Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan8621 View Post
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but I need some in put. My wife and are considering trading in her car for the tigerXC, we both agree it would help finacialy with lower gas cost. It would be my daily ride everyday rain or shine, the big issue is we have our first child due in two weeks and this would leave us with just my truck and the bike. Does anybody here have a similar situation, its it worth it or should I wait???
That bike isn't going to save you on tires, insurance, or purchase cost. A $3K Civic or Corolla would likely be cheaper to own.

For an economical bike, look for a cheap, used, jap 250-650 air or air/oil-cooled thumper with screw/locknut valves. Run cheap tires that last, like Shinko or Kenda. My tires cost less than $100/set, and last over 6K miles easily. Use regular oil. Use an economical chain and clean/lube it regularly. Work on it yourself. Don't crash.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #17
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,042
This poor guy finally had his wife talked in to trading her car on an 800XC and you guys want him to get a mini van?

Get the Tiger, load it up with accessories, get a topbox big enough to carry the kid and you're set.

Owning a bike has never been less expensive to operate than a car; at least not around my house.

And on a more serious note: Everything previously stated (prior to this post) is true.....

T screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 06:07 PM
T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #18
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
That bike isn't going to save you on tires, insurance, or purchase cost. A $3K Civic or Corolla would likely be cheaper to own.

For an economical bike, look for a cheap, used, jap 250-650 air or air/oil-cooled thumper with screw/locknut valves. Run cheap tires that last, like Shinko or Kenda. My tires cost less than $100/set, and last over 6K miles easily. Use regular oil. Use an economical chain and clean/lube it regularly. Work on it yourself. Don't crash.
This X10 (Mostly)

Buy a 250 Ninja with a luggage rack and start saving. The buy-in is low and it is very forgiving on tires, gas, chain/sprockets, and it only takes 2 bottles of oil for an oil change. It'll even fit in the back of the truck easy enough and is fun as hell to wind that little engine up. Mine still gives me low 60'sMPG wound up and high 60's if I'm frugal.

Oh, and make sure it's baby blue or lime green.

-Jake
Old 04-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #19
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
Spartan,
Speaking from experience you can do it. I did (I was MUCH younger then)
But like others have said a TigerXC is not TRULY an economy move, as I assume it would be new, with payments, and full coverage insurance. (But it is a DAMN COOL BIKE)
If you MUST do it go lower cc and used. 250-500 Ninja, Suzuki F500, or KLR 650. All can be had used very cheap. ANd are very low cost to own or upkeep. And damn bullet proof.
However, You will also want to get some good wet weather riding gear (Frogg Toggs rock) and good winter gear........waterproof boots........gloves, balaclava, good full face helmet then you will need some summer hot weather gear like a well ventilated mesh jacket (Joe Rocket makes a great one) perf. gloves, ventilated summer boots.......water proof saddle bags/boxes and or a top box.......that Carolla might be looking a little better now???
Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #20
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but I need some in put. My wife and are considering trading in her car for the tigerXC, we both agree it would help finacialy with lower gas cost. It would be my daily ride everyday rain or shine, the big issue is we have our first child due in two weeks and this would leave us with just my truck and the bike. Does anybody here have a similar situation, its it worth it or should I wait???
ummm.... no. That a really bad idea in my mind. What if that your truck breaks down and you have to take the baby to the hospital? The mpg on the tiger doesn't seem that amazing to begin with. Anyway, I wouldn't put my kid's well being at risk to save a couple of bucks on gas. Trade in the car for a new/or used but newer fuel efficient 4 banger
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #21
hoebster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Did I hear you say off to deployment? So while you are away and new bike in garage and truck breaks down while out of own, it doesn't seem very responsible on your part to leave wife and maybe kid stranded with a new bike in garage. Do what you want though.
hoebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #22
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Lots of unsolicited advice here...

Can you have a bike as your only vehicle? Sure. But, of course, there are risks. I would think that you would need access to a second car - not sure how often but when you do... Maybe trade in the car (assuming here that the car is newer with a payment) and buy an inexpensive (very) car which would get very little use and ride the bike everyday.
BryanCO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #23
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,046
+1 on the mini van and getting rid of truck. We rented a pos Chevy Venture to haul my wife's family 400 miles and got 30+mpg. Get an inexpensive bike to ride if you need, but kids and wife first.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #24
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
I think a lot of folks have this idea that riding a bikes saves a lot of money on commuting, etc. For me, I go through a lot of tires. I'm lucky to get 7K miles out of a rear, and I seem to go through brake pads pretty often, maybe 10-13K miles. These cost add up for my DR650, which gets pretty good mpg, (48mpg). I don't think the Tiger 800 will get that great of MPG's, and I know the tires, brake pads, oil filters, etc will be a lot more than on my DR. I have a friend that lets me ride his XC and it's a great bike though. Good luck.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:04 AM   #25
BornAgain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Disregard this bunch of naysayers get the Tiger. I made the same move years ago when my kids were small and my wife and I made do. In fact I'm still with the same circumstance except this time its two bikes one car and the kids are grow and gone.
BornAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #26
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoebster View Post
Did I hear you say off to deployment? So while you are away and new bike in garage and truck breaks down while out of own, it doesn't seem very responsible on your part to leave wife and maybe kid stranded with a new bike in garage. Do what you want though.
I would not dare to say the OP is not responsible. After all, someone about to be deployed knows all about responsibility.

That is, however, why I suggested getting a second car. Trust me, when you are away, you want a backup car sitting in the driveway for the mother of your children. While you are at it, an electric start generator, .357 revolver, and cell phone would also be good.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #27
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
I think a lot of folks have this idea that riding a bikes saves a lot of money on commuting, etc.
It might, if it's your only vehicle.

Taxes on car + bike.
Insurance on car + bike.
Bikes have higher overall maintenance, as you said, tires, valves, chains, etc.

Let's not kid ourselves that we buy motorcycles as a thrifty measure. They're for our enjoyment.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #28
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
You can do this

..or this

Tnen this

Then this

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #29
Spartan8621 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hey guys i appreciate all of the input, the good points and the bad points, like i said this was just a possibility that we were considering. i would never want to leave my wife with no way to get around, her car is paid off and we already know it would be a one for one swap with me leaving the dealer with title in hand, i already have all seasons of riding gear so thats not a problem.

In reality the only reason we are more towardds not trading in the car is because of our son on the way, hes way more important than a bike right now. All in all i was just curious if anyone else ever found themselve in that situation. the bike will be in my garage but it will just have to wait a little while longer, along with all of the farkles ive already decieded to put on it
Spartan8621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #30
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,411
Quote:
All in all i was just curious if anyone else ever found themselve in that situation.
Heck yes.

When my first son was born, my cars and bikes were: Corvette, Talon TSi, MGB, and Kawasaki ZX-11. Not exactly a kid friendly stable. The MGB got returned to my sister (the original owner), the Talon got sold to get a more family-friendly vehicle, and the Corvette and ZX-11 stayed in the garage and got very little use. It wasn't until about six years ago, that the kids (more than one by that time) were old enough so that I could take some time to go enjoy motorsports again.