Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #16
NCGS
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
Always had a 'thing' about that bike.. nearly pulled the trigger on one in May of last year.

Unfortunately, the dealer network - what dealer network - here in NC pretty much doesn't exist. The one dealer we had in the state went TU, and just recently a dealer in Charlotte - on the other side of the state from me - picked up M-G. I do all my own routine maintenance, but it's a RPITA to get the bike to and from Charlotte..

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many.
NCGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #17
motoretro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Unfortunately with only 4.7" at the front and 4.3" at the rear, It would have to be set pretty close to optimum for my weight beforehand for a decent ride. Not sure If I can talk the dealer into spending some serious time in making these adjustments before a test ride.
We'll see.
Thanks, Motoretro

Quote:
Woud it be this lovely bike:
When I first got it, it was harsh. Set the SAG front and rear, backed off on the compression and now it rides good. Firm but no longer harsh. Some of the initial harshness issue I had was that the preload was set for some who must have weighed 300 lbs. My first comments were that it's a bike that'll put a little blood in your urine. The trouble with trying one at a dealer is that it won't be setup for you and it sounds like a lot of folks had to go through a complete suspension setup like I did so a dealer bike won't be too representitive of what it can be. Remember though that it wants to be a sport bike so the suspension is on the firm side.
motoretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #18
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,253
Quote:

Gorgeous bike!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #19
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
How does it go around corners? I test rode a 1200 sport a couple a years ago because I liked the look of it and the guzzi ethos but I absolutely hated it. That thing just wouldn't corner properly - it either wanted to go straight, or wallowed the bars. I honestly thought I was going to fall over midcorner in a roundbout for a while there. But it might have been that particular bike that was horribly setup.

How's yours for handling? I know it's a heavy bike but does it feel neutral and relaxed in a corner or do you have to muscle it around?
My answer to handling would be a word like "surprising". I've owned a lot of bikes over the years including liter and half liter sport bikes, bikes with premium suspensions and I've done a few track days over the years as well so I have a pretty good idea of what good handling is and what it does for you. My opinion is that for as long as the wheel base is I didn't expect it to be as good as it is. I'm pleasantly surprised. It's not as precise as a dedicated sport bike but close and it's not as controlled when pushing into the corners hard as a dedicated sport bike but it's close there as well. It's billing as a gentlemanís sport bike is pretty spot on in my experience. I ride pretty hard and I've had no asshole pucker moments when getting into a corner a bit to hot. It's pretty confidence inspiring and I donít find myself wanting for anything better in most riding conditions. The exception being riding in stop and go traffic. The fueling below 4500 rpm could be a bit better.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #20
RonS
Out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoretro View Post
Unfortunately with only 4.7" at the front and 4.3" at the rear, It would have to be set pretty close to optimum for my weight beforehand for a decent ride. Not sure If I can talk the dealer into spending some serious time in making these adjustments before a test ride.
We'll see.
Thanks, Motoretro
Yes, it takes a bit of tuning. With your issues I'd focus on the riding position to see if that bothers you. It's a bit of an oddball riding position that takes some getting used to. It's a bit of a reach to the bars, not quite sport touring but not fully upright either and the pegs are a bit further forward than you would think. Seems natural to me now and it works well for the way I ride but it may be everybody's cup of tea.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
My answer to handling would be a word like "surprising". I've owned a lot of bikes over the years including liter and half liter sport bikes, bikes with premium suspensions and I've done a few track days over the years as well so I have a pretty good idea of what good handling is and what it does for you. My opinion is that for as long as the wheel base is I didn't expect it to be as good as it is. I'm pleasantly surprised. It's not as precise as a dedicated sport bike but close and it's not as controlled when pushing into the corners hard as a dedicated sport bike but it's close there as well. It's billing as a gentlemanís sport bike is pretty spot on in my experience. I ride pretty hard and I've had no asshole pucker moments when getting into a corner a bit to hot. It's pretty confidence inspiring and I donít find myself wanting for anything better in most riding conditions. The exception being riding in stop and go traffic. The fueling below 4500 rpm could be a bit better.
Thanks for the feedback! I think at some point in my life I'll have to own a moto guzzi.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #22
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,946
I too have an itch for one and that one is a beaut. What kind of range does the tank allow for in lets say an aggressive type of riding situation?
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #23
RonS
Out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
I too have an itch for one and that one is a beaut. What kind of range does the tank allow for in lets say an aggressive type of riding situation?
Aggressive... I'd not let it go more than 150 miles before filling up. I think I could make 200 miles or more on a tank if I were more gentle on the throttle but I never am so I'll never know.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #24
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
I get about 150 before the fuel light comes on, then exactly 33 miles before you are walking.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #25
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
When a bike looks as sweet as that green Griso, I'd just bring it to the pros & pay whatever it takes to dial in that suspension for me. I know I'd spend more time sitting in the garage staring at it than riding it anyway.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #26
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
This is the kind of bike that could make me turn my back on the KTM.
And they sound like sex!
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #27
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,590
Grab some tissues boys

Old 04-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #28
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
In on Tenni green Griso thread.

Mine came set up stiff as shit from the factory. I thought it was terribly rough when I got it as my Ninja 1K was so soft and forgiving.

But I have since gotten used to it and now it feels normal.
Bama67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #29
Milar
Life is an adventure.

Oddometer: 338
Here's a thread from Guzzi Tech about how to adjust the Griso suspension with these suggested settings:

Front
compression: 1/4 T (stock: 1 T)
rebound: 2 1/4 T (stock: 1.5 T)
preload: 5th mark (stock: 4th)
sag: 37mm (stock: 35mm)

Rear
compression: 1/4 T (stock: 1.5 T)
rebound: 40 clicks (stock: 17)
sag: 25mm

http://forum.guzzitech.com/forum/163/3754.html

M
Old 04-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #30
motoretro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Thanks, I appreciate the link and specs. It's been raining the last (3) days here although when the weather settles down, I plan on getting a test ride in.
Motoretro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milar View Post
Here's a thread from Guzzi Tech about how to adjust the Griso suspension with these suggested settings:

Front
compression: 1/4 T (stock: 1 T)
rebound: 2 1/4 T (stock: 1.5 T)
preload: 5th mark (stock: 4th)
sag: 37mm (stock: 35mm)

Rear
compression: 1/4 T (stock: 1.5 T)
rebound: 40 clicks (stock: 17)
sag: 25mm

http://forum.guzzitech.com/forum/163/3754.html

M
motoretro is offline   Reply With Quote