #124
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar28 View Post
Since I've been back, I've become aware of a place in Ouarzazate called Biker's Home. While I've never been there and don't know these folks, it seems many ADV riders do.
That was the place I was looking for (without luck) when we passed through Ouarzazate
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:44 AM   #125
pubetmaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanks for that great RR , with sharing your fears and troubles you encountered during it.
pubetmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #126
jbar28 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Valve check

After I got home I ordered the Service Manual, a couple tools I needed, and did a valve clearance check. Some readers may remember I fretted about valve noise my first day in Morocco and almost turned around. Turns out they are all exactly in spec. Tearing the bike down also gave me a good chance to clean things up.

I installed new spark plugs, new air filter, fresh oil change, and put it back together. Runs like a champ.

Now busy getting ready to head to Turkey in July.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:45 AM   #127
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
Turkey will be near or above 40 deg C in July and August. Some fantastic roads, superb scenery, great food and cheap (as in very inexpensive) accommodation. You'll have a great time. And don't forget the cold Efes after a hot day riding

Is that regulator/rectifier a mosfet type?
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #128
jbar28 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mosfet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
Is that regulator/rectifier a mosfet type?
No idea, you'd have to ask someone at Suzuki. It's whatever came on it new.