Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #31
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,313
I'd want a backup car with a baby coming and with no real public transportation available in Texas. Could you do it? Of course, worse case you call 911 if there's an infant emergency or a taxi to get them to the clinic.

But an Adventure bike is hardly a way to save money. Tires, maintenance... not cheap.

Typically the most economical solution is to keep what you have, rarely does trading and buying new make financial sense.

If you want a new bike go get a new bike.

I suspect you won't have a ton of time to ride it, but WTF do I know, I have no children.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #32
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,599
"Getting a bike to save" worked on my wife...

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #33
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
"Getting a bike to save" worked on my wife...

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
haha! Your baby pics are awesome! Thanks for going through the trouble to entertain us!
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #34
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
I think a lot of folks have this idea that riding a bikes saves a lot of money on commuting, etc.
It depends on many factors, like what the cage in question is, what the bike in question is, what kind of commute/travel you do, the price of fuel, the price difference on insurance, tire choice, tire longevity, the price difference on purchase cost, the price difference on registration, the price difference on parking, and whether you can do your own maintenance/repairs...among possible other factors.

People comparing a $20k R1200GS to a $15K Fit, in a place that charges identical registration, tolls, and parking...aren't going to save $$ with a bike.

Running a front Shinko 244 ($30) and rear Kenda K270 ($60) for 10K miles, an O-ring 520 chain and sprockets ($110) for 15K miles, and 2qt 3500-mile oil changes with a washable filter and dino Shell Rotella, a $2000-$3000 KLX250, KLR650, or DR650 with full-coverage for $20-$25/month and $30 annual registration tends to be more economical than a $15k-$25K 15MPG Jeep on 31" BFG MTs with a $60 registration and $150/month insurance, when gas is over $4/gal and the KLX/KLR/DR can best 50MPG for 15K-20K miles/yr. Factor in free moto parking in many places too, while parking in a major city can be $30/day for a cage. If you can split lanes, you can also potentially save on commute time.

It can get even cheaper if you can flip used bikes every year. Find a great deal on a used bike, ride it for a year, and sell it for a similar price when the new registration is almost due. You don't pay much penalty for mileage. Pick up a fresh used $2000 Nighthawk or Ninja 250 every year. You CAN save $$ by riding.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #35
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,896
I'm looking at dumping my civic hybrid and using my dl650 and taco to get to work.
But it doesn't save me very much at.
Taxes are just about the same. Gas is just about the same tires last longer on the car but I need more of em.

The biggest thing it does is save me time.

That said in you situation. I'd suggest sitting down and looking at where your priorities are.
Given the little snippet you showed us. My suggestin.
Save you pennies for a year and go buy a cheap bike. Like a 90's dual sport or a mid sized older bike.
Keeping the car and truck.
You will be so tired the first four months.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:53 AM   #36
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Everybody has already stated the reality of the situation that you do not save money with the motorcycle.

It used to be that you actually could save money on a bike when cars got less that 20 mpg while motorcycles got 45 and tires would last 15 to 20k. Now the cars have gotten substantially better fuel mileage while bikes have not. Tires for the motorcycle don't last as long as they used to and they cost a heck of a lot more.

The best advice is to make sure you have one very good car that gets good gas mileage. Your truck doesn't fit the bill. Trading in her car so you can get a motorcycle is not the thing to do when you are starting out. A better car and a cheaper motorcycle is the best course of action.

Virtually all of us have been in your situation and life changes as soon as you have kids. Your priorities change, as they should, and what seemed important before having kids is not as important as they were after you have kids.

I have always had a motorcycle but the family needs and cars always came first. The used motorcycle market is full of good deals and I really don't want to burst your bubble but that is what you should be looking at instead of a new bike.

Good luck!
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote