User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
laxtond OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Need some info from CRF250L owners

Hey everyone this is my first post, although I've been reading over the past couple of days for hours on end (mainly the CRF250L thread). I haven't found the exact answer I've been looking for though. I am very likely going to buy a 2013 CRF250L from a local dealer on Friday.

My question is: How capable is this bike at maintaining highway speeds (68-70mph) at a very comfortable rpm range for an hour or so at a time, without the bike seeming like its really struggling to keep up.

A little information about me: I'm about 5'11" 170lb, will be riding mainly on pavement, using this bike as a commuter, and occasionally going on pretty tame dirt roads, nothing too crazy what so ever.

If there are any changes I could make to the bike to help it out on the pavement I'll likely make those changes.

Planned changes:
Some type of luggage rack
80 street / 20 trail tires (maybe something along the lines of Shinko 705)
Maybe drill the airbox
Some Handguards
Change sprockets to get the optimal gearing for my use (I dont mind to lose some low end power to gain some top end speed)

I really hope to not have to change the exhaust to get the changes I want but might later down the road if I must

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read and reply to my post.

Have fun riding this summer, I cant wait for the weather to break here in southern Ohio for some warm weather riding.
laxtond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,436
Just a suggestion...might get more response by tagging your question on to the existing, long running thread for this bike. Lots of owners and experience with this model on that thread. Nothing wrong with your question, but it might streamline the knowledge base for the bike into the one thread where it will continue to be available for others. Most singular threads tend to disappear quickly, so the shared time and effort for the answer is often lost. This is a popular bike, and that's a great thread that already exists for that bike.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Treebone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Sounds like you would be happier with something in the 650CC range.
if you want to run comfortably and not struggle, to do 68-70 for an hour at a time.

This is, after all, a 250cc bike.

While yes, it will do it, NO, it won't be comfortable or not struggle.

Change your expectations to 55-60, you might be quite satisfied.

There is just not enough power to really make use of higher gearing to get higher top speed, at least in a useful manner, it is
already geared high from the factory.
If there is a bit of a headwind, you actually will lose speed in top gear.

This is a great motorcycle, but expecting it to be a good freeway bike is just asking too much if you want to be happy with it.

Treebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
laxtond OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thank you both for your quick replies.

TNC - Thats good advice, I'll try that

Treebone - I had thought about the 650, but really like the idea of the 250 range, as I am a beginning rider and will be mainly using this bike to commute. I have heard conflicting stories of some people saying it is capable of highway speeds and other saying that it just doesn't have the gall for it. As long as a constant 60 won't be a problem I'm sure I'll be happy with this bike. If only the DRZ400 seemed a bit more modern or Honda made a CRF400L.

At any rate, thanks again.
laxtond is offline   Reply With Quote